Dudley Tore Some Tail Skin :(

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

Earlier today, Dudley was wagging his tail and the tip got caught in a metal slit of a closet door. He tore a nice chunk (I have pics if anyone's interested) so we ran to the vet. They glued him up and used an interesting wrapping system I thought I would share, it seems useful!

They cleaned and lightly wrapped the affected area, then they slid a plastic syringe tube/cap/thingymabob over the affected area, then they did a thicker wrap to hold it all in place. I guess the syringe cap thing prevent the dog from wacking the wound open again and offers good protection.

641B9647-DCBD-4A01-8595-3ABF72833894-237

poor guy!!! but great solution, hope he heals quickly!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Poor guy! This is how we started with Truman's happy tail (with the syringe cap, wrapped barber pole style). It didn't last long- we eventually ended up with the self-stick pipe insulation, coupled with a muzzle and stool guard. He still had to have surgery to remove part of it. I hope Dudley heals up quick, and it doesn't turn into anything more serious. :goodluck

Guest Clawsandpaws
Poor guy! This is how we started with Truman's happy tail (with the syringe cap, wrapped barber pole style). It didn't last long- we eventually ended up with the self-stick pipe insulation, coupled with a muzzle and stool guard. He still had to have surgery to remove part of it. I hope Dudley heals up quick, and it doesn't turn into anything more serious. :goodluck

Eek! I had told my vet that if they have to amputate at all, I want to take the whole thing off so I never have to worry about it again -_-

Poor Dudley :-( Hope the wrap holds - looks like they did a nice job on it.

We go back on wednesday, I think it will hold until then, he hasn't been wagging his tail as much since it's been on :(

Guest Clawsandpaws

Hey guys! Vet went well, she took off the bandage, so now he has only the plastic syringe cap and the bandage holding it in place. However, it is still bleeding! I don't know if it's excessive or not, but it's enough to splatter blood on the wall whenever he wags his tail hard enough. I will call the vet tomorrow, but do you guys think it's normal? Also, I did a really stupid thing last night: Because of the splattering blood, I basically shoved a lil toilet paper in the cap to absorb the blood (vet said that was okay.) The paper kept falling out so I used regular ol tape to completely cover the top of the cap, so no air could get in. I remembered I did that about an hour ago (went to work at 6am and forgot) so I went to remove it. It almost looked like some condensation in the cap, the paper was soaked and had a foul odor, almost like it was going to mold!!!!! Did I do something ridiculously dangerous? He goes to the vet for a recheck on weds, should I make it sooner??

Not dangerous exactly but I would call the vet and mention the foul odor. And the continued bleeding.

I would prefer to keep the tail bandaged -- if you don't hold the edges of the cut together, takes longer to heal. I leave it bandaged until a scab forms and falls off (leaving nice pink scar) PLUS 3 weeks.

If you need to completely cover something, a single layer of vet wrap is nice -- those little holes let some air in/out.

Best luck!

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Clawsandpaws
Not dangerous exactly but I would call the vet and mention the foul odor. And the continued bleeding.

I would prefer to keep the tail bandaged -- if you don't hold the edges of the cut together, takes longer to heal. I leave it bandaged until a scab forms and falls off (leaving nice pink scar) PLUS 3 weeks.

If you need to completely cover something, a single layer of vet wrap is nice -- those little holes let some air in/out.

Best luck!

The edges won't hold even with surgical glue? I think she wanted to take the bandage off to let it air, I don't know honestly, I trust her too much. I left a message on their "after hours" machine so hopefully I hear back soon. I just smelled the tail again and it's not as bad anymore, maybe the soaked paper made it reek.

Can you put vet wrap directly on the wound? Or do you need a buffer, such as gauze like a bandaid?

I like:

- some nonstick gauze, thickly smeared with SSD or neosporin (so it really won't stick). I anchor that with a little piece of white medical tape (just a snip or two; don't circle the tail with it).

- Then a couple turns of vetwrap, not too tight. Sometimes I make a little extra pad of vetwrap to put over the injured area. Don't need this if you're using a syringe cover, toilet paper tube, or some pipe wrap :lol .

- Then some Elastikon (sticky tan tape) overlapping the top of the vetwrap (or syringe cover, tube, pipe wrap) section by @ an inch and going on up the tail a couple inches. That keeps it all from falling off when he wags.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is exactly what happened with Truman. :(

The first few bandage changes, they took everything off and same thing. The wound was wet, and the smell was awful. He had to be on ABX for an infection. The syringe allows it to get air, but the problem is that it doesn't offer much in terms of padding. So there can still be trauma to the tail as they wag it and hit it off things... which then prevents it from healing properly. If you keep having issues, PM me and I can give you more info about the pipe insulation trick. Unfortunately, happy tail and tail injuries in general are one of the most difficult and frustrating problems to deal with.