Fda To Regulate Pet Food

MaryJane

The FDA is going to start regulating pet food. Not sure if it will be better (or worse) but, this is a direct result of the contamination of dog food from Chinese ingredients years ago (caused deaths of so many dogs).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/26/health/fda-moves-to-regulate-food-for-animals.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

FDA regulations do not entirely prevent human food contamination, so I don't know how much it will help pet food. But it has got to be better than nothing.

I hope we can rely on this regulation as much as we rely on the regulation of human food, which, IMO, is not much. I just don't trust government agencies to do their job properly.

We had the same thought...

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

FDA regulations do not entirely prevent human food contamination, so I don't know how much it will help pet food. But it has got to be better than nothing.

We had the same thought...

I share your thought and concern.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I don't know what good the FDA is going to do, they don't have a clue why 300 dogs have died.

They also think it's a great idea to grow chickens in the US, ship them to China for "processing" and return the result to the US

without "processed in China" labeling.

Anybody want some unlabeled Chinese chicken soup?

Edited by retread

Guest AngelPup

I hope we can rely on this regulation as much as we rely on the regulation of human food, which, IMO, is not much. I just don't trust government agencies to do their job properly.

Me either. But some regulation is better than no regulation.

I don't know what good the FDA is going to do, they don't have a clue why 300 dogs have died.

It's not just about the jerky treats, but about the increase in dog food recalls due to salmonella and so on. There have been a lot over the past few years. It also is going to apply to farm animal feed, too.

I'm not sure the effect this will have, I am hoping it will at least make companies more careful, but we will see.

Edited by k9soul

Until the government shuts down again and then we'll be in trouble.

I really need to look into feeding raw. At least then I'll know what I'm feeding my dogs. Going to ask for a big deep freezer for Christmas. Just can't trust much anymore - it's unfortunate.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--