Does Tylan Powder Cause Bad Gas?

Guest RMarie

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Health forum...oh well. The vet decided to switch James off sulfasalazine and try Tylan powder for his soft poops. It's only been a few days, but he's having the foulest gas that has ever graced the human nose. Is this normal? Food has not changed.

Tylocine (what Tylan powder is called here) is my clinic's go to medication for soft poop. I've given it to every dog here at one time or another; none has gotten gas from it. Sometimes from the underlying condition or from something ingested, but not from the powder.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Agreed. I would think that the gas is from whatever is working its way out of James' system, so to speak, not from the Tylan. Segugio was on Tylan for years and he didn't have bad gas.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

No, we were feeding him powdered goat milk from Honest Kitchen, which had a probiotic effect, as well as digestive enzymes. But once we found out he has too much pancreatic enzyme activity, we stopped it. I'm currently trying to decide what probiotic to use. We used to give him Fortiflora. We'll probably go back to that. The vet just said to make sure whatever we use comes in individual servings, whether powdered packets or pill packets.

After 3 doses of Tylan powder, poo MUCH better (not quite pickupable yet, am still carrying paper plate on walks but at least it's formed)........no gas so far.

That's great news. James' gas has seemed to subside...at least the stinkiness of it. His poops aren't firm to the point that they're bouncy, but they're pickupable and don't leave behind a mess.

I told DH how nasty tylan powder is supposed to taste. He decided to try it. :puke I think he's on board for finding capsules to fill so that James doesn't have to taste that stuff anymore.

Desi's dose is a quarter teaspoon twice a day. After a couple of mistrials, we've settled on a quarter piece of good soft bread, put the powder in the

middle, then just crimp it all up into a cute little doughball. It's thrown in with his meal, and he's been scooping up the doughball first.

I'm seriously impressed with this stuff.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.