Xylitol In Dental Water Additive?

My mom just bought some Virbac CET AquaDent water additive for her greys.

I was looking at the ingredients looking for Sorbitol since there'd been mention of it causing diarrhea, and XYLITOL is the third ingredient listed!

I'm hesitant to tell her it's okay to use this til I hear back from some of you guys...I Googled Xylitol and dogs just to make sure I'm not nuts and everything says it's toxic even in small amounts...what's the deal here??

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I've tried some of the dental water additive and both kinds.. I can't remember the names off hand, I'll have to check when I get home. They both made my one boy start to vomit and have diarrhea. As soon as I stopped putting it in the water he got better. It never affected my two girls though. I will have to check when I get home to see if they have that ingredient in them. I never thought to look at that.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Me too!

I just don't understand why a company would put it in something for dogs, and why a vet's office would sell it??

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

The amount of these ingredients (xylitol, sorbitol) used in dog water additives is safe when the product is used as directed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I never thought to check a water additive for ingredients! I must go do that!

BTW, DH just brought home some peeps, intended for Summer. I noticed he bought the sugar-free version. I've never bought these before and am only buying them because they seem quite popular on GT. Are they always sugar-free? I did check the ingredients and they are sweetened with malitol, sorbital and sucralose. According to what I just read, malitol and sorbital are other names for xylitol. But they can't be, as why would they both be listed? I'm confused. And afraid to give these to her.

I brought all that up because I do hope someone can tell me and maybe we need to watch for more than the actual occurrence of the word "xylitol"?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest CFPWonder

Kristin....

We got a list of "Foods Your Pets Should Avoid" - fridge magnet from our vet (KC).

One of the things on the list was "Products containing Xylitol".

It was put out by ASPCA.... just thought I would let you know. It said it can cause seizures and liver failure.... ???

BTW, DH just brought home some peeps, intended for Summer. I noticed he bought the sugar-free version. I've never bought these before and am only buying them because they seem quite popular on GT. Are they always sugar-free? I did check the ingredients and they are sweetened with malitol, sorbital and sucralose. According to what I just read, malitol and sorbital are other names for xylitol. But they can't be, as why would they both be listed? I'm confused. And afraid to give these to her.

I'd take them back and get the regular version.

The amount in toothpaste or a water additive isn't likely to cause a problem, but the amounts in sweetened people foods are much higher.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you, Jey.

I'll tell her to watch for diarrhea and discontinue if needed.

I've had conversations with Virbac about this exact issue in years past. Their dental water additive is their only product I absolutely will NOT use, or recommend to others because of the xylitol ingredient! (They say it's not enough of the ingredient to be problematic for the animals, but my opinion... why risk it ?!)

ETA: I'd be interested to learn if anyone uses Biotene/Oratene products with success. I've used Biotene Antiseptic Oral Gel, but that's only for short-term use.

Edited by 3greytjoys

I brought all that up because I do hope someone can tell me and maybe we need to watch for more than the actual occurrence of the word "xylitol"?

Side note: It's smart to question ingredients in any sweets, not only for toxins (like xylitol, etc.) but even simple sugars. Personally, we don't feed dogs any sugary treats.

My understanding...

Sugar is a carcinogen that causes Cancer.

Cancer cells FEED and multiply wildly on any type sugar (including white, brown, etc.).

Food coloring ingredients are known to be carcinogens that cause Cancer.

Sugar supresses the immune system's job to kill off damaging cells for many hours after it's ingested.

In lieu of sugary treats, there are other treats that are much less harmful to dogs: Plain yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese, plain pumpkin, peanut butter, etc. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

This is the only time of the year that she'll get this, assuming she even likes them. Her treats are always healthy -- raw chicken and duck feet, dehydrated chicken and duck feet, dehydrated lung/liver/trachea/tendon. This is just for fun.

DH popped into another store and got a little package of regular Peeps. I'd still like to know if malitol and sorbitol are other names for xylitol.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

No, they're not the same. Different sugars.

I don't think they're the same, but they are other forms of artificial sweeteners.

Artificial sweeteners are added to (almost) all dental products (human as well) because fluoride is supposedly really nasty tasting on its own so something needs to be added to make it palatable. Regular sugar is bad for your teeth, so they won't use it.

Our vet suggested a water additive with enzymes to add to our dental routine, as he has seen good results. He didn't recommend a brand. We have been using Tropiclean for a month with no ill effects - sorbate is the next to last ingredient, and I think that is the sweetener, sorbitol - not sure. The amount of product is so dilute when mixed with their water, I suspect it isn't a huge factor.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I'm using Tropiclean, too, as a water additive. Unlike some of the other water additives I've seen, it seems to have zero taste or color. One that I tried in the past, purchased from the vet, turned her water an icky green color. I'm also using the spray foam, sprayed directly into her mouth (I tasted the foam and don't care for it but Summer doesn't seem to be overly bothered by it). No ill effects with either.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

Guest Bang_o_rama

I wouldn't use a product containing xylitol for dogs, even if it's only trace amounts. We've started using Pet Kiss Plaque & Tartar Control, which contains zinc as an active ingredient. It seems to help Bang's troubled teeth--her gums are less inflamed and don't bleed now. (We still brush every night).

Guest Bang_o_rama

. I'd still like to know if malitol and sorbitol are other names for xylitol.

No, those are three different sugars. Xylitol and sorbitol are actually natural sugars, found in fruits. Not sure about malitol. They have different chemical structure than 'regular' sugar, so are processed different by the body, so can be used as sweeteners for diabetics. Sorbitol, in high quantities, can have a laxative effect, but in general, they're all safe for people to use, but xylitol in particular is not safe for dogs.