We are looking for an alternate for the Hills I/D Dog Food. We have stores that carry premium dog food, just do not know what I am looking for.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Kibble or canned?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kibble. I also need an alternate kibble to the Hills K/D. The vet would like protein to be between 24% and 30%, for a greyhounds with Protein losing Nephropathy.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I will just go on record as saying I adore I/D. Beth went on it several years ago when she came within an inch of pancreatitis and despite the price I've kept her on it for three years now because it's been so much better for her digestion than anything else we ever fed. And she has the best coat too!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

You might want to look at the website for Precise Pet Foods and see if they have anything that meets your needs. http://precisepet.com/

Rocket has done well on both the Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice, as well as their Senior Kibble. We ultimately got his tummy issues under control with Tylan, but he did best on these foods for longer time periods than on other foods. Now, with the addition of Tylan, the food is working great for him.

The various foods can be a little hard to find depending on your location, but we are able to order from WAG.com and Petflow. If we were in a larger city, we probably wouldn't have to order online, as it seems they have plenty of dealers in major cities. I am also able to have a local Feed and Tack store order it for me. .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Has your vet ok'd a change to a non-prescription food? If there is a medical reason I would be really hesitant to change, especially with kidney related diseases, unless the change was being supervised by your veterinarian.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

For I/D --

If it's just the Hills that you/dog doesn't like, Royal Canin and Purina make prescription I/D type foods.

If it's cost or prescription that's at issue, I'd probably try either one of the Natural Balance limited ingredient foods, Chicken Soup, or IAMS Lamb & Rice.

For K/D --

There isn't one. Most all commercial foods have way too much sodium and phosphorus. The only one that used to be not so bad (don't know if it still is) was Innova Senior (NOT Senior Plus, just plain Senior).

Good question from krissy.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I use the Royal Canin / MediCal reduced protein kibble for Jaynie. She likes it and to me the ingredients look way better than SD. I also give her an egg cooked in organic coconut oil each day as her kidneys, while compromised, aren't in full stage disease, and I wanted her to have a bit more protein. Got to watch the eggs though due to phosphorus. I have been meaning to look up the idea of grinding some of the shell and adding it to the egg - I think the calcium binds with the phosphorus. (Her daily egg was OKd by her internal med vet, it might not be right for every kidney dog.)

Purina also has a line of prescription diets, but when I compared the ingredients of their kidney diet (forget what it's called) to the Royal Canin, I didn't like it as well.

I will watch this thread for additional ideas. Hope you find something that will work for you.