Dog Very Sick After Neutering - Long Term Problems?

Guest Branna

Hello I'm new here, but I found this forum with such good information.

I am about to adopt a wonderful 5-year old male but while he was undergoing his neutering, the rescue organization reported that he became very sick. He lost 10 lbs (!), he wouldn't eat or drink, when he did drink he threw up and was extremely lethargic. This was last week, so he's been back to their vet of course, put on an IV and is doing much better. The rescue organization indicates that he is wagging his tail and seems very happy but he will go back to othe vet on Thursday. His blood panel is now fine and they don't know what whast was wrong with him before. The rescue organization said possibly liver problem, but would know more on Thursday.

Once he's checked again Thursday, we will know more, but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem before after neutering and whether this might be an indication that he might have a more long term problem.

Also, do you think that since this occurred when he was neutering this might cause incontinence or a chronic problem with his liver or something else?

Thank you for all your help.

Was the neutering surgery for a cryptorchid male (one or both testicles undescended)??

Without knowing more details it's really impossible to say. This could be a one-off problem associated with his surgery, or the surgery could have exposed a long-term medical issue. Generally, neutering itself doesn't cause any on-going problems. Make sure your group explains everything to you so you can understand what is/was going on with him, even if he's fine now. And make sure you have a copy of all medical records to take to your vet when you take him in for the first time.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My girl was 6 years old when she was spayed. The morning after the spay, I let her have a little water (during the night, she'd just licked ice cubes), and she immediately threw it back up. The vet's office called to check on her that morning, and when I told them she'd been throwing up water, they had me bring her back in right away for a shot of Cerenia (an anti-nausea med).

I'd never had a dog with any post-anesthesia trouble, so this surprised me. But we came home from the vet's after the Cerenia shot, Silver took a nap, and she woke up starving. There's been no trouble since then, but when she eventually needs a dental, the vet will certainly be told about her post-spay reaction.

It's possible that this boy's problem simply is nausea after anesthesia, and that he lost a lot of weight because perhaps he wasn't taken back to the vet at the first sign of trouble. If that's the case, you'd just want to be sure to warn his future vets to be certain he gets anti-nausea meds early on. And you might want to watch your own schedule with him: if he has to have a dental, plan to be home with him the day after so you can supervise; and don't schedule elective surgery (like a dental) for a Friday if that might leave you having to deal with an expensive e-vet on a Saturday.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Was the neutering surgery for a cryptorchid male (one or both testicles undescended)??

This is what I was wondering too? A longer or more in depth surgery leaves the body open for a longer period of time (i.e. more exposure, most risk of infection). But I suppose the same can happen even with a routine neuter. I can't give any definite answers, except to say the most likely scenario is that he developed an infection as a result of the surgery. Then, from what I can surmise, they gave him IV meds, and he's starting to come around now. If it was an infection, there really shouldn't be any longterm effects. It they accidentally damaged an organ or something, then that's something different. If you're worried about it, request the medical records and take them to your vet for review.

It might have been a reaction to whatever anesthesia they decided to use. He might have a sensitivity to that particular brand (I know part of greyhounds' sensitivity to anesthesia is that their livers are slow to process certain chemicals), or it could have been a minor infection of some kind. It's hard to say without more information.

This is what I was wondering too? A longer or more in depth surgery leaves the body open for a longer period of time (i.e. more exposure, most risk of infection). But I suppose the same can happen even with a routine neuter. I can't give any definite answers, except to say the most likely scenario is that he developed an infection as a result of the surgery. Then, from what I can surmise, they gave him IV meds, and he's starting to come around now. If it was an infection, there really shouldn't be any longterm effects. It they accidentally damaged an organ or something, then that's something different. If you're worried about it, request the medical records and take them to your vet for review.

Hi, all: Thanks for all your replies. I really don't know about the one or two testicals (undescended or not). I thought it was just a standard neutering. I guess I will have to wait to see what comes about on Thursday. Guess I jumped the gun in asking for advice until I had the full story.

Another question to ask is did he have any excessive bleeding (under the skin). Neutering shouldn't cause any liver problems but it may have pointed out an underlying problem. Has he been tested for any tick-borne diseases? Another question to ask them.

I hope all works out well for both of you. :goodluck And :welcome2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

No, you didn't jump the gun. Now you know what questions to ask and what information you will need. It's good to go into these situations prepared.

:nod I agree. Now you know some things to ask about. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown