Air Biting? Normal?

Guest Isabella

Guest Isabella

Today is Izzy's 2 week anniversary in her forever home! I am seeing improvements daily, today was the first day I really seen any interest in play, her foster mom told me she had never been exposed to toys but today she started picking up a few , shake them briefly, then put them in her dog bed, she did this with several toys. Then she started bowing and biting at the air.....I have never seen a dog bite at the air this way, is it normal behavior for a hound (she is a Staghound) ? Is it something I should allow her to do?

488106_2998758625183_212061217_n.jpg

It's fine. Sign of happy excitement :) .

Your girl is adorable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Both of mine do this - they are greys. It usually means I'm feeling good, let's play or go for a walk. It then escalates to barking and foot stamping. All adorable except first thing in the morning. They also do air snaps at me when they come past running off leash. It's a sign of happiness for me.

Totally normal. It's play. :ghplaybow

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Isabella

Yay! This is a good sign then :) I feel like a proud parent, lol. I must say though my 2 year old mini Schnauzer is NOT happy that she is hiding the toys behind her bed!. Izzy puts one back there, Cosby waits for her to move and goes and gets it back out. He sits and watches her , waiting for her to get up so he can "rescue" his toys !

155981_2970058507698_2063638882_n.jpg

Hahaha! That picture is priceless! They are both very cute dogs! :wub:

Yes, as everyone else has said, this is a great sign that she is settling in well and is perfectly normal hound behaviour. It means they're feeling relaxed, or playful, or excited, or super happy.

In fact, when they get around to air-snapping towards me as a way of soliciting more affection, I'm about ready to air-snap myself, because it's a sign of trust in you, too! Jeffie began to do this only after a year of being with us; he was very uncertain at first, especially about having his mouth or feet touched. Now, if I'm on the floor with Sid, giving him a fuss, Jeffie will plant himself next to us and poke me with his nose. If I respond, he'll air-snap when I stop. I am just so happy he's got to the point where he'll come and do that.

By the way, in case you're wondering, while air-snapping is in NO way a sign of aggression, in young dogs it can lead to excited nipping. If this happens, just yelp loudly like a pup and she'll learn not to make contact - most dogs never do nip though. I've personally never been nipped from an air-snap. They know where their teeth are!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

This was one of Pal's :angelwings signature trademarks and he always did it with a smile. Your girl is happy, and adorable :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I would say a very happy girl! She is so cute with her long hair. It's great to see staghounds.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Adrianne

Yay! This is a good sign then :) I feel like a proud parent, lol. I must say though my 2 year old mini Schnauzer is NOT happy that she is hiding the toys behind her bed!. Izzy puts one back there, Cosby waits for her to move and goes and gets it back out. He sits and watches her , waiting for her to get up so he can "rescue" his toys !

155981_2970058507698_2063638882_n.jpg

Awwww....I love this photo. We have a little one here too, who cannot stand for the big one to have the toys. If she can't steal it from him, she waits and waits and waits for the first sign of him getting distracted. Then she swoops in and steals the toy back.

Guest Isabella

It's hilarious to watch. Cosby rescues the toy. When he's not looking Izzy goes in for the steal and puts it behind the bed. Then we repeat, lol. BTW Adrianne I read up on what your poor Chevy has been through, I can't imagine the horror that you went through. I am so happy to hear he is doing well and the dog blanket he received is just beautiful ! It's so nice to have people who care and understand our love for our animals.