New Dog - Pooping In House

It sounds like he is doing better and trying to be a good boy. Worth trying a mid-day dog walker for a couple months?

I know it can be hard to find someone both reliable and affordable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Besides the praise after he goes, does he get a treat? Mine will stand on their heads for food. When I am trying to teach them something, they get a special treat only for that specific occasion. Maybe if he realizes that he gets a little bite of something if he goes that he will go faster and more often. Just a thought.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this can be. Goose is simply unable to hold it all day and I finally got a dog door. But, obviously, he had full run of the house at that time. I even resorted to using a belly band and just came home to a soaked one, so it certainly wasn't marking!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest grey_dreams

Zariel also has a whole routine and all the planets, stars, and clouds have to be in perfect alignment. He has a kind of dancing prance where he has to swing his butt just a certain way while walking fast and with his nose to the ground. Sometimes he has done that kind of routine for more than a mile on long walks during the summer :lol FWIW, I know how that is, what you describe with Spock. It's better for Zariel when he is off-leash, but we don't have a yard and mostly have to leash walk (except for trips to the dog park). Once I learned what floats his boat so that he can get into his groove, it got easier for both of us. There are certain things that he really likes and that help him get into the mood, for example, walking through dry leaves or taller grass. I'm sure you already know some things that Spock prefers, and the easiest thing to do is to try to give those opportunities. Other than that, I found that the best thing I could do was completely relax, because if I get even a little tense (knowing that I have to leave to be somewhere while he is still spending time looking for the perfect spot), even without showing it, but maybe my breathing gets a little shallower, then it really ruins it for Zariel, and then it takes him even longer. He's never had an accident in the house, but I won't leave him if I know he has to poo (I'd rather just be late to wherever I am supposed to be). It's been great training for my mindfulness practice :lol Hope you can figure out a routine for Spock.

Wanted to congratulate you on your beautiful boy :beatheart. No expert. Just an idea. Since it is miserable and cold and the dog does seem to have separation anxiety that causes a "pooping" in the house issue have you thought about a "pee-pee" pad or a piece of artificial grass?

I know the idea is to discourage this behavior BUT what if it was placed as close as possible to the door where Mr. Spock usually associates with "going outside" when he leaves your house to go to the bathroom as normal?

Perhaps this would keep the "poop" off the dining room floor and on something you could clean up and let him "know" he still has to "go to the door"/"outside" to go potty.

I don't know. Best idea I could come up with. What do others think?

I also read that leaving the TV on a "mellow" channel or an easy listening channel on the radio was supposed to help with separation anxiety because it was "human voices" instead of silence in the house.

I don't have any advice, sorry. I'm just so happy you and Spock found each other. He's very handsome. I was hoping you would adopt another :)

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Zariel also has a whole routine and all the planets, stars, and clouds have to be in perfect alignment. He has a kind of dancing prance where he has to swing his butt just a certain way while walking fast and with his nose to the ground. Sometimes he has done that kind of routine for more than a mile on long walks during the summer :lol FWIW, I know how that is, what you describe with Spock. It's better for Zariel when he is off-leash, but we don't have a yard and mostly have to leash walk (except for trips to the dog park). Once I learned what floats his boat so that he can get into his groove, it got easier for both of us. There are certain things that he really likes and that help him get into the mood, for example, walking through dry leaves or taller grass. I'm sure you already know some things that Spock prefers, and the easiest thing to do is to try to give those opportunities. Other than that, I found that the best thing I could do was completely relax, because if I get even a little tense (knowing that I have to leave to be somewhere while he is still spending time looking for the perfect spot), even without showing it, but maybe my breathing gets a little shallower, then it really ruins it for Zariel, and then it takes him even longer. He's never had an accident in the house, but I won't leave him if I know he has to poo (I'd rather just be late to wherever I am supposed to be). It's been great training for my mindfulness practice :lol Hope you can figure out a routine for Spock.

Wow, thanks for the advise. I totally know what you're talking about. I hear ya about relaxing. When I'm tense it makes the whole process longer.

I don't have any advice, sorry. I'm just so happy you and Spock found each other. He's very handsome. I was hoping you would adopt another :)

Thanks for the nice words.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.