Hello From Pittsburgh

wendell

Hello! I just posted my first post for medical advice, so I figured I should also introduce myself. I am Kristine and I live in Pittsburgh. I work in higher education and am working part time on my Ph.D in education. I moved to Pittsburgh from Central PA in July of 2011 to start work and school. Thankfully I moved near my parents and they have been very generous to help with my grey on days when I am in class.

While in Central PA I adopted Wendell (Craigie Windick) from Monica’s Heart. I’ve had him for about two and half years now and he will be 7 in April. I got him as a bounce back and I cannot imagine that anyone could have given him up. He is a big, silly, brindle boy and I would describe him as bombproof. He loves people and kids and is generally easy going. He is the first dog that I have ever owned.

This fall was tough for him health wise. He had his first corns (at least since being with me), tested positive for Lyme’s disease (he has since been cleared of this), and then just this weekend he finally got a diagnosis for Cushings, which put an end to two months of uncertainty and endless testing.

If someone can give me a tip on how to upload a photo I'd be happy to do that.

Welcome! I had a Cushing's dog although she was not a grey, and really old when she was diagnosed. We too went with the less expensive meds. No particular advice, but good luck with him.

With respect to uploading photos, get an account like Photobucket or Flicker, and have a look at the technical forum on Greytalk. It should all be in there!

Guest DragonflyDM
Hello! I just posted my first post for medical advice, so I figured I should also introduce myself. I am Kristine and I live in Pittsburgh. I work in higher education and am working part time on my Ph.D in education. I moved to Pittsburgh from Central PA in July of 2011 to start work and school. Thankfully I moved near my parents and they have been very generous to help with my grey on days when I am in class.

While in Central PA I adopted Wendell (Craigie Windick) from Monica’s Heart. I’ve had him for about two and half years now and he will be 7 in April. I got him as a bounce back and I cannot imagine that anyone could have given him up. He is a big, silly, brindle boy and I would describe him as bombproof. He loves people and kids and is generally easy going. He is the first dog that I have ever owned.

This fall was tough for him health wise. He had his first corns (at least since being with me), tested positive for Lyme’s disease (he has since been cleared of this), and then just this weekend he finally got a diagnosis for Cushings, which put an end to two months of uncertainty and endless testing.

If someone can give me a tip on how to upload a photo I'd be happy to do that.

Hello from Pittsburgh (area) as well!

You can also upload your pics to facebook and link them to here.

If you ever want to set up a play date or need a sitter-- let me know!

Kristine, were we in a class together before? I remember a goofy boy named Wendell (Kiowa dog, if I remember correctly) from one of Henry's classes in Crafton. If so, hi again and welcome! Email me at alicia.daerr at gmail dot com for playdates if you're interested. I take my two boys to Hartwood Acres fairly regularly with two other people from GT.

Hi Kristine...welcome to GT. I frequent Hartwood Acres with Alicia Daerr. We should all meet up soon with the weather warming up.

As far as uploading photos, here is how I do it with pics from my phone (**disclaimer...I suck at technology, so I'm probably not doing it the right way, but it works, so whatever):

-email photo to myself

-download photo

-open Picasa and upload photo to album

-click on the photo (to make it big)

-right click photo and "copy URL"

-in the toolbar above your GT message box, click the "Image" icon and then paste in the URL you just copied from Picasa

Welcome!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest undergreysspell

Welcome and I look forward to seeing your pictures once you get it figured out! (I upload to photobucket or just take the photo with the snapbucket app,then just paste the img code from photobucket)

Hi Alicia,

That's us! Although, much of what Wendell learned in class didn't stick (probably his mom's fault though!), but he is a very good sitter.

I'll try to get an email out to you tonight. I'd love to meet up sometime. Thanks for reaching out.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Guest BooneTia

Hi!!! Just wanted to say welcome! My son was the first in our family to adopt a greyhound...from Monicas Heart!! His name Is Oz (Ale Bowling Night) Since then I have adopted 2 from MH. Boone (KT Bigger Man)who was also a bounce and Josie (CTW Furioso Jo). I live in Somerset County Pa. Maybe I'll see you sometime at a MH get together! Clara

Guest jenniferk

Hello from another Pittsburgher! Hope to meet you & Wendell soon. Our boys share a dad (my boy's racing name was Iruska Promiser) & mine is silly too. Welcome!

Hi Alicia,

That's us! Although, much of what Wendell learned in class didn't stick (probably his mom's fault though!), but he is a very good sitter.

I'll try to get an email out to you tonight. I'd love to meet up sometime. Thanks for reaching out.

Wendell made me laugh so much in class! He was always acting so silly. Remember when he refused to walk on the grate, and kept play bowing at you in protest? What a goofball. I'd love to see him again sometime.

Guest IrskasMom

Kristine and Wendell WELCOME to GT :wave:wave:wave You have already found enough Greyowners to have a Playdate. Love to see more Pictures !

Edited by IrskasMom

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread.

There is a Pittsburgh Greyhound Playdate scheduled for this Saturday 2/23/13, 1PM at Hartwood Acres. We typically meet in the parking lot, and walk to the park together (unless you get there early, in which case feel free to head up to the park sooner). It is supposed to be in the 40's this weekend, so you can probably expect mud. Bring towels and muzzles! If the playdate is cancelled due to weather-related issues, someone will email you before noon on Saturday. Hope to see you there! If you are not on the email list and would like to be, email me at alicia dot daerr at gmail dot com.

I didn't know all these Pittsburghers were around! I'd love to walk through Hartwood at some point. Not in this weather though! Actually, I'm pet sitting down in South Fayette then, but I'll email you, Alicia, and keep it in mind for the future.

Welcome to all the Greys in the Burg! We're in Brighton Heights, on the North Side. There is a huge fenced dog park in Riverside Park by the observatory. My dogs are getting a little senior for running in the park, but Riverview is also nice to walk on leash, if anyone is closer to the city. Let me know!

Oh, yeah, it's Riverview, not Riverside.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I didn't know all these Pittsburghers were around! I'd love to walk through Hartwood at some point. Not in this weather though! Actually, I'm pet sitting down in South Fayette then, but I'll email you, Alicia, and keep it in mind for the future.

Welcome to all the Greys in the Burg! We're in Brighton Heights, on the North Side. There is a huge fenced dog park in Riverside Park by the observatory. My dogs are getting a little senior for running in the park, but Riverview is also nice to walk on leash, if anyone is closer to the city. Let me know!

Sounds good, Nancy! We've tried the off-leash park at Riverview, but it's kind of rocky. Django broke his toe there once! When the weather improves, I'm thinking we'll try and get together to try some new parks and hiking trails. Bring Lydia! She is my absolute favorite. If you know anyone else from GHG interested in a playgroup, feel free to give them my email address.

• 1 month later...
Guest DragonflyDM

Well-- the weather is starting to break... so I will be taking Boomer to Frick and Hartwood on Saturday and Sunday. Anyone up for a greyhound gathering?