Traumeel And Dasuquin

Guest Addie

Traumeel and Dasuquin were suggested to me for London's spondalosis. Anyone else use the tablet form of Traumeel? It has some scary looking stuff in it like Belladonna is the first ingredient. Other people in the reviews give it to their dogs but I wanted to see if Greyhound owners use it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IGPDQO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YAIVD7JDWMTU

I've used it for myself and my greyhounds with good results.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Traumeel is a homeopathic preparation. The chances that it contains anything other than water (or alcohol) and contaminants are small. I wouldn't waste your money.

Dasuquin is primarily a glucosamine/chondroitin preparation. Those items have not been shown to provide significant benefit for most types of osteoarthritis.

Has your pet had an x-ray or MRI? Is any pain being treated?

Best luck.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Traumeel is safe and effective. I have used it myself for dental pain because I found a study online that showed it was indeed effective. So I tried it and was surprised at just how good a pain reliever it was. It also helps my dogs especially after something traumatic. I use the tincture. Generally you are not supposed to touch homeopathic pills before administration-just drop them in their mouth at the back of their tongue.

It has some scary looking stuff in it like Belladonna is the first ingredient.

As noted earlier, it isn't likely that there's enough of the poisonous ingredients to cause a problem, but the preparation you're looking at has somewhat more of the ingredients than most homeopathic preparations. Belladonna is the least of the poisons in that preparation. Poisons, no benefit (and plenty of studies substantiating that there is no benefit) .... I certainly wouldn't feed it.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Traumeel is a homeopathic preparation. The chances that it contains anything other than water (or alcohol) and contaminants are small. I wouldn't waste your money.

Have you used it?

I know several people on it and it has allowed them to function. It also works for animals. Per my vet I use it when needed for pain and several days before and after vaccinations

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Diane, most homeopathic preparations have no detectable therapeutic ingredients -- by definition. Traumeel, in most preparations, is allegedly* a hybrid of herbs and homeopathy, so it may have some detectable ingredients. Some of those ingredients are extremely toxic, so if they're present in a detectable quantity, you sure wouldn't want to eat them or give them to a pet to eat. The compound itself, and most of its non-poisonous constituents, have no substantiated benefit. The non-poisonous constituents have by and large no use except as placebos -- they've been substantiated to have no benefit many times over.

I am appalled that anyone would use or recommend this sort of thing.

Placebos can be useful, but more for people than for animals. When a placebo such as a homeopathic preparation is used, the animal is still in distress; only the people's perception of the degree of distress changes. That can be harmful to the animal, who can't speak and tell us that it didn't work.

*Allegedly: According to the label. Unfortunately, most herbal preparations are unregulated, uninspected, and unverified. In recent years, there have been a number of studies of the contents of herbal and related supplements. Very few contain what the label says they contain. Many have contaminants, some of which are toxic or otherwise dangerous. (Those things don't apply to purely homeopathic preparations, which are by definition merely water, alcohol, and/or sugar.)