Galahad Is Trying To Kill Us...

Guest Heep

He has an unhealthy obsession with the stove & burning his chin on a cooling pan did nothing to curb it. Today, Aisha came home to him sticking his head in the oven door that he opened himself! It's only a matter of time before he turns on the burners & we all die of gas poisoning, fire, or an explosion...which sounds kinda cool, but in reality, it really isn't. The access to the backyard is through the kitchen, so locking him out of the room isn't an option. Putting the fear of God in him hasn't worked either, he'll risk divine wrath & a burnt tongue to see if anything is interesting up there.

Save for taking the knobs off the stove entirely, any advice? We're also planning on upgrading to a new model, any suggestions on what type is safest for curious, foolhardy hounds?

You could probably make a stove-guard out of an old ex-pen or some finish lumber and hardware cloth........

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Get some empty pop cans, tie them together with string and set them dangerously close to the edge. When he goes surfing, hopefully he will knock down the cans and scare himself. You can also do this with coffee cans and some nuts and bolts in the can, basically you want something that will make a lot of racket that can be pulled over easily. The reason why the you yelling at him doesn't work is because you have to be there for it to work, you need to set up something that will startle him when you are not around. Another thing you can do is an air horn and set him up to fail. Put some stinky good stuff on the edge of the counter and hide behind the corner. When he goes for the food, blow the horn. DO NOT let him know it was you that made the noise. He has to think it is some omnipresent event that watches over him.

Guest grey_dreams

In the meantime, it would be best to take the knobs off so he can't accidentally turn something on. Most of the knobs just pop on and off, so it shouldn't take too long to manage. Hope his interest will diminish.

Get some empty pop cans, tie them together with string and set them dangerously close to the edge. When he goes surfing, hopefully he will knock down the cans and scare himself. You can also do this with coffee cans and some nuts and bolts in the can, basically you want something that will make a lot of racket that can be pulled over easily. The reason why the you yelling at him doesn't work is because you have to be there for it to work, you need to set up something that will startle him when you are not around. Another thing you can do is an air horn and set him up to fail. Put some stinky good stuff on the edge of the counter and hide behind the corner. When he goes for the food, blow the horn. DO NOT let him know it was you that made the noise. He has to think it is some omnipresent event that watches over him.

I agree with this....beware of what you put in the cans....some have been known to ingest pennies, etc., as they spill out. Maybe lots of rocks? Or several closed containers he can't get into after it falls - although just pop can's alone would do the trick. (I know from experience) ;)

The other trick could be to put some tape, stick side up, on the edge of the stove....if he's surfing with his paws, he won't like the contact of paws on sticky duct tape.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We had a German shepherd who turned on the stove. My daughter came home to a house filled with smoke as there was a pan of brownies cooling on top of the stove. It is scary. I'm with you on that.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest sireltonsmom

He has an unhealthy obsession with the stove & burning his chin on a cooling pan did nothing to curb it. Today, Aisha came home to him sticking his head in the oven door that he opened himself! It's only a matter of time before he turns on the burners & we all die of gas poisoning, fire, or an explosion...which sounds kinda cool, but in reality, it really isn't. The access to the backyard is through the kitchen, so locking him out of the room isn't an option. Putting the fear of God in him hasn't worked either, he'll risk divine wrath & a burnt tongue to see if anything is interesting up there.

Save for taking the knobs off the stove entirely, any advice? We're also planning on upgrading to a new model, any suggestions on what type is safest for curious, foolhardy hounds?

Can you lock the oven - ours is self cleaning so we can lock it even if we're not going to clean at the moment. Going forward - knobs not in front would be a good thought. A baby gate would keep him safe when you aren't there perhaps. Good luck!

We don't yell at him, we actually do try to sneak up on him, but he doesn't scare easily. Soda cans with coins are just things to be knocked down. I've even tried throwing those bang snaps at the ground near his feet. It scares the bejesus out everyone else, but he just ignores it. When I whip out the vacuum, everybody runs for the hills, he gives me a look like, 'quit bothering me, ur blocking my view of the TV'. last night, I was assembling this huge, uncooperative, steel bird cage in the living room. Eden & Yvain hid in my bedroom & Galahad came over to play by stepping through the gaps & trying to run through it like it was a play tunnel.

He is living up to his name a little too much!

If it's a gas stove, there may be a child lock feature on it. I have to unlock mine after every power failure. The stove came with the house, so it was a bit interesting trying to figure that out the first time!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Knobs are off, but I still feel nervous. Unfortunatley, there aren't any locks on ours, it's pretty old & came with the house. Having the knobs out of reach would be nice too. For the next model, we'll look into those features!

What about those baby proofing covers for the knobs on the stove? I never needed them because our knobs were on top of the stove, so I can't say how well they actually work. But most baby proofing products work well for dog proofing. Also, there are products that hold the refrigerator door closed or the toilet seat down. I bet there is something to hold the oven door closed too.

Edited by Acadianarose

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest KennelMom

Knobs are off, but I still feel nervous. Unfortunatley, there aren't any locks on ours, it's pretty old & came with the house. Having the knobs out of reach would be nice too. For the next model, we'll look into those features!

We have these because we also have a toddler: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Clear-Covers-5-Pack/dp/B00068O22S They work great and aren't a pain in the butt to work around. You can also pick them up at any baby supply place. I think we actually got ours at Walmart.

are you sure you have a greyhound not a saluki??? that's typical crazy saluki behavior!!

if you oven is a self cleaning model, lock the over ...if not when you upgrade make sure it's a self cleaning, you will love it.

double high gate across the kitchen in front of the stove, but i won't guarantee that your dog will not eat thru it.i have owned 2 dogs who ate baby gates, both plastic and wood- when there is a will there is a way!! maybe a wire xpen that is attached w/ eye and clips infront of the stove.

:ding:ding