Sara Has An Abcess

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

:( I noticed the other day that she had a bump on the right side of her face that didn't match the left and wasn't there before. Of course, my first worry with Sara is cancer. I tried looking in her mouth but she wouldn't let me or DH open her mouth. I did a little research on here and discovered it may be an abcess.

Sure enough, we took her to the vet over the weekend and it's her tooth. Of course, she opened nice and wide for her doctor! The doctor wanted to pull the tooth but she saw the look of panic on my face. Putting a 12 1/2 year old tripod under is not something I really want to do. So, the doctor suggested, since Sara is such a good girl, that she would take her in the back and try to scale her tooth to get a better look. She was able to scale a good part of whatever yuck was on her teeth and some puss came out of the abcess and already, the bump had gone down. So, the plan is, 10 days of antibiotics. Hopefully that will take care of it and it won't come back. If it does, she'll have to pull the tooth.

Guest snakes

Thinking good thoughts for Sara! I hope she feels better.

Unfortunately an abscess is what led to a 3 month saga ending my first pups (11yo at the time) life with me. We don't know if it was the anesthesia or a bad reaction to pain meds, but she was led on a long road of thrombocytopenia after surgery and had finally got a to a "safe" point and took a turn for the worse one day. If i were to do it again i would probably do what you are doing right now, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

:goodluck Sending good thoughts for your sweet girl.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytkidsmom

Sending good thoughts to you and to Sara. I

It is scary but having the tooth out will avoid spread of the infection to surrounding tissues and into the bloodstream where it could affect her heart valves or kidneys.

You and your vet know her best but with preop bloodwork and careful attention to sedation doses I would think she would tolerate the procedure.