Big Dog Problems = No Dog Park Play?

Guest greymaroon

Guest greymaroon

It's been forever since I've been on greytalk! Bhombolina (aka Ale Flashy), who we've had for over two years, is a great people dog. She's incredibly patient around kids (yes, we supervise), she puts up with nutty Halloween costumes, and she listens to commands fairly well. We moved 6 months ago, and for the most part things are going wonderfully. Since moving, she's got a large apartment to herself, is more comfortable staying alone for longer periods of time, and even has a dog park across the street!

However, the move also brought to light a new challenge: it turns out Bhombolina is REALLY unstable around large dogs. To be clear, we did know this before we moved (we were warned when we got her that she'd bitten a dog in her foster home). She has always been sweet with little dogs (no prey behavior), and has gotten on famously with every pitbull she's ever met. But, if she encounters any dogs (greyhounds included) as large or larger than she is (and she's very small for a greyt), then there's a good chance that she'll become both aggressive and defensive.

Before we moved, this wasn't really an issue. When on leash, Bhombolina can be in the same vicinity with other dogs without a problem. Since there were no dog parks in our area, she was rarely off-leash, except for during late-night tennis court playdates with her best friend, a pitbull rescue. Now that we've moved, though, we live across the street from a dog park. We thought this would be a great thing, and at first, it seemed it was.

During the summer months, we'd hang out at the dog park, where she'd run and play, and then promptly retire to hole digging and snoozing. She would guard her hole a bit, and snap if a dog sniffed around too long and/or too close. Other than that, though, she hung out nicely enough. As the weather has gotten colder, though, she's gotten less and less tolerant of other dogs.

This is more than a little confusing, because on the occasions she decides she wants to be social with the other dogs, she does run and play, and seems to have a great time. Basically, she sniffs out other dogs nicely enough, but when they go to sniff her back, she freezes, makes a subtly angry face (no difference in tail height, no standing fur, etc), and then freaks, barking and snapping. She doesn't seem to be trying to bite, per se - the dogs are always close enough that she could easily sink her teeth in if she tried - but she sure scares the heck out of us (and the other dog owners).

It's gotten to the point where my DH stands near her at the dog park at all times, ready to pull her harness away at any moment. She seems to seek out the company of other dogs, but has no idea what to do with it. As if being on the receiving end of sniffing is completely unexpected? Does anyone has any ideas for how we can work on this? Do we just forego the dog park altogether? We've tried treats, but once she gets around other dogs, she's much too overwhelmed to pay much attention to the treats.

Some dogs are not well suited to dog parks. It may be that there are just individual dogs or their behaviour that she finds threatening. By far the best thing for her would be to have controlled one-on-one off leash play with friendly playmates. Maybe find someone with a fenced yard and a friendly dog? Dog parks bring a lot of unknowns and if she is feeling insecure maybe just avoid them? She has survived so far without dog park time :)

My last dog wouldn't tolerate any uninvited sniff at the rear end. Her response was a loud and very deep 'Wooooooof!" which sent even the most idiotic of bossy dogs back a step or two. There would be slightly raised hackles, slighly lowered ears, slightly pulled back lips ... stuff that any sensible dog would know they needed to be careful with. Angel wouldn't escalate to a bite in those situations, most likely because she knew I'd intervene anyay, but if your dog is one of those 'fear-biters' you can't continue to risk it.

The problem in dog parks is you get the whole spectrum of dogs including the mal-adjusted 'punk' ones that don't have much of a clue how to behave... and their owners even less so still. You'll see them walking their damn cell-phones rather than the dog too.

Sooner or later there WILL be a fight and there WILL be vet bills and probably litigation where insured dogs are involved.

So............. how about trying to get a local Greyhound social group together? You could maybe talk to people with a safely enclosed field or a horse exercize yard etc. Play dates could then be organized and muzzles worn at specific times.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine is similarly reactive when it comes to being sniffed. She'll sniff another dog for an hour, but if they go past about a second or so, she's railing on them. My grey is less prone to reacting when off leash, and has never escalated to a bite. Likewise mine has some days and some dogs where she won't react at all.

I wouldn't advise using the dog park with your girl. Especially since she did bite another dog in the past.

I guess with a bite history you have to be extra careful.

We started with similar problems though from your description not as severe, but my Hester would definitely put on a terrifying display when dogs did not give him the space he wanted. What we did notice was that over time as the contact with other big dogs accumulated, he seemed to realize that he was not in any danger and has become relatively tolerant. Dogs have even tried to mount him and lived to tell the tale.

There may be a chance that over time your dog will become less defensive/agressive in these situations. I know you are already two years in, but how much off leash contact of this sort has she really had. Being approached by a large, strange off leash dog may still be a new and scary thing for her and if that is the case there is hope for improvement. If she has already had lots of exposure of this type and is still having problems than more advance training technique or complete avoidance is called for.

Good luck.

It's just not worth the risk, in my opinion. Won't matter who starts it. When a Greyhound is involved in a dog park scuffle, they're often pretty badly torn up just because of their ultra thin skin.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greymaroon

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and advice. We're trying not to stress over the idea that she's missing something really big by not going to a dog park. And luckily, since it's winter, maybe we can catch the dog park when it's empty and just romp together in the snow (which, besides digging in the sand, is her favorite thing, like eevah!).

Thanks again!

11315436224_ecf90f189a_o.jpg

I agree about dog parks. While it's fun to see your Grey run and play, it's not worthwhile to risk a fight and major vet bills as once a fight starts, you will be hard pressed to stop it in time to save your pup or the other. Pack mentality will quickly escalate and some pup will come out the loser. I would love to see our Stewie run with other dogs and enjoy himself but I've seen dog fights before in dog parks and they are not pretty. Now we only allow him free with other Greys and it sounds like that is a bit of challenge for you as well.

Love the pic of your girl and her name is a hoot!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and advice. We're trying not to stress over the idea that she's missing something really big by not going to a dog park. And luckily, since it's winter, maybe we can catch the dog park when it's empty and just romp together in the snow (which, besides digging in the sand, is her favorite thing, like eevah!).

Thanks again!

Yes we try to do that, we have a fenced dog park near us and there's a nice little path around the bigger area the park is in - if it's busy when we get there, we go for a walk. If there are few dogs there when we get back and the dogs were good on their walk, they get to play in the fenced park. This place is too small for the hounds to get up to top speed though, can see Barbie getting a bit annoyed that she has to slow down to make the corners! LOL

Guest Waterdog66

Nothing that a BOX OF BEIGNETS won't solve.

Bring said box of goodies to the park with you and offer them up to the owners of the other dogs in the park to clear out for 15 minutes and let your greyhound run. The owners usually respond quite well to the notion of eating treats and watching a greyhound do what greyhounds love to do.

This is what has worked for me anyway. We are working on socialization and there might come a day when she would be good in the small dog park by our house with other dogs. My sense is that part of the problem is that many of the other dogs we see just don't have good doggy manners and I doubt if Audrey (Or anyone else for that matter) would tolerate bad manners.