Seriously Fed Up. :(

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

Hi,

I have had Camo since the end of February last year and he isn't house broken but I think it's more than that...

He will spend sometimes up to 20, 30 minutes outside, play, pee, run after whatever... Then, he wants to come in. I open the door, and the minute I change rooms, he poops or pees again, right in front of the door that goes to the back yard.

My two angels, Billy and Astro NEVER did that. Neither does Whippet. Astro could hold it for upo to 23 hours! (It was -40 degrees once and he would not go outside so he held it until he couldn't anymore and decided to go outside after almost 24 hours).

I am at my wits end... Camo is ruining my wood floor... :( I don't really care about the floor itself but I do care about the pee that goes through the cracks... gross...

I have installed a huge plastic (8 X 6) in front of the door and a thing that absorbs liquids. I have two of those and I don't have enough, I wash them everyday. :( Most of the time, his angle is okay and the quilt absorbs the pee, but sometimes, he pees too far from the quilt, the pee runs off the plastic and goes into the cracks of my wood floor. The house is starting to smell like a dump.

I am lucky, I am never away from home more than 3-4 hours at a time so I can let the dogs out often but even if I let them outside really often, Camo always poops and pees in the house.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Can anyone help me?

Once he comes in from outdoor pottying and playing, you could try putting a belly band on him immediately. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Whippet

At this time of the year, walks are virtually impossible. It's a "warm" day today... It's -26°C so about -15°F... We have crazy temperatures this winter. :(

In the summer, I am home all the time (I am a teacher) and I have a screen that the dogs can go through without my help so it wasn't a problem last summer and last winter, well, he did it too, but I blamed it on the fact that it was a new home.

Edited by Whippet

When you are home, keep him attached to you by a leash. If he shows signs of wanting to potty, cheerful, "Let's go out!" and take him straight outside. Lots of praise for doing what he needs to do outside.

Whenever possible, good long walk with lots of potty opportunities before you leave the house. I would probably confine him with an ex-pen when you are not there to watch.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi,

I have had Camo since the end of February last year and he isn't house broken but I think it's more than that...

He will spend sometimes up to 20, 30 minutes outside, play, pee, run after whatever... Then, he wants to come in. I open the door, and the minute I change rooms, he poops or pees again, right in front of the door that goes to the back yard.

My two angels, Billy and Astro NEVER did that. Neither does Whippet. Astro could hold it for upo to 23 hours! (It was -40 degrees once and he would not go outside so he held it until he couldn't anymore and decided to go outside after almost 24 hours).

I am at my wits end... Camo is ruining my wood floor... :( I don't really care about the floor itself but I do care about the pee that goes through the cracks... gross...

I have installed a huge plastic (8 X 6) in front of the door and a thing that absorbs liquids. I have two of those and I don't have enough, I wash them everyday. :( Most of the time, his angle is okay and the quilt absorbs the pee, but sometimes, he pees too far from the quilt, the pee runs off the plastic and goes into the cracks of my wood floor. The house is starting to smell like a dump.

I am lucky, I am never away from home more than 3-4 hours at a time so I can let the dogs out often but even if I let them outside really often, Camo always poops and pees in the house.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Can anyone help me?

At this time of the year, walks are virtually impossible. It's a "warm" day today... It's -26°C so about -15°F... We have crazy temperatures this winter. :(

In the summer, I am home all the time (I am a teacher) and I have a screen that the dogs can go through without my help so it wasn't a problem last summer and last winter, well, he did it too, but I blamed it on the fact that it was a new home.

He spends 30 minutes outside in weather that's -15F (or colder)? :wow

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I would basically treat him like an untrained puppy. He is with you and supervised at all times or else in a crate. The more he does it, the more it will become a habit, you need to catch it each time and bring him outside.

BTW (to the above post) we always do walks in the cold weather. We just did a 30 min. walk at -15F and the dogs are fine. They have warm coats and we keep moving. :) If we didn't we would never get out and they would go stir crazy.

Edited by RedHead

I would basically treat him like an untrained puppy. He is with you and supervised at all times or else in a crate. The more he does it, the more it will become a habit, you need to catch it each time and bring him outside.

BTW (to the above post) we always do walks in the cold weather. We just did a 30 min. walk at -15F and the dogs are fine. They have warm coats and we keep moving. :) If we didn't we would never get out and they would go stir crazy.

I'm just not that tough. :hehe

However, she said that "walks are virtually impossible," with the temps. If the hounds can handle it, and she's already putting Camo out for that long, I don't understand what makes walks "impossible."

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

haha, no most people don't walk their dogs in those temps. I have to because Teague gets very restless if he doesn't get out. But...no....probably not necessary for most greys. I am assuming this dog isn't out for 30 min. in the really cold temps. :)

You got some good suggestions above. It might be time to go back to Housetraining 101.

Have you had Camo checked out by a vet to examine him for medical issues that might cause incontinence? This issue could be a matter of training and it could be physiological in nature.

You might also consider another possibility. Does Camo seem otherwise happy? Does he get along with his companions? Is something in his environment or routine stressful to him?

I ask because when we brought home our girl Fiona she fought constantly with our existing hound. She wasn't happy in our house and she exhibited some similar behaviors. She would go outside and do her business, but then come back in and pee in the house. Sometimes she would even catch my eye, then squat right in front of me and pee on the floor. She was sending a message that she was miserable. I contacted the adoption group for advice and they agreed. We returned her and she went to another home where she was the only spoiled dog. Her potty problems disappeared overnight.

I am NOT suggesting that you return your boy. However, our hounds cannot speak so they have limited means with which to tell us that they are unhappy with a given situation. Peeing and pooping in the house, especially right in front of you, can be such a message. It can be self-perpetuating too. You are obviously frustrated and at the end of your rope (understandably) and he has to be picking up on that. It might be that his state of mind is a factor. A canine behaviorist might be able to help you figure out what it is and how to fix it. Your vet or your group will likely be able to refer you to a good one.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest grey_dreams

However, she said that "walks are virtually impossible," with the temps. If the hounds can handle it, and she's already putting Camo out for that long, I don't understand what makes walks "impossible."

Maybe because she doesn't have to walk in that temperature, which would be impossible. But it's ok for Camo to spend that much time milling about in the yard in that temperature.

We do 3-4 walks per day, doesn't matter what the weather is. When the weather is really horrible, we may do just 15 minutes per walk. If the weather is fine, we may do one long walk of 2 hours, and three short walks of 15-20 minutes. My guys need to walk, to smell new smells and see different sights, to stimulate full elimination.

Part of Camo's difficulty may also be because you are (or you were) considering dumping him (or calculating how much longer he would live) so that you could move in with your new boyfriend and his kids. Dogs are very sensitive to human emotions.

Um. Wow to the above. Given that Camo has had this problem for a year (it was an issue last winter too) I'm not sure that it's fair to say the above. It might, of course, be a contributing factor but this sounds like a longer term issue that needs to be sorted. Vet visit, behaviorist, and toilet training.

Or, given you know he eliminates immediately after being outside, when he's ready to come in, leash up, rug up and take a spin round the block to empty him out.

Edited by Brandiandwe

Guest Whippet

TO VJGREY:

Do you REALLY think I let him outside at low températures like that??? Seriously?

I let him in when he wants to come in.

I was merely giving a GENERAL example.

Edited by Whippet

In temps like that my dogs are outside about a minute, tops, before they start holding feet up because it is so cold.

This time of year my iggies will have accidents in the house. They are millers and like to wander around before they go. Because it's so cold, they reach their point before they can actually go to the bathroom. Some greyhounds are millers too...Carrie was. Thankfully Ozzie and Clarice are good at running out, going, and coming right back in.

I got huge (like, as wide as a twin bed) pee pads on Amazon. They are lifesavers this time of year.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Whippet

Geez... It's like some people think I am stupid...

I do NOT leave my dog outside at temperatures like we are having these days. Why would I say that walks are impossible because of the temperature and then, go and leave my dog outside for 30 minutes? Come on!!!

To Greydreams: He was never house broken, since the moment I got him. At the beginning, I thought it was because it was a new environment so I helped him and put up with it. Then, summer came, it wasn't a problem anymore because of the screen the dogs can use to come in and out. But then, winter came again and he started the same behavior. And by the way, I NEVER said I was considering giving him away or putting him down. I asked if anyone had ever been with a man who didn't like/want dogs. BIG difference.

I have absolutely no idea - none - how long your dog spends outside. If you describe the problem as (paraphrasing) "I'm letting him out for 20-30 minutes and he's still going on the floor," then I kind of assume you're actually letting him out for 20-30 minutes.

Guest Whippet

Thanks to everyone who gave me USEFUL comments and tips and tricks.

I do think he is a happy dog. I play with him everyday (Inside and outside when the temperatures permit), ok, sometimes, just 10 minutes, but sometimes, he gets tired of me before I get tired of playing. ;) Some people will say I am stupid, but he sleeps with me, in my bed, with my other dog, Whippet, with whom he gets along great. I also cuddle and pet him a LOT. He likes to shred paper and toilet paper. At least once a week, I'll give him a part of the newspaper and let him play with it. I will often shred paper with him and throw it around, which seems to be the best game in the world.

I love my dog to death, he has a super sweet personality, he is super curious, intelligent, fun and cute. I take GOOD CARE of my dog and even though I hate when he pees and poops in front of the door, I don't complain, I clean it and that's it.

With that said, I'll check on amazon to see if they still have those huge pee pads...

I have also asked on Facebook for names of local dog trainers that have a good reputation. I was given a couple names.

Are you watching to be absolutely sure he's actually peeing and pooping outside before you let him back in? He should be let out regularly on a schedule, at least 4-5 times/day. But if he doesn't pee or poop outside and you know he should need to (based on an observation of previous patterns), he needs to be supervised very closely when he comes back in. If he's having accidents inside, especially ones you don't see, he's not being supervised closely enough. And since he's going by the back door, it sounds like he wants to go out, but you're not there to see it and let him out.

They should never have the opportunity to potty in the house without being caught, distracted and taken outside immediately. Or better yet, recognize the signs before he goes and take him right back outside at any sign he's considering going (sniffing, pacing, circling, etc). Especially when I have a new dog or foster, I don't take my eyes off them when they're loose in the house, and if I can't watch, they're crated. If you can consistently prevent all (or at least most) accidents, and praise every time the dog potties outside, most dogs catch on to house training pretty quickly.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest lunasmom

Is getting a dog door a possibility for you? It sounds like in the summer he doesn't soil the house because he can go in and out as often as he wants.

Another possibility would be bell training him. The fact that he always goes right in front of the door makes me feel like he would rather go outside but doesn't know to tell you to open the door.

Other than that, I agree with what other people have said about going back to potty training 101. You said yourself he was never potty trained. Just because he is outside for 20 or 30 minutes doesn't mean he will think to use the restroom while he is there, especially if he is preoccupied with playing etc. If you can during the training, keep an eye on him to see if he has peed and pooped. If he hasn't, walk him around until he does (and praise, praise, praise for doing his business outside!) before you let him in.

Hang in there, he sounds like a great boy :) good luck finding a method that works for him!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Are you watching to be absolutely sure he's actually peeing and pooping outside before you let him back in? He should be let out regularly on a schedule, at least 4-5 times/day. But if he doesn't pee or poop outside and you know he should need to (based on an observation of previous patterns), he needs to be supervised very closely when he comes back in. If he's having accidents inside, especially ones you don't see, he's not being supervised closely enough. And since he's going by the back door, it sounds like he wants to go out, but you're not there to see it and let him out.

They should never have the opportunity to potty in the house without being caught, distracted and taken outside immediately. Or better yet, recognize the signs before he goes and take him right back outside at any sign he's considering going (sniffing, pacing, circling, etc). Especially when I have a new dog or foster, I don't take my eyes off them when they're loose in the house, and if I can't watch, they're crated. If you can consistently prevent all (or at least most) accidents, and praise every time the dog potties outside, most dogs catch on to house training pretty quickly.

I was going to say this same thing - Payton will run around and play outside forever and not pee or poop. I always go outside with him and make sure he uses the bathroom.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

For pads we use these by EZWhelp. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B3S3OS/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

They hold up forever and don't clump like baby crib pads do. While no current dogs are leaky I still use these to toss over dog beds on muddy days.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm going to throw this idea in, just in case it might be of help.

Our Ambi frequently peed indoors, if we were gone for a while (3 hr max) or early in the morning- he would wake us up and we'd have to act fast to get him out in time. I watch all the dogs, but him especially to see what they do outside before we go anywhere, so I know he had gone. It became obvious that when he had to go he had to go NOW. He had been checked for UTI's and things like that, the conclusion was that it was behavioral.

We were at his annual vet appointment a few months ago and a light bulb went on inside my head that it might be the food (salt content specifically). Sure enough his food listed salt as one of the top ingredients. We changed his food and have had no problems since.

It sounds like there is more to it, but I thought to let you know in case it might be a contributing factor.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Wasserbuffel

He was never house broken, since the moment I got him. At the beginning, I thought it was because it was a new environment so I helped him and put up with it. Then, summer came, it wasn't a problem anymore because of the screen the dogs can use to come in and out. But then, winter came again and he started the same behavior.

Since he's not house trained, the only appropriate response is to house train him. Like others said upthread, start at the basic level as if he were still a puppy.

Does it always happen within minutes of coming back inside, an hour? If it's just a couple minutes; maybe hang out with him by the door, then put him back out to try again. Keep it up until he's emptied. Can you pen off part of the yard for him to use just for toileting? I set up a potty yard for Jayne that she can access from the deck, but to play in the rest of the yard I have to open a gate for her. This has been really effective for her to recognize when she's to get business done, and when she's free to futz around and enjoy the yard. It also makes it easy for me to watch and make sure she empties, which was very important for the first year I had her, because she didn't know how to wake me if she needed to pee at night. I had to watch her like a hawk at her last turnout and not let her back in until she peed, or it was likely I'd have to clean her bedding and bathe her in the morning.