Flea & Tick Question...

So it's time to reorder the Frontline Plus, and recent posts and stuff I've read has got me thinking about switching. I've heard that Frontline isn't working as well lately, and I'm wondering about switching to K9 Advantix II. I also like that it repels and kills mosquitos, and already I've seen tons of mosquitos on Robin during the past couple of weeks.

Two questions, though. First, I remember learning that I shouldn't use Advantix on a greyhound, as it is not safe for cats, and some greyhounds have bad reactions like cats do. But now I've heard lots of greyhounds are using it....so maybe I was thinking of Advantage, not Advantix??? It's something I read on GT, does anyone remember what I might have read?

Second, should I have any concern about switching Robin to a new product now, given the fact that he's older and weaker than he has been. (He's much better, but he hasn't quite been himself since he got so sick two months ago.) Should I be concerned about him having a reaction or something? He's such a delicate flower....

Thanks in advance!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest Clawsandpaws

Frontline isn't working well for me in South Florida. However, if your pup isn't having any flea or tick issues, do you need to switch? I would worry about changing it on such a sensitive guy. (Also, cats can't metabolize the ingredients in Advantix II, so it's a lot more than a skin reaction, in case you have cats or interact with them, it can be fatal if not taken to a vet quickly after exposure) I know some grey's on Advantix II, they seem fine, but I have also read some horror stories that keep me on the Frontline bus. I use an herbal application about halfway through the month and that seems to help.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" It seems like you have some reservations already, I would trust your gut. The good thing is that a flea or tick could be a lot less devastating than an aggressive reaction to the pesticide. (Just my opinion!)

I use Advantix on Summer. I would prefer to use Revolution but I want the tick product in the Advantix. To put your mind at rest, I checked with OSU themselves before I put Summer on the Advantix and THEY use it on their blood donor hounds. So if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! It's a lot "greasier" than either Revolution or Advantage so be forewarned. I put it on in about a dozen locations down her back.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Advantix is fine for Greys. Unless you HAVE cats--and then it's not a good idea cause it get get on the cat.

George used it for two months until my vet told me it was too risky with my cats

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Personally I wouldn't expose my delicate flower to any spot on chemicals or even the myriad of combo things they have mixed in with some heartworm preventives. But then I am a chemist so my viewpoint is tainted lol. I use Preventic collars and am pleased with them. I won't ever use Advantix again as even my "regular" type tough dog had bad itching rxn from it when I tried it on her last year after I got her and then I found out that this was not uncommon. Further the manufacturer did NOT respond to my info request on how to cope with the situation. So I didn't like that either. I think the least they could have done is tell me what to do and what they knew about it. But I guess it kind of speaks for itself that they didn't respond.

Advantix is fine for Greys. Unless you HAVE cats--and then it's not a good idea cause it get get on the cat.

It's mostly just a concern if your cat grooms the dog and actually licks off the product while it is wet. I imagine if they snuggle together, and the cat gets enough on its fur and grooms it off, that may be an issue too. But generally speaking, casual contact isn't going to be enough to hurt the cat, especially after the spot is dry. I've honestly never seen a cat get sick from exposure to product applied to the dog. The cases I've heard about have been when the owner actually applied the product to the cat (either accidentally or on purpose). There's obviously nothing wrong with avoiding these products, just in case, if you have cats, but many household with cats use Advantix with no problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest sirsmom

I had them on Advantix II last year til Nov. with no problems. This year one of mine had a seizure a few days after application and she's never had one before or after. I won't take the chance and have switched back to Frontline Plus. The vet thinks it probably was a certain chemical in the Advantix.

Guest Clawsandpaws

It's mostly just a concern if your cat grooms the dog and actually licks off the product while it is wet. I imagine if they snuggle together, and the cat gets enough on its fur and grooms it off, that may be an issue too. But generally speaking, casual contact isn't going to be enough to hurt the cat, especially after the spot is dry. I've honestly never seen a cat get sick from exposure to product applied to the dog. The cases I've heard about have been when the owner actually applied the product to the cat (either accidentally or on purpose). There's obviously nothing wrong with avoiding these products, just in case, if you have cats, but many household with cats use Advantix with no problems.

If the cat has any contact with the dog when the topical is wet, then it is very dangerous. They don't have to lick the product. If I could avoid it, I wouldn't risk it