What Are You Working On?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is our progress on "sit pretty" so far. She's doing really well and I'm quite happy. This does not strike me as an easy trick for a greyhound. It's cute and it's a great core workout!

First 2 sessions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wova40OoziM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv4UPHwt2tthOhojMb-jtXg

Second 2 sessions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rngh_1dyVNw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv4UPHwt2tthOhojMb-jtXg

Lastly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwJObi1qTaI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv4UPHwt2tthOhojMb-jtXg

Actually, she is even one step past that last video. It is inconsistent but we sometimes manage to get a sit pretty of about 7-10 seconds with no flailing or teetering. Just she always does it when I don't have the camera on! ha!

Come on... anyone else working on anything? Lets see some videos of tricks or commands you're working on!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Just continuing to work on building confidence in my girl. It is a slow process but the progress is there. She has started following me from room to room rather than leaving the room when I walk in. Today we had floors being sanded and I stayed in anther room with the dogs. At first she was totally freaked out then when she realized she could not get away then she checked out and would not respond to any encouragement. After about an hour she came over to see what I was eating (chex mix) and actually ate a couple pieces from my hand. She was still stressed but not "checked out" and by the time they were finishing she was glad to greet the workman.

Guest BiggiesOwner

We're working on getting over Biggie's fear of large men approaching/being near his bed (he gets very growly towards them at times). I've posted about this on another thread as well and gotten great advice. I've been having my Dad and brother (both big guys who Biggie has growled at) tossing him treats while he is on his bed not growling, working on giving him treats for tricks (sit &lay), and I try to drop him some training treats if he doesn't react negatively when they enter the room.

Unfortunately now after 2 days of working on the de-sensitizing training whenever my Dad and brother enter the room Biggie jumps out of his bed expecting a treat from them (he's super food motivated). It's hard to work on desensitizing his space aggression in bed when he won't stay on it!

Luckily my two "volunteers" are proving to be pretty patient in what they regard as a hazardous assignment - Biggie is quite big lol (83lbs and 31" at the shoulder) and shows his teeth when he growls so they worry that his growling = preclude to biting. Just realized I'm working on reducing every male in the house's fears - Biggie's fear of my Dad & brother and my Dad & brother's leeriness of Biggie. I think I might try cut up hot dog's for Biggie and some beer for my Dad and brother tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started feeding Clarice at a raised feeder instead of in her kennel. I started yesterday morning and had to point her to the feeder yesterday morning. Last night at dinner she went to her kennel door and sat, then remembered her food would be served at the feeder so she came over and sat.

This morning she went straight to the feeder and sat. She catches on quickly :)

No aggression issues with Ozzie over her food if he comes near while she's eating. I still stand guard right there with her and I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

We are working on interactions with other dogs. We're visiting mom and dad this evening so she can see Sunny again.

We'll hopefully be starting basic obedience at the end of the month. It'll be good for us to have a structured class and a good way to get some stimulation and exercise because it looks like winter isn't going to want to leave this year.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We both still need tons of work! But, we have fun.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOZ-exHnHU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JewmTv6bc&feature=c4-feed-u

He HATES the catwalk!! He's fine, but decided to take 10 years off my life by doing this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=qXvRL4L2Er8

He limped for a couple minutes but walked it off. They're tougher than they look.

We were FINALLY able to tire Clarice out to the point where she took a nap at mom & dad's house on Sunday.

It's still so bitterly cold, but, she ran in their yard with Ozzie and Sunny for a few moments. Then after exploring every inch of their house several times, she settled a little. She's been pretty quiet since Sunday. She did get a lot of "keep your feet on the floor" experience at their house (they have LOTS of counter space) and since we got home Sunday she hasnt put her feet on my counter here :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Good job Bu! Couple of suggestions, if I may. When he misses something (like not going into the tunnel when you cue it) try to avoid saying things that have that sort of "downer tone" (I'm not sure how else to describe it). Even later when the mistake is YOURS. For example, when Kili misses something and it wasn't my fault I will usually go with a really happy, uplifting "you goof! What a silly turkey!". You want everything to be seen as positive by the dog, and even though there is nothing bad directed at the dog... they don't know that! Another thing, is I notice he's pretty slooooow around the course for the most part. It's normal for them to speed up as they gain confidence, but you also want to always encourage them to be as fast as possible so it doesn't become a habit to be pokey. If YOU run... Bu will run. If you get AMPED... he will too. :) That's why I always look and sound like such a dolt in most of my videos with Kili.

Alright, so Kili is finally back to full steam after her injury. Really pleased with how she's doing. Class was cancelled the last two weeks in a row due to the cold or due to bad driving conditions. This video was our last class 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping to be in class this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jBEaW3xCA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv4UPHwt2tthOhojMb-jtXg

And our newest trick that we are working on is a hip rebound. This is as far as we've gotten so far. This took about a week to get to where we are. From here I'll slowly raise the height until I'm standing straight and not leaning on anything. I'm super excited about this trick. It's so much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHxCrRwHN8&feature=youtu.be

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Good tip on the tone. I don't think I even notice my tone most of the time.

As for speed, sometimes he flies and sometimes he's soooooooo slow. I've tried running when he's in slow mode and he doesn't speed up. He stops and waits for me to come back or he tries to go lie down. I'm aware we won't be competing. Lol

Won't Kili knock you over?!?

Edited by Sambuca

She's only 57 lbs and she's been pretty light on her feet. I haven't had any problems so far unless she hits me in the gut which sort of sucks. Other than that she doesn't seem to hit too hard and as I get more vertical she should be spending less and less contact time with me. I can definitely see her knocking me down if she throws this at me randomly, but if I've asked for it and am expecting it I don't think we'll have any problems.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Giselle

Good tip on the tone. I don't think I even notice my tone most of the time.

As for speed, sometimes he flies and sometimes he's soooooooo slow. I've tried running when he's in slow mode and he doesn't speed up. He stops and waits for me to come back or he tries to go lie down. I'm aware we won't be competing. Lol

Won't Kili knock you over?!?

Video tape yourself and watch your body language. Dogs know how to respond when we communicate clearly, but soooooooo often, I see people in agility hunched over, facing their dog, and patting their legs, saying "Come on come on! Let's GO!" when, in reality, their body language is saying, "Slow down, don't come here so fast. Stay away!" ;) It's a huge layer of stress and confusion added to an already high-arousal situation. Whenever I feel uncertain, I videotape myself, and I can almost see instantly what I'm doing wrong with my body. It's almost always handler error. Good luck!

Great job on engaging Kili with tug, too! That is hard, and it's good to see her so toy driven!

I took Clarice to a meet and greet at Petco yesterday and she did really well. She showed her teeth to one of the other greyhounds meeting and greeting, but, after that she was fine with him.

She loved on all of the humans that came to chat and she met a husky mix and a Boston terrier with no problem.

ALL of the dogs were antsy when they saw a collie. Even Ozzie went into guard dog mode...it was very strange. So either that collie was putting out some weird vibes or they were confused by how fluffy he was :lol

I'm observing an obedience class Thursday night and if I like what I see we'll be signing up to start on the 27th :)

Small victories are still victories :)

Edited by krissn333

OK. So I'm impressed and a little intimidated by you guys!

Meanwhile, back in my world, I'm very proud of Paige. She is becoming less and less reactive to off leash dogs we meet. Brandi is a little worse, but this morning we met a SWF off leash who charged us. Both Paige and Brandi tried once to get at it, but then came back to me, and were quick to follow my lead in circling around and letting me stay between them and it. Progress!!!

OK. So I'm impressed and a little intimidated by you guys!

Meanwhile, back in my world, I'm very proud of Paige. She is becoming less and less reactive to off leash dogs we meet. Brandi is a little worse, but this morning we met a SWF off leash who charged us. Both Paige and Brandi tried once to get at it, but then came back to me, and were quick to follow my lead in circling around and letting me stay between them and it. Progress!!!

That's huge!!! You're fighting instinct. That's much harder than anything else.

I observed at an obedience class tonight and signed us up. Wish I'd been quicker - they are out of spots in the session that starts on the 27th, so, we are signed up for the session starting March 17th.

I enjoyed watching everyone work tonight and found myself smiling the entire time (which was WONDERFUL after a very stressful day at the office!). Clarice may be ahead of the game in some respects as she does sit pretty reliably and she knows "go to your place." My goal is to get her to look to me for guidance and to focus her energy more. We need to work on staying/sitting still.

At the end of every class they do some social time and tonight there were dogs there more reactive than Clarice who are making good progress, so that was also very encouraging. VERY sweet dogs - a little female pit bull and a little Boston terrier. But both are barky and lungy when other dogs get too close.

I was able to talk to several owners after class and it seems many of them have done as I have - adopted a young dog in winter :lol

Mouse and I are working on 'sit pretty' now and I'm still working on her spin and twirl without her snapping at my hand! It's hard because I don't want her snapping but I don't want to diminish her drive either. We have been using a long fluffy tug toy but would like a more purpose built tug for this kind of thing.

This is our second session practicing 'beg' or 'sit pretty' - Mouse has the advantage of being a smaller hound but she still has some core strength to build

Very nice! The core strength takes time to build up.

Like us on Facebook!

Me again! I'm going to share some progress with my girls. Yesterday, we took all three dogs to a nearby park to stretch all of our legs. They all love it there - lots of smells and patting machines (aka other humans). We had seen three small fluffies and were taking a shortcut to avoid them, which unfortunately brought us face to face with two elderly cocker spaniels and their humans who were making excited noises about the greyhounds. Pete went to run interference with Hermon while I distanced the girls. Having watched them for a while and seeing how calm they were, I edged the girls over closer and closer until they were close enough to greet the others appropriately and calmly. Only once did Paige dive at the spaniel, which was when I was patting one of them. I think she was jealous. Then we looked up and saw the little fluffies wandering along. Again, Pete went up and asked for all three of the fluffies to be leashed as two of ours are reactive. No problems. Three fluffies leashed up, grooved past with minimal sniffing or interest. Then I thought the fun would start because we could just see them intermittently in front of us around the curves which excited the girls. But we kept walking, eventually caught them up where they were sitting in the sun looking at the river. They barked a bit, but my two girls held it together and walked past (with Hermon between them and the lunches on leashes) with only a couple of quick glances. Then later that day on our final walk, we met our neighbour with her Pulli. I thought Paige's eyes were going to fall out of her head, they popped out so far! But again, no reaction. Another neighbour came past with her very unbalanced rescue dog who is dog aggressive and a very strong bully cross (perhaps a bullarab) which she has problems controlling and her other dog who barks its head off. Here again, the girls got riled up, but when I hugged them, settled for just watching intently but not moving or reacting. We finally had to walk past those two dogs again (and watch as the neighbour was pulled over towards us), but again, ours held it together till we were ast.

In all cases, there was an explosion later, chasing after birds (who cheat by flying, and by not being leashed), and by barking back at a terrier mix who barked first, but the reactions were quick and easily contained.

Can I say again how proud I am of my girls? You can keep your obedience stars! Because for two years I've been working on this, and yesterday, I REALLY saw how far we've come.

Oh it definitely doesn't have to be about tricks. Any progress in WHATEVER you're working on is great! You could be working on getting your dog to eat slower and if he/she does it - that's progress and it's worth celebrating! :)

Clarice spent several hours at my parents' place last night with Ozzie and Sunny, unmuzzled, and did fine, no issues over anything. And she actually SLEPT for a little while! That's progress...definitely worth a :yay and a :banana

Leg weaves! Yay! Just baby stuff at this point, then we'll move on to the fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-aOX73dvw&feature=youtu.be

Like us on Facebook!

Yes, she likes the leg weaves. High rate of pay out. :P

More leg weaves, stationary and moving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2iJvDobQk&feature=youtu.be

And compilation of tricks we are currently working on (sit pretty, crawl, wave, leg weave):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJeXcON7Bs&feature=youtu.be

Like us on Facebook!