Help! My Grey Threw Up A Weird White Lump

Guest lucylei

Guest lucylei

My 5 yr old, Missy, woke up just before her breakfast time and started to cry/pace. Then she threw up some yellow bile and a hard lump of some kind, and just walked away. Now her stomach is grumbling and I'm trying to figure out what it is. It's about half the size of a golf ball, and all it is like a ball of wax or hardened fat. No hair, no blood, just this little white thing. Missy's diet was perfectly normal yesterday - nothing out of the ordinary, though we did go to an offleash park and now I'm wondering if she could have eaten something, but it is literally just a lump of white. Any have any answers?

I don't know how long you have had her, but it's possible she ate something before you got her, maybe in the foster home. A friend of mine had her dog for a few weeks and threw up a Barbie shoe! She has no children. She found out her dog had a stop over at a foster home before coming to her adoption group.

My girl Boo threw up a tail of a stuffie toy that was the size of a golf ball after I adopted her. I asked the foster parent about it and she doesn't have toys at her house because her dogs destroy them. Boo must have gotten it before she came to our group.

But then again, she could've gotten something at the dog park.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

No advice other than if you are worried she may still have something in her stomach, a vet visit is in order. What she threw up may have been anything and she may now be fine but if her signs of distress continue, I would be on my way to the vet.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Liz_in_PA

Why not give her a small milk bone and see if the grumbling ceases. Bonnie often needs a little something in the morning especially if she's thrown up bile. She gets too hungry and funny looking chunks might come along

I adopted a senior boy from the local animal shelter who was being fostered. On the day we picked him up, he ate a super ball. ONE YEAR later, he hacked and gagged and threw it up. So it may be from long ago, it may be from the park. I hope you put the lump in the freezer, just in case you may need it later if any symptoms develop?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

It must have been something she ate. Sadi did this a few times, and perhaps surprisingly it sometimes took a couple of days for the offending "item" to make its re-entry. Funniest (and oddest) one was when I gave her a chinese water chestnut...of course she swallowed it whole instead of crunching it up and three days later it came back up at about 5am....when I found it I thought she had gacked up an eyeball! :yikes after three days I had completely forgotten about the water chestnut...she had pooped normally and eaten normally in the intervening days, if something was too fibrous for her to digest it would just hang around in her system somewhere until it was ready to come back up.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

• 7 years later...

Hi,

I"m just wondering if you ever found out what this was?! My dog just did the same (this morning) and has been lethargic and licking her lips for several weeks now.  I do give her the No-hide chew sticks and am afraid maybe she has some still in her gut. Otherwise she eats and poops totally normally...

• 1 month later...

Both my dogs are doing this and this rubber like substance is also in the poo. They don’t eat rubbish or scavenge.

this is also a regular occurrence and the smell is just horrific Iv never smelt or seen anything like it. Nobody knows what it is. It’s like hard rubbery chunks I can’t even cut into them! 🤷‍♀️
help?? 

On 4/19/2021 at 8:29 PM, mgs said:

Hi,

I"m just wondering if you ever found out what this was?! My dog just did the same (this morning) and has been lethargic and licking her lips for several weeks now.  I do give her the No-hide chew sticks and am afraid maybe she has some still in her gut. Otherwise she eats and poops totally normally...

There original poster of this thread hasn't returned with any followups.

Do not give any kind of No-hide chews, including pig ears, etc. Just not safe and if a big enough piece is swallowed it can stay in the gut for a long time and possibly cause blockage.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

24 minutes ago, Aud said:

Both my dogs are doing this and this rubber like substance is also in the poo. They don’t eat rubbish or scavenge.

this is also a regular occurrence and the smell is just horrific Iv never smelt or seen anything like it. Nobody knows what it is. It’s like hard rubbery chunks I can’t even cut into them! 🤷‍♀️
help?? 

How long have you had your greyhounds? How long have you been seeing this mystery item?  Do you have any childrens' toys laying about the house?

If something odd came out then something odd was eaten. Whatever it is could have been in there a long time. The smell perhaps from the gut trying to digest it. I have seen a sock finally pass after a few weeks.

I would suggest starting a new thread in the Health and Medical section here.  That this substance is appearing regularly is concerning.

I know it's gross, but can you post a photo?  Have you can some in to your vet to see if they recognize it? An abdomen xray could show if there are any odd pieces in the intestines and stomach.

Please give us an update in a new thread.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 3 months later...

Ive had this issue with my dog. He is a 16yr old pit with cancer and i cant tell if its coming from his lungs or stomach. Because i have found random pieces around the house. Color looks like a potato, texture looks like a tongue and its rubbery. I have had no luck finding out what it is.

• 11 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 1:37 AM, Will said:

Ive had this issue with my dog. He is a 16yr old pit with cancer and i cant tell if its coming from his lungs or stomach. Because i have found random pieces around the house. Color looks like a potato, texture looks like a tongue and its rubbery. I have had no luck finding out what it is.

Any luck finding what it is?