Rally Obedience And Martingales?

Probably UKC at first to double up with conformation then CARO. Once she's trialling in agility I probably won't do as much rally.

GreyhoundPoet - where do you get your collars?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Hi all

yes, our European buckle collar is a fishtail. The main body is tapered and on one end is a buckle and the other is the tongue. It's not a stock item but we can do them custom. We have started making them with the same tapered body as our martingales and riveting the buckle and tongue on each side. We have done this at events with an existing martingale by riveting the buckle and tongue onto the figure 8 hardware that the loop normally goes through. On a custom order there is no hardware on the ends, just the buckle and tongue.

This listing is actually for a very large (like pit bull sized) dog but it shows what I mean.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Well I ordered one this afternoon so I look forward to hearing back from you soon! :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Mine have all come from Europe. I have some from Scooby Medina and Celtic Hound Collars, as well as some that a friend bought in England and gave me. :) I tend to search for them online with the keywords "lurcher collars" to get more variety.

When showing obed and Rally I used a flat buckle collar without any problem. I would put it on just before entering the ring and replace it right when I left the ring. I did all my training and practice with a martingale the same width and tightened the same as the buckle collar. Then when working I made sure there was a pronounced U in the leash between me and the dog with no tension at all times. I don't think my girl even knew there was a difference in the collars.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy Rally as much as we did!

i love the fishtale collars that i have. the spanish version is super sturdy, slightly smaller in thickness and hasn't stretched as the english collars have. i also started using a 1" buckle on felix during obedience training, that was before i managed to get a hold of a fishtale. no problems there. i'm a bad bad greyhound owner and felix usually walks around w/ a 1" buckle w/o any problems.

I just happened to be chatting with a friend this evening, and mentioned this topic to her....

She has several Borzoi and a Greyhound that she shows in both CKC Obedience and Rally, and says that Martingale collars (with no chain) ARE legal for CKC Rally.

She has multiple titles on several of her dogs...including the Greyhound...and she always uses a martingale collar.

Have you considered the CKC shows?

Or is there a specific reason to do the UKC?

She was also surprised that CARO does not allow them, and is going to check with her trainer, who is a judge for both CKC and CARO.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Have you considered the CKC shows?

Or is there a specific reason to do the UKC?

She was also surprised that CARO does not allow them, and is going to check with her trainer, who is a judge for both CKC and CARO.

I can double up Rally and Conformation at a UKC show. Showing CKC conformation I'd have to get all her points through group wins since at this time there are basically no other greyhounds showing CKC. And I'm not so interested in either Conformation or Rally at this time to travel to multiple shows. I'd like to double them up whenever possible.

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks guys. :) I ordered one from LongDog. It'll be her show collar. I'm not going to let her wear it except for showing and special occasions. It's should be really cute. Purple leather with her name in rhinestone crusted beads. :) But good to know of some other options. I may want to get one for Summit as well down the road if I decide to do Rally with him (jury's out on that).

Edited by krissy

Like us on Facebook!