Lesion On Side Of Toe - Need Ideas To Protect And Treat

Jaynie has a lesion on the second toe from the outside on her right front paw:

Jayniestoe.jpg

Initially it looks like a light scrape above the lower, darker area, but I just caught her licking it and now the entire area looks much worse. The roundish thing below looked sort of like a dark callous prior to the licking.

I've dremeled the nail down as far as I can. Under normal circumstances her nails don't bother her toes, but it seems to be contributing in this case.

Couple of questions:

- How can I protect the hurt area, especially during walks (no offleash at the moment) - should I just put cotton between the toes and wrap it? (I don't want to keep it wrapped because it should heal better with air, and I can spray it with Dermicare to discourage licking.)

- Now that she's licked it that round thing looks a bit suspect. Any thoughts on that?

My immediate priority is protecting the toe from further damage, but I'm not sure what to make of the thing underneath - it didn't look like much prior to the licking. We do have a vet appointment on the 10th for something unrelated, maybe I should take her in sooner?

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!

Edited by Rickiesmom

If you just need to protect it from the adjacent toenail, you can smooth/pad the adjacent toenail with a teensy piece of duct tape or two -- that makes it more slippery so it won't catch on the other toe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd probably put a blob of cream or vaseline on it immediately prior to a walk but not wrap it. Also might be worth considering if leaving the adjacent nail a bit longer would prevent rubbing. Also maybe you could round off the edges a bit more? I have to do this with one of my boy's nails, otherwise he gets a sore on the adjacent toe.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I use a quick spray of colloidal silver to keep it clean and create faster healing. File the inside of that nail down so it's as smooth as possible. I also agree with the suggestion of vaseline to prevent further chafing and promote healing.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thank you for the suggestions - all good.

Interestingly, her toenail looks OK to the naked eye but a bit rough in the photo so I will smooth that down for sure. Jaynie thinks having her nails dremeled is a spa treatment, so it's always easy to do.

I don't know why Vaseline would promote healing as all it will do is keep air from getting to the wound. Some antibiotic ointment might help--but George has red areas on his hind feet like that. They don't seem to bother him so I leave them. If she's licking it, she could have a small foreign body in there. You might try some epsom salt soaks a couple times a day for a few days and see if it comes to a head.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck