Boot Recommendations For Post Surgery Paw

Guest AceyGrey

Guest AceyGrey

Can anyone recommend a good brand of protective boot?

Ace recently had surgery on his paw (see previous post)

I've been looking for paw protectors ready for when he has his dressing changed and when the dressing eventually comes off but there are so many with complex sizing guides and mixed reviews, so some advice from fellow greyhound owners would be very helpful.

Thanks very much

I can't give recommendations on good products, but I will note that you may need two boots.

I put one boot on my corn-dog and she hopped on three feet, with the offending foot held straight out in front of her. It never touched the ground.

When the corn gets to be troublesome again, I'll try one boot on each front foot.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Most of the dogs I see in boots are either because of the cold and they are wearing Dog Booties or Voyagers K9 Boots. Or they have corns and are wearing Thera-Paw Boots. I see Thera-Paw also has indoor slippers -- they look very spacious. Perhaps all you'll really need is a ladies' trouser sock pulled over his foot and then vet-wrapped at knee/hock with the excess sock flipped over the vet wrap so it can't be picked at?

ETA: That Medipaw boot looks really good!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

If you don't need a structured boot but just a simple layer of protection, I highly recommend Pawz disposable booties. Much more comfortable for the dog, too. I have used the large size over a wrapped foot and the medium size is the normal greyhound size. That is all we ever used as Beth was healing from her toe amputation. www.pawzdogboots.com

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest AceyGrey

Thank you all so much

If you don't need a structured boot but just a simple layer of protection, I highly recommend Pawz disposable booties. Much more comfortable for the dog, too. I have used the large size over a wrapped foot and the medium size is the normal greyhound size. That is all we ever used as Beth was healing from her toe amputation. www.pawzdogboots.com

I've ordered some of these to cover his bandage and they should be here tomorrow (none of the actual pet stores have them!)

Medipaw!!!

Most of the dogs I see in boots are either because of the cold and they are wearing Dog Booties or Voyagers K9 Boots. Or they have corns and are wearing Thera-Paw Boots. I see Thera-Paw also has indoor slippers -- they look very spacious. Perhaps all you'll really need is a ladies' trouser sock pulled over his foot and then vet-wrapped at knee/hock with the excess sock flipped over the vet wrap so it can't be picked at?

ETA: That Medipaw boot looks really good!

I've messaged both Thera Paw and Medipaw to see if they offer international shipping, I have to say Medipaw looks amazing!

Guest Fasave

Medipaw!!!

I totally second this one. I've always kept on in the house as I have fostered broken legged hounds. Aside from that, it seems that someone is always doing something to a foot or paw. A couple weeks ago my Tucker snagged a nail on the ice and was bleeding everywhere. I was able to control the bleeding but going outside in the snow was problematic as the bandage would get wet. I was tearing the house apart looking for the medipaw and realized I had lent it to a friend for a broken legged pup she was taking care of. She drove it over to me in a snow storm:-) A much better solution than an IV bag that many vets send you home with.

If you are trying to cover & protect an already bandaged/padded paw then my vote goes to Medipaw. If you are trying to keep a damaged but unbandaged paw clean & dry then perhaps something like Pawflex may be more comfortable for him.

My boy currently has a splinted & heavily bandged front foot & ankle. The Medipaw medium size is working quite well for us.

Guest AceyGrey

I totally second this one. I've always kept on in the house as I have fostered broken legged hounds. Aside from that, it seems that someone is always doing something to a foot or paw. A couple weeks ago my Tucker snagged a nail on the ice and was bleeding everywhere. I was able to control the bleeding but going outside in the snow was problematic as the bandage would get wet. I was tearing the house apart looking for the medipaw and realized I had lent it to a friend for a broken legged pup she was taking care of. She drove it over to me in a snow storm:-) A much better solution than an IV bag that many vets send you home with.

I just found a UK seller!!

Would you say a medium MediPaw fits most dogs, I think that's the one that would fit Ace but he's a little sensitive at the minute for me to measure.

Guest AceyGrey

yes, Medium for greyhounds. I bought Large and it was tooo large... went back to Medium... and my boy was mid 80's - 90 lbs

Brilliant, thank you so much for your help.

This is what the medium size looks like on my little guy, just 63 lbs.

photo%201.JPG

It comes up to just below his elbow. I've also used this on the hind leg of my girl. Oh, wait... OK, here it is on an unbandaged back foot. Note, the lower velcro strap around his ankle is much too long but if there was any bandaging that wouldn't be an issue.

photo.JPG

Guest AceyGrey

This is what the medium size looks like on my little guy, just 63 lbs.

photo%201.JPG

It comes up to just below his elbow. I've also used this on the hind leg of my girl. Oh, wait... OK, here it is on an unbandaged back foot. Note, the lower velcro strap around his ankle is much too long but if there was any bandaging that wouldn't be an issue.

photo.JPG

My boy is about the same as yours, he's a small boy and only 66lbs.

That medium one looks perfect, Ace's bandages are about the same size as your greys so I'm confident it will fit. He's getting the dressing changed in two days time but I can't imagine the dressing would be any bigger than his current one.

035_zpsbc7d4b5a.jpg