Greytalk History

Guest GreysGalgos

Guest GreysGalgos

As a relative newcomer to GreyTalk, and as a real fan of the forum, I was hoping someone might have the time to tell the newbies a little history of the board.

When/how/why did it start? How many members are there? Is the software written just for GT? It's sooooo nice, and makes it easy to use this board! How many countries are represented?

And anything else of interest! Thanks!

Last months logs show visitors from the following:

Canada

Australia

United Kingdom

United States

Poland

Spain

Switzerland

Netherlands

New Zealand

Greece

Belize

Japan

Italy

Singapore

Germany

Belgium

Brazil

Sweden

France

Norway

Mexico

Argentina

Greytalk was started in August 20th of 2000.

I was a member on the old FASTDOGS.com forum and was frustrated that the text based forum did not allow me to post a picture. Bob (fastdogs.com) was having a bit of trouble with the forum at that time as well. I set up a trial forum on ezboard just to play around. I needed to use a different username, and that is how “Grey Dad” came to be. Usually I use Coastie, or Jeff as a username in forums. Anyway, we did a quick 2 week test over on ezboard, and it went over well with the small user base that we had. Greytalk was born, and grew consistently, but at a moderate pace over the year. I remember hitting 100 users and how happy I was. Ezboard while easy had it’s problems. They started charging outrageous fees to use their product, had ever increasing and more annoying pop-up ads and such. In October or 2001 I decided it was time to move away from EZBoard and onto a dedicated server using software that I had control over. Greytalk entered the iKonboard stage. iKonboard was a great software solution, and I still think it was the best looking version we have had to date, although next week that may change. At that time we had just a little Cobalt RAQ4 server. That server was not very high tech, and the structure of iKonboard brought the server to it’s knees pretty quickly with 40+ users online at the same time. Another year later we moved to the current software which is Invision Power Board (IPB) IPB is a free forum script, you can follow the link at the very bottom of the page to their website. I have made quite a few changes from the stock script to make it easier on the members, and make to keep the same basic look as the previous versions of Greytalk. IPB allowed Greytalk to grow and extend the life of our little RAQ server for about another year. We recently upgraded our server last May, so we have much more growing room.

In the future I’ll try to keep Greytalk ever expanding, offering new features and keeping the community growing. I do what I can to have the search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.) come by and index the site. If you do a search for Greyhound Poop, we are bound to show up :lol

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Guest GreysGalgos

Wow! I'm impressed! The grey world is lucky to have you doing this!

They call the Greyhound-L the "Big List" but I wonder if GreyTalk is going to take over that name :)

• 4 weeks later...
Last months logs show visitors from the following:

Canada

Australia

United Kingdom

United States

Poland

Spain

Switzerland

Netherlands

New Zealand

Greece

Belize

Japan

Italy

Singapore

Germany

Belgium

Brazil

Sweden

France

Norway

Mexico

Argentina

All those places. Wow!

Clare and Dylan.

If you do a search for Greyhound Poop, we are bound to show up :lol

:lol That sounded like a challenge to me :P and sure enough, using Google it's the 5th result listed:

Greytalk - Adopted Greyhound Forum. A discussion forum for ...

... GreyTzu, Posted on Apr 17 2003, 05:27 AM Oh poop!! The link won't open! ... Wow....

I used to have to go scoop my yard to see poop, now it's on my computer! ...

www.greytalk.com/~forums/show.php/act/ Post/CODE/06/f/10/t/21425/p/274678 - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

Interesting story :)

I liked the fact that Wendy's Poop post pops up when you do a search on google :lol :lol

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I am so glad that someone asked this question. Jeff, thank you for doing such a greyt job. As a relative newcomer myself, I enjoyed the history lesson!

• 1 month later...
Guest nightfall

Jeff are you colo'd or are you running it from your home? The reason I'm asking is there is zero lag most of the time. It's also nice to know a fellow geek also likes greys as well :)

• 3 months later...
Guest KatieGrey

My profile here is the first link when you type KatieGrey into google. Neat!!!

It's so neat to see that people from all those countries have visited GT!

Edited by KatieGrey

Well. I can't pretend to understand everything you said, since I am cyber-challenged, but your broad member base explains all the wide ranging opinions received when one asks a question. Differing socio-political perspectives appear to have a huge impact even on poop threads!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

• 1 month later...

Greydad (and the others that keep us running) rock!!!!

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest GreyGuy80

Just a question - Ever thought about moving over to another PHP based forum package like phpBB or full community site PHP-Nuke, or is the current front/backend solution pretty much what the future will be with some patching and mods?