How Much Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?

Guest littlesyd85

Guest littlesyd85

I bought some extra virgin coconut oil because I've heard it does great things for your dog's health... My question is, how much do I give them each day? I was thinking about just giving it to them in their food. If you give it to your dogs, how do you give it to them? I'm looking for any advice!

I put it right into their food bowl or they take it off the spoon/ my finger! I give about a full teaspoon almost daily but I do not have any idea if that is enough for 74-84 pound dogs. They have good breath, their coats look good. (I also brush their teeth with it). They tolerate it just fine.

I have put it on them topically for small wounds or dry skin patches. Love the stuff.

PS- I had a black Jasper too, but he was a sheltie :P !!

Edited by nessa

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I found this on a website when I started researching it. Like is says you want to build up the amount gradually or you could give them the big D! :)

How and How Much to Supplement?

Dogs usually like the taste of coconut oil, so it can be added to their food at any meal. Some dog parents just let their dogs lick the oil off from a spoon.

How much coconut oil to give to a dog depends on the size and health condition of the dog, As a general guideline, give about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight per day.

However, remember not to start with the suggested amount. You need to add coconut oil to your dog's diet a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Too much coconut oil at a time may also cause diarrhea and greasy stools in dogs.

As a start, try giving 1/4 teaspoon/day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs, and gradually increase the amount every few days. Reduce the amount if your dog has diarrhea. - See more at: http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/coconut-oil-benefits.html#sthash.ylB9vwWf.dpuf

Edited by BellaBean

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

I've been using coconut oil for almost a year now. My dogs love it! I just give them a heaping teaspoon on top of their dinner. I also brush their teeth with it. Grandy doesn't fight the toothbrush anymore, but she does fight me to eat the toothbrush now. :lol I started with just toothbrushing, then added it to their food a small amount at a time. None of mine have had any gastro discomfort from the coconut oil.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I found this on a website when I started researching it. Like is says you want to build up the amount gradually or you could give them the big D! :)

How and How Much to Supplement?

Dogs usually like the taste of coconut oil, so it can be added to their food at any meal. Some dog parents just let their dogs lick the oil off from a spoon.

How much coconut oil to give to a dog depends on the size and health condition of the dog, As a general guideline, give about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight per day.

However, remember not to start with the suggested amount. You need to add coconut oil to your dog's diet a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Too much coconut oil at a time may also cause diarrhea and greasy stools in dogs.

As a start, try giving 1/4 teaspoon/day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs, and gradually increase the amount every few days. Reduce the amount if your dog has diarrhea. - See more at: http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/coconut-oil-benefits.html#sthash.ylB9vwWf.dpuf

WoW! Sammi's supposed to be up to almost 3 tablespoons (80 pounds/8 tsp)? Yikes, I am a bit off. She is only getting 1T a day. Well, she'll be thrilled that she gets an extra treat then ;)

I started last summer and due to the heat, it was 1 liquid teaspoon per day, I never increased. When the colder weather came, it ended up being a tiny solid scoop as i ran the spoon through the hard coconut oil, am estimating that bumped her up to 2 teaspoons per day. I know a couple of weeks ago when i made slightly large scoops she got the big D so plan to stay at the lower dosage. She does like to use it as a teeth cleaner!

Sweep (60 lbs) gets a heaping tablespoon with dinner. I didn't know I was supposed to work up to that, so I guess I am lucky she never got big D from it! I generally just dump the spoon's contents on her kibble, and then wipe the excess from the spoon with my finger, rub it between my palms, and smooth it over her fur. It's not enough to make her greasy—just makes her smell good and conditions her skin/coat a bit. People often comment on how soft she is.

Gonna have to try it as toothpaste next…

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Hmm, I will have to try this. Is it expensive at the store?

I get it at Trader Joe's for $5.99 and the jar lasts at least a month. Costco is another good, cheap option.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart