Letters To Osu Medical Director In Support Of Ghwp

In case you weren't aware, the OSU Veterinary Medical Center (where Dr. Couto works) has a new(ish) Director. The Greyhound Health and Wellness Program (GHWP) is allowed to exist at the Medical Center, although it does not receive any direct funding from OSU itself. I thought it would be nice if we all let the current director know how much we appreciate the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. You can write a letter to:

Ms. Karin Zuckerman

Director

Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center

601 Vernon L. Tharp Street

Columbus, OH 43210

You might want to include things like:

How far you traveled to visit OSU

Why you came to OSU (especially if you came from a long distance)

Who you interacted with in the program (Dr. Couto, Dr. Kellogg) and whether you were satisfied with the interaction.

What your hound had done and approximately what it cost.

My suggestion would be to make a point that because of Dr. Couto's program, you traveled x number of hours and spent x dollars. You chose to do this because of the GHWP's excellent reputation and knowledge of the unique medical needs of the greyhound. You will continue to make the long trip in the future, rather than receive treatment/spend your money closer to home.

Even if you didn't visit OSU you could say something about how the program reflects positively on the OSU Vet Hospital. You could comment on whether you have suggested that others contact/go to OSU and why. Because Ms. Zuckerman is administrator, not a veterinarian, you might want to mention that greyhounds have very unique needs. I plan on telling her about several greyhounds that I know of who died or nearly died due their veterinarian's lack of knowledge about their unique physiology. Because of Dr. Couto's work, more veterinarians are aware of the greyhound's special needs and far fewer hounds are dying. This is the main reason why so many people travel such long distances to bring their greyhounds to the GHWP.

I should let you know the reason that I am suggesting you write a letter. Based on casual conversations with a couple of management folks at OSU (not within the GHWP), it seems that some of the "higher ups" don't understand the importance of the GHWP or even why it needs to exist. Of course, being management, their focus is undoubtedly on generating income and improving reputation. So I thought that writing a letter might help the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program gain greater internal recognition.

Jane

Guest lynne893

Thank you so much for this information-- I will absolutely write.

I think it's also important to point out the importance of the research and clinical developments that occur in the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program, and that those developments go on to have a much BROADER IMPACT and REACH across many areas in veterinary medicine, not just benefitting the greyhound species.

Universities and research institutions are all having to justify the existence of specialized programs, and it's critical that these programs can demonstrate broader, more far-reaching impact...

Thank you again!

Greyt idea Jane-I'll get right on it. As many here know I'm a veterinary technician working in a pretty progressive practice here in Nj. I am also surrounded by many excellent referral and specialty veterinary hospitals all staffed with some brilliant Drs. Yet, when one of my hounds falls with a questionable illness or requires a surgery we make the 8 hour trip to Ohio State. I have been there multiple times (including meeting some GTers including you Jane :-) ) & I have never, ever been disappointed with the care we have received. The costs are a fraction-I mean a fraction of what it would cost here. They have always been prompt with returning messages-example-I sent some radiographs to Dr Kellogg this past Sunday hoping to receive a return e-mail a few days later. Well, let's just say she must not be a football fan because rather than watching the Super Bowl she was reading the radiographs and e-mailing me Sunday evening! When you want the best you go to the best. Now if they would only consider opening a satellite faculty here on the coast so I can save on some gas money!! :-)

Guest twoskinnydogs

Consider it done!! I think this is a greyt idea....just so the new director knows how much we appreciate OSU GHWP and the Doctors at their facility! I have made that 7 hour trip and because of Dr. Couto's knoweldge mt Toby got to spend 16 weeks here that he would not have if I didn't go to OSU. I am with everyone else when I say that the GHWP is truely the best!

That is a great idea Jane as Dr. Coutu and his team have and continue to help Greyhound health in many ways. They are an invaluable resource when your pup is sick. His team helped Dr. Bruce who performed Charlie's amputation and Dr. C. himself communicated with me when Charlie's health was failing and he fought his final battle. He even offered to perform surgery that week and would open a spot just for my boy. He is a true angel to Greyhounds and their owners.

I will write a letter this week. Thanks again Jane.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm with you Jane. It will be awesome for this large gh community of ours let the "higher ups" know that OSU is known and respected

NATIONWIDE not for their football program, but for their commitment to research and the care of the noble greyhound.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Just one comment: money talks.

Remember that next time there is a fund raiser for OSU's GHWP.

Why wait? :lol Donations are always welcome. https://greyhound.osu.edu/giving/ http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml (The Greyhound Project will match your donation)

Another thought: if anyone wants to see the facitlity/meet the saints/find out more about the program, The Greyhound Health & Wellness Conference is April 20th at OSU. It's always inspiring to hear Dr. Couto, his team & the top-notch colleagues he's roped into assembled speak specifically about the health of our beloved greyhounds & galgos. https://vetmedce.osu.edu/ceactivities/conferences/index.cfm?action=coursesview&eventID=39370

I'll put together my letter too.Thanks Jane.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

As you know I'm headed there this weekend to take Zuri for his dental with Dr. K. I will try to remember to send a letter after we get back. Feel free to remind me. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest budsmom

She will be getting a letter from GPA-WI. Dr. C and OSU impressed one of our adopters so much that she went back to school to become a vet tech and now works for their blood bank! They also helped us save a 5 year old brood mom that came into our program last fall. She had mammary cancer, and OSU was hugely helpful to us in providing advice and were ready and willing to provide meds and blood if we needed. As it turns out, only one of her tumors was actually cancerous, and since all the tumors and mammary glands have been removed, her prognosis is excellent to have a long and happy life!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I did want to clarify that although I identified Ms. Zuckerman as being new(ish), today I realized that she has already been there for more than a year and a half. I just don't know how time flies by so fast for me.

Please keep in mind that stressing the free/reduced cost services that GHWP provides to adoption groups might backfire. Ms. Zuckerman is responsible for making the veterinary hospital pay for itself. Although the hospital does not provide direct funding to the clinical (non-research) side of the GHWP, I believe they do provide the facilities at no charge.

Jane