Unexplained Vomiting, Should I Be Worried?

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

This morning I woke up to some dog vomit on my floor. I don't know why he would have vomited, and I'm a little worried. He ate his dinner last night around 7, and then got his normal cookie before bed (around 11 or so). This is our standard routine, nothing unusual at all. I found his vomit around 8am.

I gave him his breakfast over two meals because I was afraid he would throw up again, but he was fine. Should I be worried?

Summer threw up a little on my bed the other week, in the wee hours of the morning. And no, I didn't worry about it. If it was constant or suspicious or something, that would be different.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Was it actually food? Or mostly just bile (yellow liquid)? If the latter, you might want to add more food at 11. (I withheld a quarter-cup of kibble from dinner and gave it at bedtime.)

If it was just food, I wouldn't worry too much. He might have snarfed down something that upset his stomach.

With a dog that's vomiting, one important thing is to make sure that the dog's getting plenty of liquids.

Does he take any meds that could upset his stomach? If so, talk to his vet about adding Pepcid (generic famotidine--comes in 10mg and 20mg tablets).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest kkaiser104
Was it actually food? Or mostly just bile (yellow liquid)? If the latter, you might want to add more food at 11. (I withheld a quarter-cup of kibble from dinner and gave it at bedtime.)

If it was just food, I wouldn't worry too much. He might have snarfed down something that upset his stomach.

With a dog that's vomiting, one important thing is to make sure that the dog's getting plenty of liquids.

Does he take any meds that could upset his stomach? If so, talk to his vet about adding Pepcid (generic famotidine--comes in 10mg and 20mg tablets).

This was mostly what I was hoping to hear. It was very bile-y, so I think his stomach was empty. That's what has happened before and that's why I added the cookie before bed. He now eats 2 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening. Do you think I should do 1.5 cups in the morning, 1.5 cups at 6, and 1/2 cup at 11 or so? I don't want him to get sick/not feel well.

Edited by kkaiser104

Keep in mind that morning to dinner is kind of a long stretch for an empty stomach, too. Maybe just a quarter cup less in the morning, and he gets that quarter cup at bedtime.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Many greys will vomit up yellow bile in the mornings from time to time. I wouldn't necessarily change anything unless it continues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 3 months later...
Guest mayapep

My dog Vomits Bile 2-3 times a week either in the morning or evening. He eats 5 cups a day of food! It is really annoying in that we have to rearrange our schedule because of his eating he wakes us up in the morning and we feed him a 1c snack at night and he still vomits! I am at my wits end Please help!

My dog Vomits Bile 2-3 times a week either in the morning or evening. He eats 5 cups a day of food! It is really annoying in that we have to rearrange our schedule because of his eating he wakes us up in the morning and we feed him a 1c snack at night and he still vomits! I am at my wits end Please help!

How long between meals? Or, at least, between meal and vomiting?

ETA: How much does he weigh? Five cups is a lot of kibble; what is he eating?

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

Many greys will vomit up yellow bile in the mornings from time to time. I wouldn't necessarily change anything unless it continues.

That's so true, Bella has done this about 4 times in the past 3 years.

I wouldn't worry about it, keep an eye on him to see if it happens again.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

How long between meals? Or, at least, between meal and vomiting?

ETA: How much does he weigh? Five cups is a lot of kibble; what is he eating?

mayapep is a good friend, i talk to her a couple of times a week about atlas' woes, he's always vomiting bile!

he's 80-81#

3 yrs old

has been on a variety of antibiotics to clear up a uti. think that's done and over with, giving him probiotics regularly

had a sonogram and everything looks fine

i'm changing foods, he doesn't like/eat rice w/ food was nature's domain, changed to their beef variety, it was suggessted that protien souce be changed. buying some canadie today.

he basically can't make it more than maybe 8 hrs. generally her work let her get home to feed him every 5 hrs. but his meals are divided into 3 portions now! he does have a cup full before bed

Maybe the vet can suggest a med that will slow down his digestion, so that food stays in his stomach a little longer. Or something as a supplemental treat that just takes dogs longer to digest.

I'd get a food without rice. Try a different carb source like potato or sweet potato. Or try grain free. TOTW Pacific Stream at my house...it's VERY rare for any of my kids to vomit anything up.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest mayapep

He vomits bile 2-3 times a week. We have been to two vets, no one has an answer. He is on a Grain free food with sweet potato as the carb! He is eating the Nature's Domain all 3 varieties at different times. Right now he is eating a mix of Beef and sweet potato and salmon and sweet potato. He is on probiotics, and fish oil and treats throughout the day. He is 80lbs and eats a total of 5 cups a day. 2 cups at 7-8am ( any later and he vomits) 2 cups at 5:30-6:30pm (any later he vomits) and 1 heavy cup at 10:30-11pm. This has been going on for about 7-8 months now and it needs to stop. Any healthy animal does not vomit after not eating for 8hours. I mean dogs in the wild and wolves (99.9%) genetic mak-up don't eat everyday. This is not my first grey, but is my first grey that is vomiting like this! I am going to try switching to Candidae, one person on this site posted that candidae relieved this for her dog.

I would change the food to a different *brand.* To hedge your bets, make sure the formula is quite different from what you have been feeding. For example, might want more carbs and might want some grains in there.

One of my dogs vomited yellow slime at least 6 out of 7 days a week, and sometimes twice a day, for 6 months on what was then considered a really good, premium food. Ha. Several hundred dollars and many tests later, I changed food for other reasons. It was like turning off a tap. The morning after he was 100% on the new food, he didn't vomit. He didn't vomit in the afternoon. Or the next day. Et cetera. Who knew, eh?

Could be your dog's problem is different, but it could be that simple. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

batmom, that's what i've been saying. you dont have to feed a premium food, feed a food that agrees w/ your dog. same w/ people- feed them what agrees w/ their digestive system, not exactly what's the "best for them". so, what was the magic food for you dog??

Canidae is the one food that CAUSED my dogs to vomit :(

No vomit on TOTW though.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--