Does Anyone Else Have A Problem With This?

I got a message on FB for a fundraiser for a GH group in Florida. They get 10% of on line orders.

The group doing the fundraising insists that vets do not have to see a patient to prescribe meds such as Trifexis, Comfortis, Revolution etc. What is a bit more frightening is that the site is also selling human drugs like Keflex and Cipro with no script (which might be a good thing in a twisted way...I get a sinus infection and order Keflex "for my dog" with no script. I am guilty of legally buying my HW from Australia with my vets OK, but this seems to smell like a rat to me to be able to buy (supposedly) U.S. meds with no script.

I dealt with the supplier several years ago. They sent me and others black market goods and were fined $30,000 by the state of California. I had detectives calling me a year later. And these people are still in business?

Go to www.fleastuff.com and look at the products without a script.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That does sound odd.

We refuse to order any medications on-line. Too many illegal business practices.

- Many drug manufacturers do not guarantee (their supposed) products sold through on-line sources. (Many on-line sellers obtain product from illegal sources, and/or sell counterfeit or expired products.) Example: This means if a dog gets heartworm while on preventative, the heartworm preventative manufacturer will not pay for treatment costs to try to save that pet. If heartworm preventative IS purchased legally through licensed veterinary sources and administered properly, they WILL pay treatment costs (which can be expensive).

- Medications are required to be kept within certain temperatures to work effectively (and many are light sensitive).

- It's impossible to assure safe and proper handling, storage, and shipping from on-line sources.

- Most importantly, when purchased through unauthorized sources, there is no way to know what actual products pets are ingesting which could seriously damage their health.

We gladly drive to pick-up pet medications from a licensed local source because of these issues. Also, mailboxes are subject to extreme temperatures whether ice boxes in winter or hot ovens in summer. (Medication boxes or inserts provide temperature requirements.)

Local licensed veterinarians are often a most trusted source; however, if cost savings is of concern, check Costco pharmacy prices for heartworm preventative and other pet medications. Anyone near a Costco might be surprised how affordable these medications are from a local source. (Last time I checked, a 12-month supply of Heartgard was about $80. for Costco members, and just slightly more for non-members. Merial, Heartgard's manufacturer often offers a $12.00 mail-in rebate, which drops that final cost to about $68.00 - 70.00 for a year supply.)

Here's an FDA link. Looks like it is illegal to purchase veterinary medications without a prescription. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm203000.htm

Edited by 3greytjoys

I think[/] that if a drug is OTC in another country then you can legally import a 3 month supply from that country. There are meds packaged & marketed for livestock can be legally purchased OTC that would require a script if marketed for humans or small animals. But there is very little info on that website & I wouldn't feel at all comfortable ordering from them regardless of the country it's coming from. Also, there is a reason some of these meds should require a script. So, yes, I do have a problem with that. Sure wouldn't want my group promoting it via a fundraiser.

I certainly wouldn't and wouldn't like my group to be doing this as a fundraiser - sounds too sketchy to me. Especially for all of the reasons noted above by 3greytjoys.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

That does sound odd.

We refuse to order any medications on-line. Too many illegal business practices.

- Many drug manufacturers do not guarantee (their supposed) products sold through on-line sources. (Many on-line sellers obtain product from illegal sources, and/or sell counterfeit or expired products.) Example: This means if a dog gets heartworm while on preventative, the heartworm preventative manufacturer will not pay for treatment costs to try to save that pet. If heartworm preventative IS purchased legally through licensed veterinary sources and administered properly, they WILL pay treatment costs (which can be expensive).

- Medications are required to be kept within certain temperatures to work effectively (and many are light sensitive).

- It's impossible to assure safe and proper handling, storage, and shipping from on-line sources.

- Most importantly, when purchased through unauthorized sources, there is no way to know what actual products pets are ingesting which could seriously damage their health.

We gladly drive to pick-up pet medications from a licensed local source because of these issues. Also, mailboxes are subject to extreme temperatures whether ice boxes in winter or hot ovens in summer. (Medication boxes or inserts provide temperature requirements.)

Local licensed veterinarians are often a most trusted source; however, if cost savings is of concern, check Costco pharmacy prices for heartworm preventative and other pet medications. Anyone near a Costco might be surprised how affordable these medications are from a local source. (Last time I checked, a 12-month supply of Heartgard was about $80. for Costco members, and just slightly more for non-members. Merial, Heartgard's manufacturer often offers a $12.00 mail-in rebate, which drops that final cost to about $68.00 - 70.00 for a year supply.)

Here's an FDA link. Looks like it is illegal to purchase veterinary medications without a prescription. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm203000.htm

My vet office refuses to write Rx for mail order places for all of these reasons. I can get Rx for Mousie's Tramadol and Enalapril to buy at my local pharmacy where they cost $4.00 each, but they phone it to the pharmacy instead of writing it on an Rx pad.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

My vet office refuses to write Rx for mail order places for all of these reasons. I can get Rx for Mousie's Tramadol and Enalapril to buy at my local pharmacy where they cost $4.00 each, but they phone it to the pharmacy instead of writing it on an Rx pad.

I would refuse to use that vet. There are perfectly reputable online pet pharmacies. My vet even says they will price match 1-800-PETMEDS for flea/tick meds.

I am a consumer when I go to the vet. Any vet who refuses to allow me to purchase what my animal needs where I choose is not going to have my business. I buy HUGE bottles of Deramaxx at 1-800-PETMEDS. They cost me about $300. At the vet's office the same amount would probably cost me $700. No thank you! It's the exact same drug in a sealed bottle from the same manufacturer with a date on the outside.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck