Corns

I know there is probably a forum on Corns already, but just don't want to spend hours looking for it. My dogs are ridden with corns. They never come to a head and get edges around them. The entire pad on one of my dogs is turning to stone. I have had them hulled by the vet for the last two years and have managed to hull them myself, but they never get any relief as they continue to limp all of the time. We are using that stuff from Pittsburg and it does seem to be shrinking them, but the problem just goes on and on. I am at my wits end.

Guest DeniseL

We used duct tape and it did pull a corn out! But it was jacks gel that really helped us. Corns are horrible. Thankfully, miami hasn't had one in about a year, we got lucky....

I have recently discovered the hard way that in some cases all, or almost all, of the corn can be invisible - completely inside the pad. The one they took from Sid's foot three weeks ago was between half a centimetre and one centimetre deep and went nearly all the way to the toe bone. On the surface? Well, after he'd been swimming and the pad had been soaked, we could see a faint, completely flat, vaguely shiny circle, of only 2-3mm wide. I would suggest that anyone who has a dog whose corn is affecting their mobility to a greater extent that you'd expect by looking at it, might be wise to look at surgery.

I know that they come back. I know that recovery isn't easy. However, putting cream or duct tape on the surface of such a deeply entrenched and barely visible corn probably isn't going to do much. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I am on my third corn dog. Each one responded to different treatments. Brady seems to do best with occasional hulling and regular dremeling down of the corn. After I buzz his toes, I use the edge of the dremel and dremel a divot into his foot, if that makes sense. He does much better with this approach. Oddly enough, the corns are smaller - or at least the regular dremeling keeps them to a smaller size. He also wears a boot on the foot with the most painful one. He loathes a boot on his front foot, but will accept one on the back.

Whatever works!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest lanielovesgreys

Vivie is the type that doesn't do well with hulling. It hurts her, it hurts for weeks after, and I'm convinced the pain is worse than when the corn is just hanging out there. We've tried surgery (healing was painful and it came right back. before she had even fully healed from the surgery). At this point, we use burts bees hand salve on her affected foot (All the pads on that foot are abnormal) and keep it dremeled flat. Sometimes I can pick out a portion of it, but I try and be as gentle as possible. It's rare for her to be on hard surfaces and when that happens I either put her boot on or bring a little bathmat for her. I was so frustrated when I was trying to "cure" it. It's just not in the cards for her. So, we manage. She's almost 11.