Huston's Dental

Burpdog

He still is not 100%. As the vet said yesterday: those canines are really up in there. I called the vet because the swelling on his cute nose was pretty severe. Looks a little better this morning. Still some leaking after he eats. He did get on the bed yesterday (he won't get up if he doesn't feel good or needs an adjustment really bad) and last night he roached for a little bit. Getting his pills in him in the morning is awful :( He won't eat them and he has to have at least the antiobiotcs <sigh>

But now I'm wondering if these dental procedures should be done once or twice a year to prevent such a serious issue again. I hate the thought of her undergoing anesthesia so often but I was really shocked by the 11 extractions. I feel like i've failed her.

Live & learn! In addition to losing teeth, they can develope a cardiac issue from bad teeth (just like people) Some greys need dentals once or twice (I've only had one that had to do every 6 months) a year and some every other year, etc. SieSie had a good mouth and I was able to scale her teeth and she never had a dental once she came to me. Keep in mind, that is one greyhound out of around 30. Most of them have mouths you can't scale even if you know how to (I scaled my Dobes and I didn't know what a dental was until I had greys).

I put off Huston's dental and think about how bad I feel! His mouth didn't look that bad to me. Which just proves it's best to ask the vet (I happen to have one I trust).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

{{{{{{{{{{Huston}}}}}}}}}}

FWIW, it always took Joseph @3 days to recover from general anaesthesia, even when he was a wild young thing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

Hope Huston is feeling better today. Been there, done that. Dentals every 6 months then both lower canines out at the same time. He recovered more slowly than with his multitudes of prior extractions. He did get a dry socket in one so if you get that feeling that something just isn't going right with Huston make sure your vet takes a look at him. Hugs to you both.

He's feeling better each day. Eating mashed kibble, shredded chicken, ground turkey and Stella & Chewy's dehyrdated -- not all at the same time. He doesn't want mixed up food, one at a time please :)

Glad he's feeling better and eating so well. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Dear Huston, please sneak into a box and have yourself shipped to my house. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sorry this has been such an ordeal!

Brooks came to us with all his front teeth (including top and bottom canines) worn down to a brownish-reddish nub. It's actually hard to tell whether they're still even there, or were removed... no one in our adoption group could find actual records from the track. His only teeth that are remotely intact are the ones you can see in the way back when he smiles. He's still a happy pup but I worry what's left will eventually get worse and lead to issues.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

bender had to lose a premolar as he had broken it on a bone and as a result got an abscess - he recovered within a week... the vet was a bit disappointed it had to come out as she reckoned he has great teeth otherwise, so I guess he will get to keep his teeth!

Barbie has had 7 out, the little ones at the bottom front were so tiny I think they hardly counted though! I have been more religious about giving chewy dental treaties and her teeth have stayed much cleaner