My Cat Still Won't Come Out!

Guest tasha

Guest tasha

Okay, so granted, he is a really skittish, scaredy-cat, but it's been 2 weeks and he hasn't come out!

I'll give a bit of background here: 3 weeks ago we brought home Jack, our new (and first!) retired racer. He'd been fostered in a cat household and was very quickly put in his place by that particular cat, so paid her no mind after that. Our cat (who grew up with our previously deceased GSD) was very wary of Jack for that1st week, but was still willng to venture down to the livingroom to socialize. Unfortunately, at the end of that 1st week, I turned my back for 3 seconds to get the laundry out of th dryer, and the sound of my slamming the dryer door made the cat jump/run, which in turn triggered Jack to give chase :( The cat is fine (physically), but has sought refuge under my son't bed and won't come out.

We have to feed him under there, I've moved the litterbox into the room in an attempt to let him settle down, but he isn't coming around on his own. I have a Feliway diffuser plugged in under the bed, but I can't really tell if it's helping or not.

All of the things I've read about grey/cat introduction seem to go on the assumption that the cat involved is NOT terrified! CAn someone out there please help me?! I'm at my wits' end; I feel like I've ruined my poor cat's life

I would give it some more time. Unless there's a reason the cat can't be under the bed, just let her stay there for a while and let her work things out. If she's eating and pottying OK, that is. You might try some catnip. If she's sensitive to it, it might be enough to get her out of the room and feeling gooooooooood!

If it goes on for too long you may have to resort to blocking access to that room and finding her another safe place to be. It sounds like the dog is fine with the cat, so you could also put the cat in a crate and set it away from the dog but in the same room. Like "alone training" in reverse - get her used to the dog in small increments, gradually getting longer.

But I would really just be patient right now.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest widowcali

When I brought home my first greyhound (Cali), she totally ignored Rosie the cat. However, Rosie was so miffed (and probably insulted) that she stayed under my bed for weeks. I truly didn't see her. I just closed off half of the apartment when I was gone (it was one of those shotgun style places where the bedroom had a walk-in closet that opened up to the bathroom. So, if I closed off the main bedroom door and the main bathroom door, and just left the closet doors open at both ends, Rosie had half of the apartment to herself. I opened it up when I was home and, eventually, she got used to Cali. I don't know if Cali had scared her, in the beginning, when I wasn't around, but they eventually got used to each other. Of course, it was months before Rosie forgave me enough to come out when I was home and allow me to give her an ear scritch.

Maybe just giving the cat her own, dog-free, space for a while might help?

I agree with the suggestions to give the cat a dog-free area and give him more time. Spend some time in that area with him, without the dog around, and see if he'll come out and see you. Try using treats or toys to encourage him to interact with you. But let him decide to come back out into the areas where the dog is in his own time.

I have 2 cats who tend to be skittish around new dogs in the house, and when I get a new foster, they sometimes don't come out into the living room for a few weeks. But they have access to other parts of the house and hang out in there until they are more comfortable. Also keep in mind that when you cat finally does start venturing out again, you may need to keep a really close eye on your greyhound. Now that he's chased the cat once, he may be more likely to try again, especially when the cat runs. It's very important that you don't let this happen.

Many greyhounds that are 'cat safe' with confident cats that stand their ground still need additional training with skittish cats that run. This has been the case with several fosters who were completely fine with cats when they were tested and even lived in homes with confident cats. But when they come to my house with my skittish kitties, they show more interest and act more like 'cat trainable' dogs who need more work.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest karilynn

Cats are stubborn creatures and sometimes they need A LOT of time. My cat is older than the hills (16) and when I brought my greyhound home last year, she wasn't necessarily afraid of him, but more mad. Really, really mad. And I knew there was a big risk of that bringing my greyhound into my home, but I went ahead and did it anyway because the world doesn't revolve around Miss Prissy Pants Diva cat. It took MONTHS before she could even stand being within feet of my hound. Is it better now? Much. Does she still have her moments where my hound is innocently walking by, minding his own business, and she slaps him in the face? Yes. But hey, it's night and day difference. Your guy probably needs a lot of time. I understand your guilt, I had it too. But trust me, things get better in time!

It often helps resident cats to reduce the newcomer Greyhound's space initially. During the day, our newcomer hounds/fosters enjoy 2-3 of the most frequented human rooms with a baby-gate blocking off the rest of the house (baby-gate installed 5-6" above floor level, as cat escape route). The cats can safely venture around most of the house until they begin to feel comfortable around a new dog (in cat's own time). Once your kitty realizes she can leave your son's room without the dog being able to reach/chase her, kitty would be more likely to slowly expand her territory again.

The slightly elevated baby-gate also serves as a barrier to prevent a dog from getting too far in a chase. Most of our dog/cat scenarios have worked out in a relatively short time (weeks). The longest one lasted several months. Our current cats still enjoy having one semi-blocked room as their favorite sleeping quarters (without dog access). If you don't have already have a 5'- 6' tall, indoor cat tree, might be something to consider for kitty to observe dog's behavior from above. (Our cats prefer being in high places when hounds are active.)

Our 20 year old cat also had no say when we adopted our ex-racer, but when we did a test visit prior to adoption, Peewee had no reaction so we interpreted this as her blessing to go ahead. Everything was fine until Peewee jumped off the couch right next to a sleeping Bonnie's head. Bonnie has sleep startle, and she reacted by barking at her. Peewee forgave this, but when it happened AGAIN, Peewee also started slinking around corners and only going to areas where the dog wasn't.

You haven't ruined your kitty's life; she just needs some time and patience. After Peewee's scare, I was also going to move her feeding bowls, but avoiding Bonnie would also do nothing to make her feel safe. If Peewee wanted to eat, she had to take the chance that Bonnie might come into the kitchen. Initially, Peewee would leave whenever Bonnie came in, but slowly, she came around, and now they can eat at the same time without Peewee leaving. It took a good 6 weeks for Peewee to feel more at ease and she has since come into the room where the incident happened. Of course, Bonnie & Peewee are always supervised. I also muzzle Bonnie when I can't directly supervise, when we need to go out and when we go to bed.

Some good advice has been given by other posters as well. But I would move her dishes and litter box back to their original spots. Getting her needs met is pretty good incentive to make kitty venture out. In the beginning, she may do so only at night, but this will build her confidence and help her realize she is not in imminent danger. Baby gates will also make her feel safe. Good luck; I hope she's back to her old self soon. And no, you didn't ruin her life; she just doesn't know she's got a new friend yet!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I don't currently have any cats and have not had cats while I have had my greys, but after 16 years of being owned by a cat I can tell you given enough time she will come around. Lots of good advice above. Hang in there and be patient and vigilant.

Quick response as I don't have much time, but I would have to disagree with moving the food bowls and litterbox back to their original positions. Depending on the cat's personality, and how close the original location is to areas where the greyhound hangs out, moving them back may simply mean that the cat won't eat at all, and may stop using the box and just urinate and defecate elsewhere in the house. A cat who doesn't eat (especially if the cat is overweight) can get very sick, and accidents outside the litterbox is a whole separate problem you want to avoid if at all possible.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I agree with giving your kitty more time, especially since you said she is skittish anyway. I have one cat that still runs (or scuttles) sometimes from room to room, but will come out and be in the same room with the dogs when she feels like it. She doesn't socialize with them, but is comfortable being in the same room. It took some extra "no kitties" to get the dogs not to jump up and start to chase when she runs by, and I have told her over and over, "Fat Ethel, if you didn't run, they wouldn't want to chase you". She will eventually get more comfortable and come out, but you will have to be really on top of things at first to make sure your dog doesn't try to chase her again.

and I agree with JJNg, don't take away her food and box, for now she needs them in her safe zone.

Quick response as I don't have much time, but I would have to disagree with moving the food bowls and litterbox back to their original positions. Depending on the cat's personality, and how close the original location is to areas where the greyhound hangs out, moving them back may simply mean that the cat won't eat at all, and may stop using the box and just urinate and defecate elsewhere in the house. A cat who doesn't eat (especially if the cat is overweight) can get very sick, and accidents outside the litterbox is a whole separate problem you want to avoid if at all possible.

Absolutely! All advice should be taken with a grain of salt, no matter who gives it. To be clear, our cat did not segregate herself to one area, nor did her eating or litterbox habits change when she had her incident with the dog. The key statement here is "depending on your cat's personality". Lucky for us, our cat is a foodie, and we used it to our advantage. We should all err on the side of caution when animals are involved.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest tasha

Thank you everyone for your advice - it's helped put my mind at ease :)

My son's room has always been his safe zone, esp underneath his bed. When we first moved here (only 6 months ago now), it took him almost 6 weeks before he started to come downstairs; even before Jack arrived, he spent all but 4 or so hours upstairs. He's a real fraidey-cat, and we've kept my son's room baby-gated right from the beginning, thinking that if Simon wanted to come out from under the bed, he'd know that there was no way that he could be hurt by the dog. At least he's eating, and drinking - those first few days he wasn't.

I guess we'll just give him more time, and keep our fingers crossed. Please feel free to keep the ideas (and words of encouragement - I'm constantly doubting myself, lol!)

Guest grey_dreams

Also agree that you need to provide a safe and secluded area of your house for your cat that the dog cannot enter. Move the food and litter box to this safe and secluded area. Your cat needs to re-establish a feeling of peace and security in the house, and that will take time. Eventually, the cat will begin to enter other areas of the house again, but let the cat decide when it is time. It would be quite counterproductive to force this, or to confine her in a crate and place the crate where the dog can come and hover over the crate and smell her. That technique might be ok for a confident cat who is not afraid, but for a fearful anxious cat, that would only increase their fear of the dog and anxiety. When the cat finally decides to enter the dog area, you are going to have to do training with the dog so that it learns that it is not allowed to chase the cat. This means leashing the dog and tethering the leash to you (or someone else in the house) at all times, and working with the dog to understand that the cat must be respected as a family member and not chased, crowded, or played with. It is going to take time. Good luck.

Also agree that you need to provide a safe and secluded area of your house for your cat that the dog cannot enter. Move the food and litter box to this safe and secluded area. Your cat needs to re-establish a feeling of peace and security in the house, and that will take time. Eventually, the cat will begin to enter other areas of the house again, but let the cat decide when it is time. It would be quite counterproductive to force this, or to confine her in a crate and place the crate where the dog can come and hover over the crate and smell her. That technique might be ok for a confident cat who is not afraid, but for a fearful anxious cat, that would only increase their fear of the dog and anxiety. When the cat finally decides to enter the dog area, you are going to have to do training with the dog so that it learns that it is not allowed to chase the cat. This means leashing the dog and tethering the leash to you (or someone else in the house) at all times, and working with the dog to understand that the cat must be respected as a family member and not chased, crowded, or played with. It is going to take time. Good luck.

Yes, of course. All our cats have been raised from kittens with large dogs and they have NO fear of them, so the crate thing worked fine for us. In fact, we've never had a cat that's shy or anxious, so my advice may be skewed a bit.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 7 years later...

Hi all! I'm at my wits end with this exact situation. I've owned my male cat for 14+ years. 4 years ago, we brought home our first dog since owning the cat, a rescue beagle puppy. The cat was not very interested or annoyed and they became "friends" pretty quick. The cat does NOT play and he will slap either dog if he feels the need, lol. Thats the reason I call them "friends"... the cat tolerates the beagle, thats about it. They don't play etc. But they sleep next to each other on the bed, under the bed. They get along. 2 years ago, we brought home our rescue German Shepard "puppy" he was about 35lbs and a crazy ball of fire at the time. The cat instantly retreated to the master bedroom(his usual safe zone) the second the GSD came crashing into the house and has not left the room for more than a few minutes or gone a few feet from the door since. We thought, give it some time, they will get along. Well, nope, not yet! Our cat tolerates the GSD as well as the beagle... he just hasnt left the back of the house in years with the big dog. Our cat has spent about a total of 3 hours outside the master bedroom in the last 2+ years! He refuses to leave the master bed/bathroom! We've relocated all his necessities to the master bed/bathroom, but we want our cat back on the couch in the living room, around the house, in the windows... being the king of the house that he is! The German Shepard has been put in his place by the cat several times. The GSD is a big, playful baby and has never hurt the cat or anything like that... chasing, is another story though.  When he gets within 3 feet of the cat, the GSD instantly starts blinking his eyes, as if waiting and flinching for a clawed slap to come his way. I call my cat " The Big Cat" for a reason, he is big and very tough,lol!. The GSD wants to be very playful with the cat though, he will just jump around him out of reach and mess with him in general. The dog just thinks he is playing, but the cat is a grumpy old man in no mood to play. Just as the cat and beagle can lay together, even touching eachother, the German Shepard and cat can do the same. But only sleeping in the master bed. I've seen them laying near eachother on the floor in the bedroom a time or 2, but usually its ONLY in the bed they get near eachother. And its still not getting the cat out of the bedroom. Its very heartbreaking honestly, you can see the cat just wants to come out and sit by the fireplace like he used to, lay in my daughter's bedroom or on the back of the couch like he did... This has literally been 2+ years folks. No joke or exaggeration here. Not just a few months or even a year... 2 years and more than that actually. Closer to 2 and a half years! Unbelievable. Any advice or suggestions, besides what is already posted here of course, which is very much appreciated by the way. I will be trying a few of the ideas mentioned that we haven't already tried... We just want our big happy pet family back! Thanks for the info in this post and I'm sorry to say I don't have a greyhound currently, though my wife and I first dog was a retired, rescued racer and I'm still very much in love with the breed! I feel confident coming here and asking this question. I appreciate any help, this is a real problem and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. We've tried just about everything listed and other things we've thought up to no avail. Desperation at this point. We don't want our old "baby" cat to spend the rest of his life in 2 rooms of our large house. Its sad and we can tell he is not completely happy. Thanks again for any info, or even just reading my novel here, lol. I look forward to any advice.

Jim Brown

You may find that your cat needs a way to move about the house from off the ground.  You can make an above ground cat highway by putting up shelves or rearranging furniture.  You can also try creating spaces for the cat to escape behind the furniture by pulling it out from the walls so the dogs can not get behind.   Make sure the dogs are out of the room in a secure area.  Then bring the cat out and spend some time in the area so the cat gets comfortable.  Take the cat back to it’s safe space bring the dogs back and see if the cat will come out on its own.  
I know my cat will stick to the upper cat highway or the edges behind the furniture for a while when new dogs are added.  Then will come out in a few days.  If play gets to exciting the cat has a safe zone or a good place for an ambush if the cat wants to initiate play.