Slit In Pad

mychip1

Hi everyone. My new hound....foster turned adoptee....Moxie has somehow gotten a small slit in his paw pad. I noticed a few drops of blood on the floor the other day, but saw nothing nany of them. Today, I saw more blood and found the slit. It is a bit deep, and only seeping blood....not pouring. Worried about infection, I put neosporin on it and wrapped w gauze. Any other suggestions?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Is it maybe a puncture wound? If so I would be inclined to do foot soaks with a warm solution of epsom salt & a little Betadyne. Afterwards I would dry it well before reapplying any type of bandage. Having the wound seep some would not worry me but I would probably put a clean toddler sock on the foot to protect my floors & the dog beds. (That's my substitute for wrapping with gauze. Just happens to work well for us.) As long as it doesn't look infected & isn't bothering the hound then I wouldn't be concerned about it.

You can use a boot, plastic bag or even plastic wrap to cover the foot for outdoor trips to keep it clean & dry.

Thanks....good idea!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

epsom's salts or even french sea salt both have excellent healing qualities. i usually apply the triple antibiotic once and then soak 2xs a day. a sock will most likely provide enough protection from dirt and debris. it's generally a week for a split or cut pad to heal- we have had plenty of them around here. utility walks for a week and then your pup should be good to go! if the pup is a bad as my two, saliva will do the trick....mine eat bandages, unless it's really bad i give up and let them lick, but i still soak since it helps dry up the cut.

Guest Lochshumans

This is ironic, as this morning when I was wiping paws to come in the house after our morning walk,I saw some blood on loch's paw pad and then saw blood on the floor. I cleaned it with warm water and put some ointment on it and wrapped a sock to protect our floors. I will try some Epsom salts to clean. My question is, how should I go about with our walks until it is healed? We usually do a walk/jog for an hour each morning and then about 30 min in the evening with shorter potty trips in the middle. I don't want to hurt the cut any further, but my boy is definitely used to his walk!

Thanks in advance!

That is ironic. I have never had a slit before.

I did a much shorter walk and tried to keep him on grass so dirt and gravel didn't get in.

Agree with epsom salt soaks if he'll tolerate it.

The little 'PAWZ' rubber booties are fabulous for these kinds of inuries and they are very inexpensive.

We have the 'blue' and they fit my guys. ... a bit tight to get on, but once they're on they don't come off.

I used them for walking Nixon when he ripped his toenail a couple of years ago.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg