Dap Products

I MUCH prefer the collars. They're more cost effective and work better because they're always on the dog, whereas with the diffuser you need to consider whether the dog will be in the room the diffuser is in at all times (and clearly she won't because you'll leave the house at some point ;) ) and how large the rooms are. I thought DAP didn't work for us until I realized that it was spring and we were diffusing the outside world because the window in the bedroom where the diffuser was was open.

You can only get the collars online. I typically buy them on Amazon. FYI, the small collar easily fits my 70-75 lb male so you can save a little money that way. Each collar typically lasts about 1 month for us.

http://www.amazon.com/D-A-P-Appeasing-Pheromone-Collar-Puppies/dp/B000HPVH6O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392825912&sr=8-3&keywords=dap+collar

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks. So I guess the sentry collar in petco is not worth it?

Sorry, I didn't realize you were saying that was a collar. I have no experience with their brand of collars so can't say one way or the other except that it appears they're significantly more expensive. The Adaptil collar description says it has 2.5% pheromone, but I have no idea if their formula is the same. :dunno

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've used DAP plug-ins with great effect on two of my dogs, but I have to say that the spray was much less effective and the collar was absolutely useless. It had NO effect at all on Renie. I tossed it out after a very short time because it wasn't helping her, and also it was not breakaway.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I really think the plug in is helping. After practice..she calmly went in her crate and layer down. I stayed in room 15 minutes..not relly giving attention. I got up and left for petco. 25 minutes later I returned to a very calm dog. I waited a few minutes..still laying down quiet, and let her out. She is in the kitchen with me now. I was thinking about safety of collar , but will see how it goes.

Great update! :yay:goodluck

Adaptil collar will absolutely come off if it gets caught on something. They changed the design. Although I can't actually imagine it getting caught. It fits like a flea collar, snugly around the neck right behind the ears. Either way, it would come off before it would choke a dog.

I used the diffusers and I felt they helped. I kept one in every room.

I tried the collars on my cats, but they found them incredibly annoying. I use Feliway diffusers for them--again, one in every room! They keep my naughty cat from marking.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am cautiously optimistic! she is accepting the crate with little or no complaining. I have one diffuser in the den where her crate is, she is wearing the sentry collar. Will order adaptic. She also started 3mg melatonin ths morning and comicalm last night. I know its too soon for any effect from the comicalm, I would live to not use my vet said could be temporary to help her learn. I will continue to work with her behavior. Love this girl

I wouldn't rule out the Chlomicalm helping. Violet takes Amitriptiline (she took this before I started her on the l-theanine) and I see immediate results. In fact, when I weaned her off of it, I dropped her down in very small doses (she was originally taking 200 mg/day (!) and I would reduce the daily dose by only 25 or 50 mg and then wait about 2 weeks) and each time, I could see a change in her behavior and then it would level out. Same thing when I put her back on it, I saw improvement relatively immediately. So yes, it may take time to reach full effect, but it could certainly be helping now.

Regardless, teh main thing is that you're seeing improvement, which is great. I'd keep everything on board until she's been stable at least a few weeks and then you can think about removing things one at a time. In the meantime, a webcam is your friend. :)