Please Show Your Suppport Of The Osu Ghwp

Guest Greysx4

HELP NEEDED - PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

To show support for the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program, readers can let OSU know by emailing the dean’s office for OSU’s College of Veterinary Medicine at thomas.2434@osu.edu The greyhounds would thank you for it.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I just tried to sign up but received a message indicating memberships were closed. Anyone else receive this message?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I just tried to sign up but received a message indicating memberships were closed. Anyone else receive this message?

Yep, that's the message. What message does that send?

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Greysx4

I saw this posted on the GH-L so I guess it's official...

A friend of one of our members wanted to consult with Dr. Couto and when she called OSU, she was told he is no longer there. She was not given an explanation or told where he is now.

I email'd one of the DVM's I've had contact with and that person only confirmed that Dr. Couto isn't there but said she was not at liberty to comment.

I have no idea of where the GHWP stands with Dr. C gone.

Dr. Kellogg is still there for now along with Cristina and Amanda. I'm thinking about trying to get together local greyhound people and hounds to have a "greyhound walk" in support of the GHWP. Maybe meet at Woody Hayes Dr. and Coffey Dr. intersection, walk up Coffey Dr to the Vet Hosp and back.

Possibly even try to get some news coverage if we can gather enough people to come out. I think OSU would like the GHWP program to go away quietly.

I know there isn't anything we can do if that decision has already been made, but considering how the GHWP has touched so many of our lives, to show support for them now is just the right thing to do.

So what do you guys think? Anyone interested?

Next Saturday morning at 9:00?

I believe Dr. Couto is still at OSU. I spoke with someone who spoke with him (at OSU) yesterday. If, in fact, he is leaving and/or the GHWP is going away, I think we should definitely honor him in some way.

Jane

Editted to add: Excellent letter to the Dispatch!

Edited by joejoesmom

I posted an inquiry on the GHWP Facebook page. Here is the response:

We have not been informed that Dr. Couto is leaving OSU. He has been away from the hospital, but we hope he will return soon. - Christine

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest psdirector

I'm thinking about trying to get together local greyhound people and hounds to have a "greyhound walk" in support of the GHWP. Maybe meet at Woody Hayes Dr. and Coffey Dr. intersection, walk up Coffey Dr to the Vet Hosp and back. Possibly even try to get some news coverage if we can gather enough people to come out. I think OSU would like the GHWP program to go away quietly.I know there isn't anything we can do if that decision has already been made, but considering how the GHWP has touched so many of our lives, to show support for them now is just the right thing to do. So what do you guys think? Anyone interested? Next Saturday at 9:00?

I am interested - providing I can get Hutch into the car unaided - DH will be out of town.

Well we have now heard directly from Dr. Kellogg, the doctor who runs the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. She says that Dr. Couto and the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program are still there.

I had been ready to post the following, explaining the possible ways things could have been misconstrued. I guess I will post it anyway:

Regarding the rumors about the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program: I can tell you that Dr. Couto is still present at OSU as of this past week. So far there have been nothing but rumors from people who read that someone who knows someone who knows someone (i.e. 3 times removed) who called OSU was told that Dr. Couto was not there. Someone emailed a vet at OSU who when asked where is Dr. C said "He is not here" and said "I can't comment further".

Here's the Greyhound-L post that appears to have started it all:

"A friend of one of our members wanted to consult with Dr. Couto and when she called OSU, she was told he is no longer there. She was not given an explanation or told where he is now. I email'd one of the DVM's I've had contact with and that person only confirmed that Dr. Couto isn't there but said she was not at liberty to comment. I do know that the Greyhound Health and Wellness Conference that was to be held in April was canceled but have no idea if this is related somehow.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm concerned about the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program as I know it was funded by donations not the University and Dr. Couto was the driving force behind keeping it going."

There has been nothing from any credible source to confirm this. One possible explanation for the above:

Caller: I would like to speak to Dr. Couto.
OSU: He is not here.
Caller: Where did he go?
OSU: I don't have that information. (FYI, the front desk people who answer the phone are not given any information on any doctor's wherabouts -- just that they are on-clinic (available to see/talk to patients) or not.)

The caller is not aware of the above policy and assumes from this that Dr. Couto has left OSU for good.

Then the poster e-mails her vet:

Caller: I hear Dr. Couto is gone. Where is he (or what happened)?
Vet: Yes he's gone (meaning out of the hospital). I am not at liberty to say more (meaning that the policy of the hospital is not to divulge whereabouts of any employee, when not on clinic. Although I don't know if he was out for personal reasons, the hospital will NOT give out any information for any reason in this case).

We get used to the openness of the folks in the GHWP about telling us where Dr. Couto is, but I have had other oncologists at OSU not divulge the location of Dr. Couto to me, even though they know me very well. Either they don't know (most likely) or they don't feel comfortable commenting.

So please don't jump to conclusions that may not be accurate. Let's just wait until we get confirmation of any changes to the GHWP from someone who works at the GHWP before we do anything. If major changes are coming to the GHWP, it is done and nothing we can do at this point can change it.

Jane

edited to add: As for the website page for joining the GHWP: This site is notorious for "going down". From my previous job, I know that the OSU computer network is a HUGE conglomeration of different systems, not all of whom play well together.

Edited by joejoesmom

Well we have now heard directly from Dr. Kellogg, the doctor who runs the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. She says that Dr. Couto and the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program are still there.

I had been ready to post the following, explaining the possible ways things could have been misconstrued. I guess I will post it anyway:

Regarding the rumors about the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program: I can tell you that Dr. Couto is still present at OSU as of this past week. So far there have been nothing but rumors from people who read that someone who knows someone who knows someone (i.e. 3 times removed) who called OSU was told that Dr. Couto was not there. Someone emailed a vet at OSU who when asked where is Dr. C said "He is not here" and said "I can't comment further".

Here's the Greyhound-L post that appears to have started it all:

"A friend of one of our members wanted to consult with Dr. Couto and when she called OSU, she was told he is no longer there. She was not given an explanation or told where he is now. I email'd one of the DVM's I've had contact with and that person only confirmed that Dr. Couto isn't there but said she was not at liberty to comment. I do know that the Greyhound Health and Wellness Conference that was to be held in April was canceled but have no idea if this is related somehow.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm concerned about the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program as I know it was funded by donations not the University and Dr. Couto was the driving force behind keeping it going."

There has been nothing from any credible source to confirm this. One possible explanation for the above:

Caller: I would like to speak to Dr. Couto.

OSU: He is not here.

Caller: Where did he go?

OSU: I don't have that information. (FYI, the front desk people who answer the phone are not given any information on any doctor's wherabouts -- just that they are on-clinic (available to see/talk to patients) or not.)

The caller is not aware of the above policy and assumes from this that Dr. Couto has left OSU for good.

Then the poster e-mails her vet:

Caller: I hear Dr. Couto is gone. Where is he (or what happened)?

Vet: Yes he's gone (meaning out of the hospital). I am not at liberty to say more (meaning that the policy of the hospital is not to divulge whereabouts of any employee, when not on clinic. Although I don't know if he was out for personal reasons, the hospital will NOT give out any information for any reason in this case).

We get used to the openness of the folks in the GHWP about telling us where Dr. Couto is, but I have had other oncologists at OSU not divulge the location of Dr. Couto to me, even though they know me very well. Either they don't know (most likely) or they don't feel comfortable commenting.

So please don't jump to conclusions that may not be accurate. Let's just wait until we get confirmation of any changes to the GHWP from someone who works at the GHWP before we do anything. If major changes are coming to the GHWP, it is done and nothing we can do at this point can change it.

Jane

edited to add: As for the website page for joining the GHWP: This site is notorious for "going down". From my previous job, I know that the OSU computer network is a HUGE conglomeration of different systems, not all of whom play well together.

Did she tell you she was leaving at the end of the month?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm thinking about trying to get together local greyhound people and hounds to have a "greyhound walk" in support of the GHWP. Maybe meet at Woody Hayes Dr. and Coffey Dr. intersection, walk up Coffey Dr to the Vet Hosp and back. Possibly even try to get some news coverage if we can gather enough people to come out. I think OSU would like the GHWP program to go away quietly.I know there isn't anything we can do if that decision has already been made, but considering how the GHWP has touched so many of our lives, to show support for them now is just the right thing to do. So what do you guys think? Anyone interested? Next Saturday at 9:00?

I have recieved notice of this from several sources since last night so looks like it will happen.