Hello From Fort Worth

Guest tsmith1

Guest tsmith1

Hello all,

Long time dog owner, first time rescued greyhound owner.

I think the Greyhound rescue org. make the effort to give you a very well behaved grey to hook you into adopting more. I have had mine for 1 week now with no accidents, no issues with walks. He is 3 years old and been retired for about 1 month and one of the many Gable Dodge lines.

The only three issues right now are thinking our bed is his bed, so he is crated in our room at night with minor complaints. Hopefully we can let him sleep in his bed in our room without jumping on ours over time.

Next is jumping when I come inside or when I'm leaving. And I think it's likely he learned that behaviour from me rather then a trait he already had prior to us adopting him.

And last is adjusting to our mixed breed dog (lab/shepard) and her adjusting to him.

As a newbie, even though I read prior to adoption that the prey instinct wold be strong in dealing with small breed dogs, I was really shocked with the speed with which it clicked on in him. Still trying to find that line were small dog is viewed as dog and not prey.

Couldn't ask for a better new additon to the family. Having scanned many of the topics it looks like a wonderful group of knowledgeable greyhound owners, I look forward to picking many a brain here.

http://www.greyhoundsunlimited.org/adopting/details/sonic.shtml

Guest undergreysspell

Welcome and congratulations on your new grey. I look forward to seeing some pictures when you get a chance.Why not post some of your problems in the Training and Behavior thread and let some of the knowledgable members give you some help?Once again...Welcome !

Welcome! You are in good company. I recently moved from Plano to Amarillo and have one grey from Greyhounds Unlimited. A couple members are here on this forum.

Head over to Training and Behavior, you will get lots of great advice.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Welcome to Greytalk! I met Sonic and he is a great galoot of a dog who just loves people. You have come to a good place for advice on how to handle some of his issues. Don't forget that you can also keep in touch with GU's adoption coordinators when you need help, too.

I tend to take on the shy and fearful hounds, rather than the boisterous and high-prey ones, so I don't have any good advice for you on either front. But there are plenty of folks here on GT that can, and will, offer advice.

So glad to hear that you love Sonic, though, and want to work with him through his issues. Good for you!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Welcome!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Congratulations, and welcome to GT! :)

Good to turn your back ignoring a hound while he's jumping up. Once hound is calm (4-paws on floor), reward with petting attention. Okay to bend down to dog's level for petting so he doesn't feel a need to jump. Human's calm comings/goings are good.

Prey drive level is different for each Greyhound. Many Greyhounds have never seen small dogs before retirement, so they are viewed as prey. Some Greyhounds eventually relax around small dogs, others don't, especially in an outside setting.

Enjoy your new Greyhound! :)

Guest lanielovesgreys

Hello from Austin! I lived in DFW for a while, and have nothing but good things to say of the greyhound community up there. Greyhounds Unlimited was especially helpful. Good luck with your new addition!

• 2 weeks later...

What a handsome guy Sonic is!

One of my greys jumped on me when she was new. We worked it out with some warning "uh uh"s that she could still jump, but not on humans. More than 7 years later, she's still a pogo-ing fool when I come home. Just a little less height than she used to reach.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter