What Are You Working On?

Good job guys! Let's see some videos. ;)

So do you want to see some videos? :lol;)

Skye and I are back in class. I don't think we even posted about our previous class. I'm able to take any of the classes at the school where I'm assisting/teaching (yes, I can now include teaching in that description because I taught segments of classes for the first time this past weekend :clap) so we took Wonder Dog, which is their version of intermediate class a little while ago and last night we started Super Dog, which is their advanced/final class. The class is very focused on off leash and distance work, which is awesome for us. Things we're working on for next week:

- Continued work on recalls with distraction

-Distance waits (Skye is a total rockstar with these, she's like a robot - I put her in a sit and tell her to wait and walk across the room, then I release her to come to me, then partway across I tell her to wait and she stops and sits, I release her, she starts toward me, I tell her to wait and so on. We can do this the entire way across the room, it's awesome :lol)

-Lying down and waiting automatically when the car stops, with me turning off the engine as her cue to lie down. She obviously knows wait, but we just started working this process in the car in class tonight. So far, I am able to tell her to "down" from the front seat, then wait and have her stay in the down as the hatch opens and I walk around. We need to firm that up a bit (I'm still tossing some reinforcement as the hatch opens before I start walking around) and then we need to work on transitioning to the car turning off as the cue.

Sorry Krissy, I have no video. :P I should try to get some though, especially of the distance wait work. I did want to make a video of me teaching "Ready, get it" for a friend, so maybe I will do that sometime soon.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see it, Jen! How exciting that you're teaching now!

Little bit of disc work. :) Might make a disc dog out of her yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6XBzaqdV7Y

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I love the videos you post, Kristie!

Here's a video of Spriet rolling a dice:

And during one of the "fun" classes I taught Spriet to grab a tissue (or a cloth pretending to be a tissue). I was amazed that she actually did it. Usually she doesn't take things in het mouth (except when we're not looking) but she really enjoyed this trick.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

Now you just need to get her to grab an actual tissue and hand it to you! What a useful dog she will be! :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 2 weeks later...

Current agility focus: weave poles!

We've got a consistent, speedy set of 6 with entry from all angles. Need to get up to a full set of 12 next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7gUS5Zf-20&feature=youtu.be

Like us on Facebook!

We're just starting weave poles. We're using the 2x2 method.

Yup, that's what we used. Great for teaching entries and I like having the dogs figure it out themselves. I don't think it's so good for footwork though. Kili is just starting to sort hers out.

Like us on Facebook!

So...we are going to start Intermediate Obedience as soon as I have the $$ for the classes.

Sure, we can work on things here at home. But the class provides structure and the opportunity to meet other breeds in a controlled environment. Clarice also seems to work better when we are in class. It's funny...she's very serious when we are there. Reminds me of assistance dogs and how they know that when their vest is on, they're at work.

I'd also like to try agility with her (we have to pass intermediate obedience first). She LEAPS like nobody's business, never hesitates when we encounter stairs (we do not have ANY stairs here at home), and is generally pretty fearless. Not saying I KNOW she would be good at it, but, I'd like to try it and see of she enjoys it :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• 2 months later...
Guest OPointyDog

Resurrecting an old thread to say that I really enjoyed reading the topics here and it inspired me to start working with Mika on some of his issues. When we got him he walked calmly on a leash and would greet other dogs without a problem, but then over the months he got more and more reactive, and would bark and lunge at other dogs. People in our neighborhood were terrified of him. I took him to a professional trainer (the local "dog whisperer") who had some insights into his behavior, but none of the training ideas she suggested worked.

Finally I watched some of the videos online for how to train a dog with "leash reactivity." I realized I was doing it all wrong, since I was yanking on the leash, yelling to get him to shut up, and getting tense every time I saw another dog. I started instead praising and feeding him treats as soon as we saw another dog and as long as he stayed calm.

We've been working on it now for about 4 months, and he's about 80% better, I'd say! Now as soon as he sees another dog, he immediately looks at me because he knows there's a treat coming. It's amazing. I keep giving him treats, and he doesn't react to the other dog but watches me instead. The only times it doesn't seem to work is when the other dog gets too close or if the other dog starts barking. Mostly it's other male dogs - particularly breeds with an upright posture like boxers. For some reason he sees that as a challenge. (he also does this with cars, strangely, if someone pulls over and asks me a question when we're out). We still work on this every day, and I'm happy with his progress.

One of the strangest things about his behavior is that it's very context specific. He's absolutely fine with other greyhounds (90 greyhounds at our annual picnic - no problem!) and at meet and greets - even at PetCo when there are other dogs around. Something about being inside seems to erase the issue.

I think he'd like agility - he's one of those really reactive dogs who leaps up and follows you around all the time. Any movement or noise, and he has to check it out. So we have to work hard to keep him busy. I haven't had any luck with teaching him "down" though.... What kinds of things should the dog be able to do before you start agility training?

Guest Lillypad

Congratulations, sounds like your diligence and work is paying off. So much gets accomplished when postive reinforcement is the inceptive for your hound.

Yay! That's awesome! For agility you'll need a dog who is not reactive so definitely keep working on that. They don't need to be perfect but chances are in any class there are going to be moments where a dog leaves its handler to try to investigate another dog so they need to be okay with other dogs for the most part.

Other than that you need a dog with reliable basic obedience and a good recall as many agility arenas are not fully fenced or the fences are low enough to be jumped.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest OhCatastrophe

I am current working on sit..................

ANY POINTERS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

So far she will only sit on her bed.. no where else.

Guest Lillypad

That is great she is sitting on her bed. It can be challenging to get them to sit at all. You need to work on generalizing her now. I found this advice to be very helpful. http://www.google.ca/#q=Never+say+never+greyhounds+sit+training Good Luck.

Sorry this is the better link. http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.ca/2009/08/greyhound-sits-101.html

Oh man! Kili should have had her first Jumpers Q last night in her first real trial. She ran beautifully and then pulled the second to last bar. Sigh. She almost never drops bars. So disappointing. But really pleased with her performance otherwise. What a girl!

Like us on Facebook!

• 3 weeks later...

Bu killed it in agility class tonight!! We only did jumps. We were working on distance work and crossovers.

This was our last class until fall because when it's nice class is outside and Bu melts down when we're outside.

Johnny did his first proper off leash walk on Sunday and he spends a bit of time off leash each day now (when I deem it safe to do so) .....it's making me feel really tired mentally because I have to concentrate soo hard! :lol

He is being really good, I am very proud of him after just under four months. At this rate we will be able to take him for a run on the beach at the end of the summer (when all the tourists have gone)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Congratulations on Kili's first Agility trial. She looked terrific in the shots you posted.

Bu looks great going over the jumps.

I have not checked in here for quite some time. Nova continues to be less and less scared of things. She has finally gotten to the point where she will let me use the drummel on her nails and although she still hates it she doesn't try to get away, but gives me lots of stink eye. She does love the piece of chicken breast she gets to nibble on after each paw. She now reliably sits and waits for me to release her at meal times. She enjoys jumping on command for a treat in unison with Rona; what a pretty sight. I've tried to get pictures of her doing these things but she remains afraid of the camera and it is difficult to get a good picture of her unless she is across the room.

Any tips on getting her to accept the camera?

Unhappily it appears she might be getting a corn on her hind foot and it is proving to be painful. If it continues to develop it will limit what we will be doing together and what I will ask of her. I had thought perhaps I would try her over some jumps to see if she liked it and then maybe go one to do agility;not to compete but for fun and now that will not be happening. There are, however, many things she will be able to do and we will concentrate on having fun with those things.

Good job Bu! How tall is he? He looks so tall.

I'd love to practice more with Spriet but we're taking it slow.. Her hind-end is getting weak and I know if I'd do more agility or things like that she'd do more than what's best for her. So now I let her search treats in cardboard boxes, egg boxes and newspapers but she always finds them pretty quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions of other fun games we can do? She's very food motivated.

June, maybe you can try to just hold the camera and feed her treats? And then when she's OK with that let the camera make the clicking sound while feeding her? Some dogs are afraid of the "click" it makes while taking a picture, so you might just click a few times (and not even get her on the picture) just for her to get used to the sound.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

He's about 31" at the shoulders. He's a big boy, but not huge. I'm short though, so that may make him look taller.

What about some of the dog food puzzles? http://www.chewy.com/dog/busy-buddy-tug-jug-dog-toy/dp/48815?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAjwjN2eBRDbyPWl0JLY5lYSJACPo0UiZKOI77AMSpZzs-8Plw08JM_OE-r-PwObvrayz8T3JRoCsOzw_wcB

This one is fun. The rope part needs to be pushed in while upside for the good to come out.

Spriet is 26" at the shoulder, so I would consider that tall. ;) A beautiful big boy :)

The puzzle looks great! And is not so expensive, but not available in the Netherlands. Most dog puzzles over here are around $35 :(

Edited by AnneGTS

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

Spriet is 26" at the shoulder, so I would consider that tall. ;) A beautiful big boy :)

The puzzle looks great! And is not so expensive, but not available in the Netherlands. Most dog puzzles over here are around $35 :(

Can you get the bob-a-lot over there? Amazon sells it although I'm not sure what your Amazon access is like. It's our favorite "not human interactive" food puzzle. For ones that require a little more human interaction, I love the Nina Ottosson puzzles. We've been playing doggie tornado a lot lately and I am fascinated by how different each of my 3 dogs' approaches are to getting the food out. I have video somewhere that I need to upload. It actually made me think that I should try nosework with Violet. I'm personally more into doing flyball, agility that sort of stuff with my dog, but man does Violet's sniffer go. :lol

Love the Bu video! :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Congratulations on Kili's first Agility trial. She looked terrific in the shots you posted.

Bu looks great going over the jumps.

I have not checked in here for quite some time. Nova continues to be less and less scared of things. She has finally gotten to the point where she will let me use the drummel on her nails and although she still hates it she doesn't try to get away, but gives me lots of stink eye. She does love the piece of chicken breast she gets to nibble on after each paw. She now reliably sits and waits for me to release her at meal times. She enjoys jumping on command for a treat in unison with Rona; what a pretty sight. I've tried to get pictures of her doing these things but she remains afraid of the camera and it is difficult to get a good picture of her unless she is across the room.

Any tips on getting her to accept the camera?

Unhappily it appears she might be getting a corn on her hind foot and it is proving to be painful. If it continues to develop it will limit what we will be doing together and what I will ask of her. I had thought perhaps I would try her over some jumps to see if she liked it and then maybe go one to do agility;not to compete but for fun and now that will not be happening. There are, however, many things she will be able to do and we will concentrate on having fun with those things.

Gave this a try and maybe with some time. Right now she is too focused on the camera, but when Rona came over to get the treats(chicken breast) she came closer. Patience grasshopper :hehe