What Are You Working On?

Guest lunasmom

Luna just graduated from beginner obedience, the trainer said it was too easy for her :)

I will probably start the intermediate class in a few weeks but for now we are working on down stay, spin and crawl. She is pretty good at "paw" and I want to start capturing "shake" (full body shake) so that will probably be next

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More core strength learning "sit pretty". I'll be honest... I wasn't sure if a greyhound could learn this one. So far so good with Kili though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wova40OoziM&feature=youtu.be

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Luna just graduated from beginner obedience, the trainer said it was too easy for her :)

I will probably start the intermediate class in a few weeks but for now we are working on down stay, spin and crawl. She is pretty good at "paw" and I want to start capturing "shake" (full body shake) so that will probably be next

Full body shake will be neat. I always thought about that in the back of my head. The winter would be the easiest time for me to get that since they shake a lot more with coats on. In the summer they only shake after coming out of the water from a swim.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I love watching Kili work :) She is quite a long girl!

Question - how do you get Summit to stay so nicely on his bed and not try to get involved? Is it just something that has happened over time? I've been working with Clarice on things but anytime there is food involved, Ozzie is right there and wants to be involved too. This was great when we were working on "Ozzie is here with us so the treat machine is open" but when we are working on other things, Ozzie butting in wanting whatever I'm treating Clarice with. He does a pretty reliable "go to your place" but he won't stay there very long if there are high value treats being given to another dog.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Question - how do you get Summit to stay so nicely on his bed and not try to get involved?

Well, as you can see from the video, Summit does still sometimes decide to come investigate. For the most part though he has been taught to stay in his place and he will be rewarded for staying there. I often throw a treat at him while working with Kili as a reward for staying in his spot.

Like us on Facebook!

Haha yeah I saw that sometimes he wanders over but for the most part he's just chilling out. That's just something I need to work on with both of them.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest Clawsandpaws

So we have been going in a round about way of training Dudley "off" and "go lay down" in an effort to keep him off the couch due to his growling at guests episodes (I have posted in other threads). Since I have ZERO training experience, and Dudley seems to have many quirks that make him difficult to train in the traditional way, we have done our own thing and it seems to be working! Basically, Dudley gets ridiculously obsessed when he knows he is going to get treats, food, etc. It comes to the point where he is almost manic about it and I think it is really difficult for him to concentrate/understand what I am asking him to do. He only does what he expects I want him to do example: sits, shakes and such BEFORE I ask. So I decided we have to work on his impulse control when food is involved. However, he cannot control himself yet if the food is too close to him, so we set up a system.

Dudley now has to "go lie down" before I pick up his food dish, once he lays down I get his dinner together, if he gets up during this, I stop, direct him to lay down again, and then continue. We did that for about 3 weeks, and now we are working on "wait for it" I am hoping that the wait command will eventually help him control the impulse to EAT EAT OMG TREAT EAT FOOD IN MY BELLY, and by doing this it will help him become more relaxed in training sessions so that we can work on other things (such as WAITING to get off the couch until I ask, not just automatically running to me when he hears me getting the treat bag out.) He is doing rather well! This has been about a weeks worth of work at every meal. I am proud of him :) After re-reading this, I can't really explain my logic too well. Sorry!

I think that sounds GREAT!

Might employ some of these methods myself!

Teaching impulse control is great. You could try this too:

Get some food out. Start low value since he is so motivated. Maybe just kibble to start. Put the food in one hand or in a cup and hold it out. If he goes for it immediately cover the food with a hand. Don't say anything, don't scold him, nothing. When he backs off, take your hand away. If he stays backed off give him a piece of the food. If he goes for it, cover it up again. Even the sight of the food is rewarding so when he backs off all you need to do is show him the food again as a small reward. I have a video somewhere with Kili. I'm on my iPad right now so can't link it, but I will when I get to work.

Like us on Facebook!

Erg! For some reason at work a lot of functions don't work. Including the media function, quote function, and the paste function. Go figure. So annoying. I'll have to do it at lunch from home.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Erg! For some reason at work a lot of functions don't work. Including the media function, quote function, and the paste function. Go figure. So annoying. I'll have to do it at lunch from home.

Haha, It's okay, I will wait! You explained it very clearly, we will start working on that too! The one good thing is that he has NEVER tried to get food out of our hands/mouth or from the coffee table (where we eat, since we don't have enough room for a dining table)

Okay, here we go, this should work finally. Darn technology. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ywdZzduoU

Like us on Facebook!

That's really good!

One thing, remember to let him MAKE a choice. So, a few times I notice that your hand is actually over it before he goes to investigate. You want to prevent him from snatching, but the point of impulse control is that he needs to start to make that decision. So let him make a decision... even if it's wrong! :) Put it right under his nose and unless he actually tries to take it don't do anything. If he makes a move you need to be faster, but otherwise you want to give him a chance to make a good decision and back off.

You guys are doing well though! :) He's a smart cookie.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Clawsandpaws

That's really good!

One thing, remember to let him MAKE a choice. So, a few times I notice that your hand is actually over it before he goes to investigate. You want to prevent him from snatching, but the point of impulse control is that he needs to start to make that decision. So let him make a decision... even if it's wrong! :) Put it right under his nose and unless he actually tries to take it don't do anything. If he makes a move you need to be faster, but otherwise you want to give him a chance to make a good decision and back off.

You guys are doing well though! :) He's a smart cookie.

Okay, thank you! We will keep working on it!

That sounds like a very good thing for me to work on with both Ozzie AND Clarice. Thanks for the detailed instructions and tips!

Weave poles! We are using the 2x2 method. Last week she was better (faster) but she has been consistently accurate so it's time to start closing the gap and then adding in the third set of poles. Pretty happy with how she's doing so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjpHcvRoPro&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv4UPHwt2tthOhojMb-jtXg

Like us on Facebook!

Awww thanks. :) I love working with her. It's lots of fun!

Like us on Facebook!

Clarice is going to meet Mom's boy Sunny tomorrow. Sounds easy enough, right? I'm hoping it will be. But given how she reacted to Ozzie when he was calm around her, I'm interested to see how she feels about Sunny, who is boisterous and a big galoot.

I have cut up hot dogs at the ready. My HOPE is that now that she is comfortable with our household here and she knows me better, she will be more comfortable meeting new dogs. I REALLY want to be able to take her to meet and greets and have her be able to be the sweet happy girl she is inside.

Clarice is going to meet Mom's boy Sunny tomorrow. Sounds easy enough, right? I'm hoping it will be. But given how she reacted to Ozzie when he was calm around her, I'm interested to see how she feels about Sunny, who is boisterous and a big galoot.

I have cut up hot dogs at the ready. My HOPE is that now that she is comfortable with our household here and she knows me better, she will be more comfortable meeting new dogs. I REALLY want to be able to take her to meet and greets and have her be able to be the sweet happy girl she is inside.

Patience and the muzzle are your friends. Backed up with hot dog bits. Good luck!

I still muzzle Rona when dogs first come to the house, but within a couple minutes she settles down and it can come off.

Good luck today with Clarice!

Like us on Facebook!

I'm happy to report an OVERWHELMING success with Clarice meeting Sunny today :banana

I was armed with hot dog pieces... I called when we were almost there and told mom to leash Sunny up and muzzle him and meet us outside. Before we could really even set out on our walk, Clarice was so eager to meet Sunny. She sniffed him in the usual custom and then he took a turn sniffing her. She didnt seem to care at all but I quickly started supplying the hot dogs (she is usually okay with brief sniffing but gets antsy if it goes past her time and comfort limit).

We took a nice walk around the neighborhood, they all sniffed and pottied, and we went back to the house.

Fine in the house too - she was engaged in everything Sunny and Ozzie were up to.

Very very proud of her today. It'll be nice when Spring arrives though!

Sunny was happy to have the company...Mom & Dad had to say goodbye to their girl Goody earlier this week - probable brain tumor :(

I am not sure Sunny really NEEDS another dog around full-time, but he does enjoy visitors. Day-to-day, my mom is home with him. So now that we know we can visit without a problem we'll be visiting more :)