Onion Pieces

My question is would a couple of very tiny pieces of onion be toxic to a 70 lb. dog?

In the house I live in, there are 2 kids who cook with onions regularly. Sometimes they drop tiny pieces on the floor. Either they ignore the pieces or don't realize they've dropped the pieces. I mentioned early on that onions are toxic to dogs. Magic is not a huge eating stuff off the floor that he isn't supposed to but he will occasionally and he's never been a vegetable or fruit eater. After the kids are done cooking, I do go into the kitchen and do an "onion check". The biggest thing I've found is some onion skin.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Guest greybookends

Carol I use lots of onions when I make my spaghetti sauce and I usually let the hounds hav a couple of small spoonfuls over their dinner and no one has ever gotten sick.

If it's only little tiny pieces it won't hurt. But if for example onions or onion powder went it the dog's food every day then the effects would be cummulative.

I keep bulbs locked in a cupboard... but I know she dug out a daffodil bulb in the spring as i just found the flower, satlk and a hole in the ground. it made her ill for the rest of the day. The vet said she was big enough for it not to be very dangerous.

Like chocolate, the effects would need to be cumulative, or a LOT of onion at once. A couple tiny pieces won't hurt.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly