Ramp Suggestions

Since Magic is 12 and has arthritis, I was going to look into getting a ramp for my car. He lays in the back seat so I would need one that I can use with the doors as opposed to the hatch.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I got mine at 1800petmeds.....they've got a bunch of different kinds.

Then when Desi got that icky clot in his leg, he couldn't even do the bi-fold ramp that went to the back of my suv, so my brother

just cobbled together an extension that made it longer & less steep. If you're handy, it looked pretty easy.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Hi Carol - Your purchase probably depends upon what kind of vehicle you drive (car, wagon, or SUV) and how steep the incline. I own a Honda CR-V and when my hounds were young jumping in/out wasn't a big deal. But as our young dogs grow old - vehicle access becomes an issue.

I purchased a ramp but soon realized the incline was too steep - even though my vehicle is not that large. None of the dogs liked the ramp so I yard-saled it.

I think a ramp is kinda scary for tall, leggy dogs (in fact, one of my senior males fell off the ramp; went over like a bag of rocks!); they probably work better for dogs with a lower center of gravity.

I am currently dealing with this issue as my 13-1/2 yr old female grey cannot jump in/out of my vehicle; however, she hates being picked up and turns into a bucking bronco. I purchased a cool platform step designed for RVs - which I affixed with carpet using two-way carpet tape. She can get in the vehicle using the step but not out.

Anyway, you might try to find large deep steps or something platform in nature.

I am considering the "2-Step Large Dog Stairs" at www.petclassics.com. I suppose you could make something comparable if you're handy. Good luck! Let us know if you find something that works.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv