Larry Hurt His Paw Pad -- Any Advice?

Larry and Zeke went to our monthly playdate on Saturday -- he ran around a bit, not as much as usual since it was very hot. We only stayed maybe an hour. After we got home, I noticed him moving really slowly, which he does to some extent for the rest of the day since he gets sore from the extra running. But he was moving much more slower and like I said, he didn't do that much running.

I noticed he was walking oddly on his back left hind leg, so I took a look. He somehow "scraped" off a dime-sized piece of the "hard" pad cover, leaving a tender under-pad area. It wasn't bleeding, it was just "scraped". I clipped off the piece that was hanging on by a thread, and put some gauze over the owie and VetWrapped it up. Yesterday, we took off the wrap, cleaned it again, put on some Silver Sheild, and re-wrapped it. He's using the foot, but is still favoring it and walking slowly/funny.

Is there something else we should be using or doing? It doesn't appear bad enough to warrant a vet visit but if he's still not any better by the end of the week we probably will have to.

Does anyone know how long it takes for that tough outer cover of the pad to regrow/reform? Should we be leaving it open and not bandaging it?

TIA!

ps. I'll try to get a picture when we change the bandage later.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

sounds like my dogs, the norm in our house. i generally wash it a couple of times w/ saline solution. only emily was cooperative enough to keep something bandaged. scissor teeth annie and felix chew any sort of bandage off- including a thera paw. so, i usually stick a sock on- regular adult and take some vet wrap, gently bind it at the top of the hock and fold the sock down. it's not bound tight, heals well and it takes a while to chew thru a sock.

it takes a week for cut, sliced, what ever paws to heal. after a couple of saline rinses you should start to see some nice healing. if you have a health food store invest in a jar of french gray sea salt. wonderful healing properties and a pinch of it in your cooking really brings out the flavor. beware- it's not cheap!

well I just took the bandage off as it had moved and was no longer covering the affected area anyway <_<. The area is a little darker now (not as red/pink) as it was on Saturday, so hopefully it's healing up. I did put some Neosporin stuff on it and he's (KOW) leaving it be. We're going out for a bit tonite so I will put a sock over it and VetWrap it to the hock. I always save my old white gym socks and cut them in half to use for this kind of stuff :)

looking at it again, it's more nickel sized than dime sized :( it's almost the entire pad (the big one, not a toe pad). This isn't him, but this is similar to what it looked like (Larry's is more in the middle than the side like this):

hurtpad_zps8c881e52.jpg

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

just caught felix licking away, sure enough he skinned his stop pad- AS USUAL! he has knicked more of his pads, sliced sections off, gouged them, good cuts and then some. i'll give him the pleasure of trimming the hanging skin himself and licking it clean. his stop pads seem to grow back- at one point he ripped most of it off, now there is something to rip off, go know???

- it's like when one(especially me) slices a bit of their finger off. hurts like the dickens, bleeds like mad but eventually fills in.

Guest elliemae421

Just make sure it stays clean!

I see this a lot!

I groom dogs and it is common.

We tell people this and sometimes they did not even know!

It is amazing what I see in a day at work! :bgeorge