Behavior In Young Greyhound - Submissive Or Excited?

Here's the backstory: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/303041-ozzie-is-getting-a-baby-sister/

So...when Clarice came out into the meeting room this afternoon to meet Ozzie, she immediately sat and peed a tiny bit (her two sisters do the same thing). She and Ozzie did a lot of face sniffing and she growled at him lightly. We took them outside and they each wandered around and pottied, and sniffed each other in the traditional way.

I was trying to get her to chase me and she did a little bit, but then stopped. So I was just standing there and she walked over to me, sat down in front of me and just stared at me. I patted my chest with both hands and she immediately put both of her front feet up on me. I get the feeling that this is something she was taught by whomever took care of her at the farm, as she probably wasn't in an actual racing kennel much if at all. :lol

We went back inside. Clarice just wants to be on the couch. She does not act AFRAID or anything, it almost looks to me like she is just so dang excited she can't contain herself so she scoots around sort of hunched up (tail wagging).

Thinking about her behavior today it's hard to know if it's really SUBMISSIVE behavior, or excited behavior that she bottles up. She sits down A LOT. Not once did she stay STANDING for me to pet her. She does maintain eye contact...which also makes me wonder if this is truly submissive behavior or if she's actually just THAT freaking polite :lol

When I met her she was in the adoption kennel at the track on closing day (she was slated to be transferred to MY adoption group that afternoon so I feel that we can thank the fates for the two of us meeting when we did), and she was in an upper kennel and was just so wiggly and kept rubbing herself on the kennel door like a cat to get me to pet her. So that also makes me think that this behavior is more excitement than submission...

So, I know it's hard for you all to just read this and be able to tell me if you think it's submissive or not, but, I am open to your thoughts, and any suggestions you might have for working with her.

It's my HOPE that she could be a therapy dog - she already sits naturally. She is tiny and so stinkin' cute :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

No not at all toward Ozzie...but she was not overly interested in him either. She did not appreciate the length of time he spent smelling her face and told him so :lol She was sitting when she did that too.

I guess the moral of this story is we probably won't know a lot more until she is home and we spend more time with her, but I thought I'd gather some insights here so if I am seeing certain behaviors, we can work on figuring them out.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Either way, excited or submissive, she should be OK to train for therapy dog work. If she's just excited and wiggly, the training will help focus her. If she's a bit shy and submissive, the training should give her confidence.

I would think about the only thing you wouldn't want would be a fear biter, and she doesn't sound like that.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh no, definitely not at all fearful.

I'll be able to get a better read on her once she is home, and I know she will need training in leash manners before ANYTHING else :lol I just hope that she will stay standing long enough to TAKE a walk :lol

Just trying to get myself prepared to be raising a PUPPY again...Ace was just over two years old when I adopted her but she was 19 months old when I met her. That was almost 11 years ago now and I'm that much older (perhaps a little wiser). Everyone I adopted after Ace was a piece of cake...I dont want to start off on the wrong foot with Clarice and get her into bad habits.

Guest Giselle

Submissive behavior are behaviors that dogs display in social interactions to help determine who gets what resource. Whenever you get confused, think: Is there a resource involved? If not, we're not dealing with dominant or submissive behavior. Are we talking about dog-dog or dog-human interactions? By definition, your dog does not display submissive behavior towards people. We are two different species. Ain't happenin'.

What people commonly call "submissive" behaviors are actually appeasement behaviors. Ears back, turning the head away, low tail wags, etc. are all body language indicators that signal "I don't mean any harm" or "Take it easy". Maintaining eye contact with you is neither submissive nor dominant behavior. It is a sign of how socially intelligent dogs are with people :) They're truly fascinating creatures.

I think she'll be fine. She's been spoiled rotten since she was a baby.

They're always very sweet, just young and busy.

clarice1_zpsae5401f2.jpg

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

OMG is that BABY CLARICE???

How do you guys know her? I'm so intrigued and thrilled to see this pic!!! :D

Yeah, Giselle is spot on. I was going to suggest that the sitting, etc. sounds like appeasement behavior. The peeing could be excitement or it could be nerves, you'll have to wait and see on that one and see if it continues once you get her home.

The main thing with that is to identify when she might do it (meeting new people for instance) and make sure that she's gotten a lot of good opportunities to potty beforehand, and to also keep the greeting very low key (have the person ignore her at first). Probably initially also best to do the greetings outside in case she does go, just easier for you. ;)

She is ADORABLE btw. And sounds like she's going to be a sweetie.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks Jen and Giselle for the explanations and information.

She walked into the meet and greet room and immediately did that in front of ME - Ozzie was on the other side of the room at the time.

When I first met her she was in her crate at the track and was just all kids of wiggly and rubbing herself all over her crate door like a kitty :wub:

I don't foresee this being a HUGE issue if it IS appeasement behavior, but, I want to be sure that I am working with her in the correct way so that we get off on the right foot. I'm fairly certain that she can't really help it - she is very young (just 17 months old) and I know that they just don't really have fully developed control over things like that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

She sounds like a dog who is socially well adjusted....she knows just what to do to keep herself out of trouble....always useful.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT