Adjustment Time When Adding A Second Greyhound

Guest RebekahMike1244

Guest RebekahMike1244

Hi All,

We got our first greyhound (Ken) in April, and last week brought home a sister for him (Grace). We went to the rescue 3 times and let him spend time with several dogs, and he was clearly into Grace.

Unfortunately, now that we brought her home, he seems to be rather confused and sad. They aren't aggressive with each other (except during play so we watch them very closely), but it is clear that he does not like another dog to compete with for our attention. We are doing our best to give him extra love and spend time just with him every day, but I am worried that he won't bounce back. I feel terrible, since we got another greyhound because we love them, but also because we thought it would be really nice companionship for when we arent home during the day.

Is this typical behavior when a new dog is introduced?

thank you!

RS

He will adjust, it just takes time. Meeting a dog out and about is a lot different than sharing a home with one and he's probably feeling some uncertainty and confusion. He hasn't been there too long himself and suddenly things have changed again. I have not added a 2nd greyhound before; however many times I have added another dog to my pack in past years. I pretty much expect things to be rocky and uncomfortable for a while now. I always feel bad and worry each time still.

There were problems when I brought Rudy home at the end of January with my 2 girls. There were actually a couple scraps with my oldest, resulting in her becoming very fearful of him for a while. For awhile she would not even lay in the same room with him. He took over where she used to sleep, and I felt really sad and even a bit guilty. She is 14 years old and I wondered if I had pushed something on her in the late part of her life that would permanently cause stress.

Well, the good news is they are completely all fine with each other now. She's back to laying in her normal spots, they trade off with different beds, there are no fights and they even run and play a bit together outside at times. It did take time, however. It took a couple months before the tension really died down and then a few more weeks before they actually showed playfulness with each other.

So rest assured that they really can adjust, it just takes time, patience, and living together. I find taking them on walks together and various outings can really help build rapport too. But it's just not going to be an overnight thing. After all, I may like visiting friends but learning to live in the same house with them would be a major adjustment!

Yes, it's perfectly normal. Yes, it will likely get better. Time and patience. Patience and time.

He was likely just beginning to feel like the place was *his* and settled into the routine and schedule of your home. Now, he has to adjust again. And likely, there will be another period of adjustment as your new girl settles down and her personality starts coming out more. Just encourage both of them as you feel they need it, and let them work out how their new pack dynamics are going to work. There might even be some snarking or minor growling events. These are NOT a signal that either of them are aggressive. They're just letting each other know what their boundaries are. Only step in if one or the other doesn't seem to be respecting those boundaries.

Going for outings and walking them together will help increase the pack bond between them. I also try and give both new and established dogs some daily one-on-one time, just so they have a break and they can just be - whether that's taking them out in the yard solo, or a short walk, or just sitting in a room with them alone and giving them affection/attention.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, it's perfectly normal. Yes, it will likely get better. Time and patience. Patience and time.

He was likely just beginning to feel like the place was *his* and settled into the routine and schedule of your home. Now, he has to adjust again. And likely, there will be another period of adjustment as your new girl settles down and her personality starts coming out more. Just encourage both of them as you feel they need it, and let them work out how their new pack dynamics are going to work. There might even be some snarking or minor growling events. These are NOT a signal that either of them are aggressive. They're just letting each other know what their boundaries are. Only step in if one or the other doesn't seem to be respecting those boundaries.

Going for outings and walking them together will help increase the pack bond between them. I also try and give both new and established dogs some daily one-on-one time, just so they have a break and they can just be - whether that's taking them out in the yard solo, or a short walk, or just sitting in a room with them alone and giving them affection/attention.

Greysmom describes it well. There certainly was some growling and snarling between my two as they sorted out their boundaries. ie the stuffie is MINE if it is on MY bed (even partially) and you can't touch it until it away from my bed.

Going for walks as a group really helped our boys. And establishing routines that applied to both of them helped too. Stolie always gets things first - nail clipping, dinner, treats, leash on.... And I have a very firm feeding routine with exactly the same ingredients (different amounts) for both.

My boys are like two peas in a pod now (a year later) and dote on each other, but I still notice that one of them will get out of sorts if they perceive that I am giving the other more attention. lol

It's taken a month or so for number three to be accepted. We've had two all along so the growling, barking, snarling etc is accepted as pretty normal so we chilled and intervene only if things are getting intense. They all argue about who's getting the best bed in te sitting room and who's going to be on th couch with the hoomans. Usually it's first in best dressed but they seem to rotate fairly amicably. They all get individual attention. They all get walked together.

It will settle down. You just need to be relaxed.

Summit moped for a month after we brought home Kili. I think part of it was that an 8 week old puppy takes A LOT of time. Anyway, he got over it and now things are good in the house again. What is interesting is how he KNEW this one was staying. I mean, we've dog sat several times and fostered short term. The one dog we dog sat was with us for 3 weeks! Summit had no problem with that. The day Kili came home he seemed to know she wasn't going anywhere. Go figure.

I try to give each dog some time every day alone with me, either on a walk or training.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Good points already but one thing I'll add is that your grey may be picking up on your moods. If you are anxious about the situation, your dog may sense this. Best advice I have is that we often attribute human emotions to dogs and forget that they are dogs, not humans.

We just added a 3rd to our family and I let them work it out because our other 2 are the best teachers. In saying this though, it was pretty seamless, a couple of snarks which Katie deserved (she tried to mount them) and all is well.

Relax, let them work it out, and give them both time to adjust to the new situation.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

always put Ken first, so he knows he isn't being replaced, or Grace favored. Feed him first, put his leash on first, pet him first when you get home, give him treats first, etc... give Grace everything second, so she doesn't think she is top dog and understands he is the senior and gives him his respect. That will help in their bonding. He will realize she's his mate and it's ok to share. Give them time. And congrats on the second addition.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Dogs love routine; when the routine is broken they sort of go berserk for a bit. Getting out suitcases out packing boxes for the charity shop make my dogs go nutZ, greys as well as other breeds. Bringing in a large package, say an Amazon delivery makes them go nutZ. There are new smells and apparently it's very very exciting ;-)

Once a new routine is established with the new puppy-child they will be fine.

If the new pup hasn't lived in a home before, it will take him some time to develop his own unique personality. The older pup is likely still finding his true self as well. You are in a wonderful place to watch your dogs develop their full potential in a loving forever home. Each one is different and you will be able to watch them as they figure out who they are. For me, that's part of the fun of adopting.

My Dot is sweet, low key, and a snuggler, she's two and a half and we've had her for a year. Annie is a tail wagging, excited to be here...pet me...wait...let me muzzle punch you to get attention...inquisitive girl, she's also two and a half, and we've had her three weeks.

Most of the time they love each other, nap touching each other, and play outside together. Some things they prefer not to share and occasionally they have 'words'. Nothing serious, like normal siblings whether two or four legged ;-)

Enjoy the process, and don't feel guilty!

Wow! Reading all these replies makes me think that I have an atypical grey. I have been fostering on and off for about three or four years so Sally came in as a foster. Mensa was very happy to have another grey in the house. Always has been. My fosters never seemed to last more than a month, most only a week or two before they were adopted. So when Sally didn't leave...... There were never any problems between the two. Mensa was just happy to have a sister he could run with outside. I do have to muzzle him though when they are outside. He likes to play rough and I found out the hard way how thin greyhound skin can be.

Relax and they will relax. Don't sweat the small stuff. In our existing pack we have those that will push their way to the front for attention and those that are content to wait until we can get to them. It's all the personality of the dog. It doesn't particularly mean that he doesn't like having her there, he just feels the need to be first. Honestly, with those does, I don't give them any more attention than I do the rest because I don't want to reinforce the behavior. Every dog we have brought into our home has fit in once their adjustment period has passed. Until then we may hear a low growl or two and I usually watch carefully but try not to interfere and let them work it out between them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I foster a lot, at the moment I have 2 boys & just adopted a girl. Smiley gets alittle sad....so I spend some extra time with him, take him to the Petco to get food etc...soon he gets past it, but it seems to happen when I bring boy fosters more than girls.

The group I foster for is in Missouri, but recently I had 2 families from the Memphis area want to adopt so I did home visits...I took the pup with me to see & be in their home, meet their cat & he has worked out wonderfully & they're in line to adopt a 2nd after they get their marriage & honeymoon over with in November. The 2nd person, I took the dog to their house to meet her 2 greys & he's staying with her for a while. I think sometimes we get anxious, hoping everything will work out.

When I bring the fosters home, I turn everything over to my pups & let them show them the way. I don't hover, I'm not anxious, I go about my routine.
It'll all work out, just give it time & like you said, put the muzzles in place for play time or even when someone gets snippy, put their muzzle on for a few moments, then take it off. It's a great correction tool.

It's also important to add that they may never really be cuddly or overly bonded with each other. They may end up just 'co-existing' and that's 100% okay too.

Very good point.

He'll adjust, just give it time.

Monty adjusted like a dream to our second adopted dog, but gets exceptionally woeful if we bring a third dog in the house for babysitting or fostering. Oh my goodness can that dog pout! Mournful looks at us, huge put-upon sighs, lagging at the farthest back he can get when being walked.... The thing is he's just fine after a couple of weeks - now. The first dog we took care of for a longer period (4 weeks), Monty pouted the entire time the dog was at our house. Then with the second, he pouted for about 4 weeks (we had him for 9 weeks) and then was fine. With the third dog, he just gave us the eyes and huge sighs for a couple of days (that dog was here for 2 weeks). I think the fact that we made the new dog adjust to what we had going already really helped him get over his funk. Monty's premier bed is his bed, and others were added for the additional 4-footed ones. We'd encourage the other dogs to choose an alternate bed over his, so at least that part of it was still the same. And feeding routines were always the same, too.

Guest RebekahMike1244

Thank you all so much for the replies. It is so helpful to hear your experiences (and know that there is another dog out there who can mournfully sigh like a pro!).

I take all of your advice to heart - most importantly, the recommendation to be patient, let things fall into place over time, and be open to the relationship that forms. It does seem like Ken is getting a bit better with each day, and it is clear that Grace looks to him now and show some signs of affection (face licking) that he appears to tolerate (although I think he is secretly starting to like it).

Again - thank you for taking the time to make a slighly neurotic mom feel much better!

Rebekah

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Balfie

We just added a 3rd to our family and I let them work it out because our other 2 are the best teachers. In saying this though, it was pretty seamless, a couple of snarks which Katie deserved (she tried to mount them) and all is well.

This made me lol, oh Katie, what a social faux pas