Amicar Sources/pricing

I need 18 500mg Amicar tablets. The pharmacy where I got the Amicar before for Pinky's amputation is giving me a price of $105something. I do not remember Pinky's being NEARLY that expensive.

I called Walgreen's and (surprise) they were even more than that.

I have used Five Star Compounding Pharmacy before so I was going to call them for a price, but, I wanted to ask here if the price of around $105 is pretty much the going rate now, or if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yep...that is the price for the generic.

I have a county prescription discount card for Rosie's thyroid meds though - they were able to get it to go through so now it is $30some for 18 tabs. I'll just go ahead and fill it :) (the pharmacy JUST called me :lol ).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Yes, about $100 for 15 tabs is about the going rate around here at regular pharmacy prices. I was able to get a much better price with a GoodRx.com coupon. Much cheaper than even ordering it wholesale for my clinic through our distributor. Getting it ordered through a compounding pharmacy is another more affordable option, but I prefer the commercial generic tablets if possible. I asked Dr. Couto and he said he'd never used the compounded form so couldn't comment on whether it worked as well.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It's gone way up in price. I needed it for Nannie and we had it compounded into a liquid. Then we had 100 pills compounded by another place and we just keep them on hand. I know people have found a lot better prices on goodrx.com

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Just thought I'd add that we've been using liquid form aminocaproic acid for several years with excellent success for our excessive bleeder hounds.

Two positive points:

It acts very quickly since it's already in liquid form.

The hounds love the beef flavored taste of liquid form, so they perceive it as a yummy treat.

The downside: Liquid form has a much shorter shelf life (1-3 months) vs. tablets (approx. 1 year).

We also keep aminocaproic acid tablets at home for unexpected emergencies.

Lucky you guys can even get it down there. I tried through veterinary and human channels and aminocaproic acid is no longer available in Canada at all... at least that's what the pharmacists all said when I went in to inquire about it. I'm not sure how I'll get any... very frustrating. I probably should have brought a script with me to Vegas last week and just filled it in the States (not even sure I can do that) but I didn't think of it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

That's nuts. Why isn't it available up there?

Really? I got Henry's at Giant Eagle for $65. Not sure of the exact milligram, but that lasted about a week. We got it in liquid form. I could've gotten it from Walmart for a little cheaper, but they were going to have to order it, and Hen needed it ASAP before his amp.

Edited by a_daerr

I called Monday evening and told them to go ahead and order it. It came in AMD I picked it up yesterday after work. $39.49. Thank goodness for the county discount card.

Clarice's surgery was moved to March 3rd so she will start taking it Saturday. They want her to have it two days prior to surgery.

Guest budsmom

My vet got the liquid from our local hospital. I don't remember the exact price, but I'd guess around $40. I guess it is administered differently depending on if you use the liquid or the tablet.

That's nuts. Why isn't it available up there?

No clue. I would have thought I could get it through human avenues but apparently it s unavailable to us all.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 2 months later...
Guest Sashasmom

I just did some checking and CVS is the cheapest for this drug. You may also want to try Costco Pharmacy. You do not need to be a member to use the pharmacy.

I checked GoodRX and CVS was 49.60 (with a coupon from GoodRX) vs 80.61 from Walgreens)

That was 30 days supply of 500 MG.

No clue. I would have thought I could get it through human avenues but apparently it s unavailable to us all.

I got some for Ben a couple of weeks ago through our vet. Cost was about $50 for 15.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I just did some checking and CVS is the cheapest for this drug. You may also want to try Costco Pharmacy. You do not need to be a member to use the pharmacy.

I checked GoodRX and CVS was 49.60 (with a coupon from GoodRX) vs 80.61 from Walgreens)

That was 30 days supply of 500 MG.

That's the best price I've been able to find too. But it's actually for 30 tablets, which is two 5-day courses for a smaller to average sized greyhound. Amicar is usually given at 500 mg 3 times daily for 5 days. For dogs larger than 75-80 lbs, Dr. Couto recommends 1000 mg each dose, so 30 tablets would only be one 5-day course. I looked into ordering it for my clinic a few months ago, and the distributor gave us a price of $754 for a 100 count bottle!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

My vet was going to sell it to me at his cost a few months ago and his prices was $500 for 100 pills. We got it much cheaper having it compounded.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05