Fave Hands-Free Leash

Guest Woodsy

Guest Woodsy

Just read the "Walkabout" thread & thought I should post this. When I finally knew I was getting a greyhound, I started searching for a hands-free leash that could not be jerked from my hand. Of course I wound up with a hound with no discernible prey drive, but this cross-body (NOT belt-style) leash is still great-

http://www.activedogs.com/product.php?id=91

In using a European style leather leash with a Great Dane foster I got today. If I'm not careful, hes going to take me down. Granted hes much much larger than a greyhound, but I don't really have an option since my shoulders are bad and this 130# monster goes where he wants to go.

way too many years of training for me. i need to hold a leash if the dog is being walked on a leash. even though i can fling the lead over my shoulder- i still hold it- even when my dog is free! then it's in my hand bundled up! from what i have observed the european style leather leads, if you can figure out the clips and rings works the best. the waist belts aren't as comfortable- according to my friends.

the clasp on the lead looks pretty big, i think i had one of those at the last gugg sale i managed. the gripper leash is a good quality but if your dog doesn't pull you really don't need a gripper leash. i know that k9noz.com makes them to order. they are out of biothane and bud, the leash maker has some nice clasps, knows his materials and can make a custom lead. i always look for a smaller clasp that won't knock the dog in the face but big enough not to get stuck in the martingale's ring.

Edited by cleptogrey

I use this one to walk all three of my Greys.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_page_featured.cfm?queries_index=index8&title_bar=HIGH%20SIERRA%20WALK%2DA%2DBELT%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20Heavy%20Duty%20with%20Carabineer&NewProduct=0&Product_CatalogID=157&ProductCode=2&RecordNo=1&sc=yes

I use it across my body, not around my waist.

I love it...super comfy / well padded and has extra rings to hang things from.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

When handling one dog I like over the shoulder leashes like OP has shown. The experience has been quite the opposite of what I expected as far as being pulled off balance. My balance is much better with these leashes than the standard hand held. My center of gravity in general remains lower. My arms are able to stay closer to my side. With a hand held leash, once a dog bolts & manages to pull my arm out away from my body my balance is gone. Though like cleptogrey, I usually still have one hand on the leash.

In general, I do not like around the waist leashes. That's just a personal thing though.