Any Other Puppies With Constant Diarrhea?

and are you desperatly trying to have her maintain her weight??? keeping her in show weight?? feeding her more????

when ever dh decides that the dogs look skinny, soft serve and then some. they go all the time, can't make it thru the night and we always have an argument. metamucil, probiotics, digestive enzymes(i swear by them) sprinkeled on the food will give you the fiber, a leaner food and possibly a different souce of protien might be just what might save your sanity.?????

No, not worried about her weight. She goes through cycles of being skinny because of her growth spurts, but then fills out just fine until the next one.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest psdirector

I honestly think it is just b/c he is so high energy. The food just goes through so quickly. I notice my lazier dogs always have the firmer poop. He is digesting the food to a point or he would be a skeleton and his coat is nice and shiny.

Hmm... makes sense! Hutch is the more high strung of our two and he's the one who has poop issues. Of course, he also came to us with a major case of hooks. After three rounds of Panacur we hope he's over them, but he just had another round of semi-loose stools yesterday and vomited once. He was fine after that. But it's true that some days his energy level is off the charts.

Changed her food to a salmon diet. So far so good!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Honestly, we switched Lilly to adult food at about 6 months. Mostly because she is the. pickiest. eater. EVER! And she hated the puppy food. She was ignoring her bowl and raiding the adults food, so I just switched her to what she would eat. I've never had a problem keeping weight on her but we're not doing heavy duty training either.

Just a thought, but the more active she is, the softer her poop is - like it gets all beat up in her system and doesn't form together well - if that makes any sense. The days she just lays around more (HA!) her poops are firmer. If Kili is super active, maybe this is a part of her problem.

And when she does have an upset, it takes WEEKS for her system to even out again. The other adults recover much faster - 10 days to 2 weeks max. Lilly was down for the count for 2 months after fighting off hooks last year.

All mine get full-fat, active-culture yogurt every day too, just to keep everything regular. This seems to work fine for us on an on-going basis.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Honestly, we switched Lilly to adult food at about 6 months. Mostly because she is the. pickiest. eater. EVER! And she hated the puppy food.

Oh god, not here. DBF used to call Summit the "food mongrel" but Kili is 10 times worse. She'll eat anything that isn't nailed down. She gets excited if she even THINKS there's food involved. Haven't seen her turn up her nose at anything I've offered yet.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest borzoix4

Without carefully reading all the replies, my thoughts are that it might be coccidea. They can get it from eating bunny poop etc, and while an adult has the immunity in general in their digestive tract, a puppy does not. If this be the case, and it can be hard to find in the test, a round of Albon will do the trick and quickly. ( results start to show as litter as a full 24 hours)

What Albon does is raise the immunity in the intestine to prevent the coccidea from taking hold and relatively easy to give.

Poops are still good today. Continuing to phase out the old food. We're probably about 75% switched over to the new diet. Guess the chicken diets weren't sitting too well with her. Happy to have nice firm poops again. Never thought I'd be so excited about poo in my life.

Like us on Facebook!

Rabbits carry the parasite giardia duodenalis as part of their intestinal flora, and generally do not experience symptoms apart from occasional diarrhea. The parasite is secreted in their feces, however, and if a dog ingests the feces or consumes contaminated food or water, it may develop giardiasis as a result. Once inside the dog, the parasite makes its way into the intestine, causing diarrhea that is frothy, greasy, contains mucus or has a particularly foul odor.

Without carefully reading all the replies, my thoughts are that it might be coccidea. They can get it from eating bunny poop etc,

Krissy...Don't you have a bunny?

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think giardia would mostly be transmitted by wild rabbits (I hope so because my dogs eat their fair share of house bunny poop!). Also...because the food change seems to have produced a difference, it seems to be more a food issue vs. parasite. Either way, glad Kili seems to be doing better, crossing fingers it is permanent. :)

Edited by RedHead

when we dealt w/ giardia felix's distress was cyculiar(sp?).that's why it took me over 2 months to bring him in for it. finally he started having stomach cramps, but they weren't consistant. i believe that it was in correlation to the production of the paracites. that's why i mentioned both giardia and coccidea in my original post. if she totally clears up on the salmon variety of kibble, then you are right, if there is a flare up, the those of us inclinded to think paracite are. only time will tell or catching her stool at the right part of the cycle.

Update: Kili's poops have been getting better and better. Today she had her first poop that was back to what I consider to be totally nomal for her. The consistency is totally firm and the colour has even returned to what I was used to previous to these problems. Her poops have always been fairly dark in colour (Summit's tend to be a much lighter colour) but in the last 2 months they had been much lighter (more like Summit's). I have even been slowly adding back one treat at a time so now we're up to 3. I will add them all back in avoiding chicken treats for now.

Yay! :)

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Scarter55

It sounds like you have this figured out, but my two cents. Lady is just coming up on a year, and still doesn't have consistantly solid poops. She goes back and forth between a rather thick soft serve and solid. As long as it isn't runny and is the right color, I don't worry about it. However, we have had many issues with her poops being too runny. We generally have just experimented with her food, just like you did. We feed her only grain free; but add in rice. (My opinion on grain free is that you are buying food without cheap fillers. Grain is good for them, I just like to control what grains they get and not pay for rice byproducts or something like that). Pumpkin works really well also. We generally add Fruitables to her food, it is a mash of either pumpkin or sweet potato, which adds good fiber. I also give her frozen pumpkin treats outside on hot days, which she loves.

I also had never been so excited by poops before we got a dog.

Good luck!