Oral Flea/tick Control

Guest BooneTia

I recently got a flyer in the mail about this. I had never heard of it so I'm interested in what others have to say! It sounds a lot like trifexis. I wonder what the price is on this. We use Trifexis now and have never had a problem with it.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

It was just discussed here two weeks ago.

I think it's too new for many of us to have experience with. But note that it only claims to deal with one kind of tick (the one that carries Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever); it doesn't mention dealing with deer ticks and others (which are the ones we get here in Georgia). And it's not a heartworm preventative, so you'd still need to use that, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It was just discussed here two weeks ago.

I think it's too new for many of us to have experience with. But note that it only claims to deal with one kind of tick (the one that carries Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever); it doesn't mention dealing with deer ticks and others (which are the ones we get here in Georgia). And it's not a heartworm preventative, so you'd still need to use that, too.

What the Merial rep told us is that while Nexgard is currently labeled for only one tick, they feel confident that the data they have will lead them to being able to label the product for all the important ticks; they just wanted to get their product out there ASAP and add the other ticks to the label when the FDA approves their data.

It is more expensive than the Vectra that our clinic has been recommending, but we're finding that a number of clients like the convenience of the chewable and are generally opting to pay the little bit extra. Merial is also running a program right now that if you buy 12 doses of Heartgard and 6 doses of either Frontline or Nexgard, you'll get a $50 rebate check in the mail.

We have had one adverse reaction reported so far, but honestly, I don't remember what the reaction was… just heard about it in passing. Nothing serious.

Just an additional bit of trivia: Nexgard can only be bought at your veterinarian; if you find it online, that means a veterinarian broke the contract they signed with Merial and sold their stock to the online pharmacy.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Is it actually chewable??? Or only marginally tolerable, like Trifexis??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've yet to hear a client tell us their dog didn't like it. The data on their site says that 89% of dogs ate it readily.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I was the original poster in the other thread on NexGard. I did purchase it from my vet and it is expensive - about $122 for a 6 pack of chewables. I have two greys - my female Lia is a little peanut of a grey and I didn't want to put the Frontline Plus on her as it is just a mess on her tiny frame. I gave her the NexGard for the first time about a week ago. She gobbled it up right away and had absolutely no side effects from it.

I still have 4 more doses left of the Frontline Plus and am using that on my big male, Buca, but in comparison, I will say I am really liking the NexGard. There is no concern with not touching/petting after the application like there is with Frontline Plus.

The tablet is beef flavored and about the size or a little smaller than the Heartgard pill, and palatable. Lia liked the taste or it would have stayed on the floor. It claims to kill existing fleas and new adult fleas before they lay eggs. Also kills American dog ticks. That is the only tick listed, but as mentioned above, I think more will be added. My vet also said Merial is working on combining a heartworm/flea/tick pill. Right now you do have to give separate pills (heartworm and flea/tick). It also goes by weight of the dog.

It is too soon for me to tell how effective the pill is as we still have frozen turning to mud earth here, so the nasty critters aren't out yet (I don't think). I am really hoping this works as I am happy with the convenience and no mess on the back!

Edited by greyhoundlady

I just started it yesterday! Sailor seems to have some loose stools, but nothing major and he could have gotten into something on our hike. Both dogs enjoyed eating it and Sailor tried stealing the wrapper from the trash. I spoke to my vet about my concern that it only mentions dog ticks. She actually spoke to the company about that and it also kills deer ticks, but they're still going through the long process of getting it approved.

I like Trifexis. Its expensive however because it's an all in one but it's worth the money.

I like Trifexis. Its expensive however because it's an all in one but it's worth the money.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15