Very Shy Greyhound

Guest mlekp

Hello,

I need some advice on how to help my greyhound out of her shell. We have had her since June, 2012 and she is still very scared and timid around us. She feels relaxed when I sit by her in her usual spot and pet her but whenever she has to get up she shakes and whines very much. We were told she would get used to us and break out of her shell in a few months but it has been 7 months now and there is not a huge difference. Thanks!

Guest grey_dreams

I've adopted three shy dogs. There are some things you can do to help them come out of their shell. If we know more about your home situation, we can help you :) How many people and other animals live in your home? Is your home quiet or busy? Do you live in an urban, suburban, or rural area? Have you been in touch with your group to get their advice and tips?

I also have an extremely shy dog. We're coming up on 2 years together, and I can see major differences in her compared to the day that I brought her home, but I have also more or less come to terms with the idea that she may not ever be a dog that is comfortable in large social situations, and I am okay with that.

One thing I did almost right away was switch Luna to a harness while we are out on walks. I'm not sure how your girl reacts, but if someone would come too close while we were outside, she had a tendancy to try to get away, which leads to the potential for a slipped collar. With the harness, I am much more comfortable and confident, which transfers to her as well.

It takes time to gain the confidence of a shy dog, but as she builds her trust with you, she will eventually open up to you little by little, and the experience is incredibly rewarding. Good luck to you!

Edited by schultzlc

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

grey_dreams, if you would also care to weigh in on my post from today (New Anxiety), I'd sure love to hear what you think of my situation and my anxious Copper!

I've adopted three shy dogs. There are some things you can do to help them come out of their shell. If we know more about your home situation, we can help you :) How many people and other animals live in your home? Is your home quiet or busy? Do you live in an urban, suburban, or rural area? Have you been in touch with your group to get their advice and tips?

It is me and my parents that live at home, so just the three of us. We have two other dogs, a husky (he's mine) and a mixed breed that is my moms. Our home is usually quiet, I work part time so I'm at home a lot just doing school ( I do school online) We live in a suburban area. I haven't been in touch with our group to get advice and tips. thanks for replying so quickly, can't wait to hear back!

Guest grey_dreams

Another thing that could make her want to stay in her safe place is if there are slippery/shiny floors that she has to walk on. What kind of floors do you have? Sometimes shy dogs are afraid of very tall men, or men with very deep voices, or people who talk loud and/or fast, or people who wave their hands/arms a lot when they speak. My dogs are scared of my mother's cane that she needs to be able to walk, and the way it hits the floor when she's walking sends them scurrying in the opposite direction. They are also afraid of the way my old father walks (so I don't take them to visit my parents).

Some dogs just take longer than others. Some dogs need a little extra help. Some dogs benefit from a lot of extra help. Some of all of those situations depends on you and how much you feel capable of doing.

If her "safe zone" is in another part of the house, you can begin by slowly working her away from it. Give her a comfy bed in a room where you spend quiet time - maybe the room you do your schoolwork in - and encourage her to spend time in there with you by blocking her access to her regular safe zone. Just for a few minutes at first. Be calm and encouraging, but don't baby talk to her. If she'll accept treats, this is a good time to use really yummy ones. She might not lay down at first. Give her some time and patience. It takes my spooky girl about 20 minutes before she's comfortable enough to relax in new situations, so you'll need to learn what her tolerances are - start short and work up to longer periods of time where she is out of her safe zone yet still remaining calm.

Visit her in her safe zone and sit with her reading or doing another quiet activity. More treats for her for being calm and not anxious.

Walking is an excellent bonding activity. Use a harness as suggested for extra security. I actually use a harness and a martingale and attach the leash to both with a coupler for my spook. Again, yummy treats can be useful letting her know this is "good." If you can load a clicker response to her it's extra good! My spook was scared of the clicker noise, so that was out for us.

You want to do things that will build her confidence. A light came on for my girl when she learned a "watch me" command. Once she got the idea that she could really look me in the eye (which is a very confident behavior) and get a nice treat in return, she began to come out of her shell at home. She will never be comfortable away from home, but as long as she is happy and healthy at home, that's all I ask for from her.

See how your girl reacts to some of the above suggestions. It may make all the difference for her. Or you may need to talk with your vet about trying some anti-anxiety drugs. Drugs are not a miracle cure, but a tool you can use to help her. No one really knows how they work in dogs, but they seem to correct some sort of brain function or imbalance that helps to put their brains in a state that helps them accept desensitization and training. Most vets will start with a drug called Clomicalm that is specifically made for canines, but you may need to move on to off-label uses of human anti-anxiety meds to find one that works for your girl. We tried three different drugs (Clomicalm, prozac, and one other I'm not remembering right now) before we tried Paxil. This turned out to be the one for us.

She is now basicaly a "normal" dog at home. Like I mentioned, she won't ever be a meet-and-greet dog - she doesn't even like most people who come to the house. But we can take her on vacation to the beach and she LOVES it - once we're there! She plays and eats and interacts with us and our other dogs. She finally is HAPPY!

All of these drugs take a week to several weeks to build up a clinically effective dose, and then they need to be weaned off, so medical supervision is a must. Also, your dog will need regular bloodwork to monitor any side effects.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest DragonflyDM
And how much do you hang out with other greyhounds and their people?

I took Boomer EVERYWHERE I could. I brought him up to every person and dog. I just immersed him with walks through Petco and Lowe's nightly. It took about three months but he is now one of the most outgoing dogs I know now.

I agree with all the other advice you've gotten. I just wanted to add that sometimes, dogs are just shy by nature. Certainly, there are things you can do to help them bond and feel more comfortable, but it's possible that your dog may always be shy. You start to recognize and appreciate small things, even if it just means she's okay laying in the same room as you. Many of them do come out of their shells, but some don't. If that's the case, hopefully you can accept that about her.

You've gotten some excellent advice--but I would also suggest it's very important you contact your adoption group. They (hopefully) know the dog a bit, and will have even more suggestions. They might even send someone over to watch exactly what's going on, and might notice something you haven't--for example, a ceiling fan that scares her, an electric fireplace the scares her. It could be lots of things-but it's important they know about what's going on so they can HELP you! That's the benefit of adopting from a group!

And please, please, please--if she is just shy by nature (as the poster above suggested some dogs are) do not assume something bad happened to her. Some dogs are just born skittish.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree that your adoption group may be able to help as they should know more about what she was like and how long it took her to adjust to previous situations. Was your girl fostered, or did she come to you directly from a kennel situation? How did she interact with people in her foster home or kennel?

How does she act away from home? Do you take her for walks around the neighborhood? Does she seem more relaxed or more nervous and skittish outside of your home?

Some dogs are naturally introverted, whether due to genetics or lack of early socialization. As others have mentioned, it helps to love and accept her as she is, and any progress she makes will be icing on the cake. However, if her previous behavior indicates that she's not as extremely shy as she has been with you, maybe there is something about your home that scares her. Is she food motivated, and will she take treats from you?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I took Boomer EVERYWHERE I could. I brought him up to every person and dog. I just immersed him with walks through Petco and Lowe's nightly. It took about three months but he is now one of the most outgoing dogs I know now.

I would not suggest this for a spooky dog. This might be great for a confident dog who is unsure of new surroundings, but could be detrimental to a spooky dog.

Instead you might find a quiet park and meet up with a few other greyhounds.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest grey_dreams
I would not suggest this for a spooky dog. This might be great for a confident dog who is unsure of new surroundings, but could be detrimental to a spooky dog.

Instead you might find a quiet park and meet up with a few other greyhounds.

Yes. For a very shy/spooky dog, that would be flooding. Not a good way to enable the dog to trust you, and not an effective training method for a very anxious dog. For them, flooding actually makes them hypersensitive to the thing they are anxious about. As gracegirl says, that method is ok for a fairly confident dog who just lacks experience.

Yes. For a very shy/spooky dog, that would be flooding. Not a good way to enable the dog to trust you, and not an effective training method for a very anxious dog. For them, flooding actually makes them hypersensitive to the thing they are anxious about. As gracegirl says, that method is ok for a fairly confident dog who just lacks experience.

I agree completely. Sometimes it can be hard for inexperienced owners to tell the difference between a truly shy/spooky dog with a dog who just lacks experience and is overwhelmed by recent changes. The questions in my previous response were to try to get a better idea of this dog's history to see what her underlying temperament seems to be like.

Most greyhounds just need some time to adjust to their new environment before their personality starts to come out. Truly shy/spooky greyhounds are in the minority, and they will most likely never become outgoing with strangers, especially when first meeting them. I doubt most experienced adoption groups would place a true spook with inexperienced owners and just tell that that she'll "break out of her shell in a few months." But after 7 months with little change, something isn't quite right - either the group was incorrect in their assessment of her temperament, or there's something about her new home or routine that's interfering with progress.

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest grey_dreams
...But after 7 months with little change, something isn't quite right - either the group was incorrect in their assessment of her temperament, or there's something about her new home or routine that's interfering with progress.

I assume the latter rather than the former. I assume that she was shy but not really a "spook" because I assume most groups wouldn't place a true "spook" in a home without another greyhound and with people who lack experience. That's why it seems to me that there is something in the house that is really unsettling for her that isn't obvious for the people. The floors, ceiling fans, some kind of mechanical noise, trains, trucks passing nearby, some characteristic of the people like they are tall or have deep voices, or maybe even she is afraid of the other dogs (husky and mixed breed). The list of possibilities is pretty long. That's why it would be best for them to contact their group and get someone into the home to observe, assess the situation, and help. Seven months is a very long time for a dog to be anxious, and that could push a shy dog into deeper forms of anxiety. That has ramifications for health. My experience with spooks is that, at least inside the house, they are relaxed and comfortable within 1-3 weeks. But my house is very quiet, just me, the dogs, and the cat, and a quiet neighborhood.

I assume the latter rather than the former. I assume that she was shy but not really a "spook" because I assume most groups wouldn't place a true "spook" in a home without another greyhound and with people who lack experience. That's why it seems to me that there is something in the house that is really unsettling for her that isn't obvious for the people. The floors, ceiling fans, some kind of mechanical noise, trains, trucks passing nearby, some characteristic of the people like they are tall or have deep voices, or maybe even she is afraid of the other dogs (husky and mixed breed). The list of possibilities is pretty long. That's why it would be best for them to contact their group and get someone into the home to observe, assess the situation, and help. Seven months is a very long time for a dog to be anxious, and that could push a shy dog into deeper forms of anxiety. That has ramifications for health. My experience with spooks is that, at least inside the house, they are relaxed and comfortable within 1-3 weeks. But my house is very quiet, just me, the dogs, and the cat, and a quiet neighborhood.

We do have slippery floors right next to the spot she's chosen and she does not like to walk across them at all, but she has to to be able to go out to the bathroom or in any other room.

Some dogs just take longer than others. Some dogs need a little extra help. Some dogs benefit from a lot of extra help. Some of all of those situations depends on you and how much you feel capable of doing.

If her "safe zone" is in another part of the house, you can begin by slowly working her away from it. Give her a comfy bed in a room where you spend quiet time - maybe the room you do your schoolwork in - and encourage her to spend time in there with you by blocking her access to her regular safe zone. Just for a few minutes at first. Be calm and encouraging, but don't baby talk to her. If she'll accept treats, this is a good time to use really yummy ones. She might not lay down at first. Give her some time and patience. It takes my spooky girl about 20 minutes before she's comfortable enough to relax in new situations, so you'll need to learn what her tolerances are - start short and work up to longer periods of time where she is out of her safe zone yet still remaining calm.

Visit her in her safe zone and sit with her reading or doing another quiet activity. More treats for her for being calm and not anxious.

Walking is an excellent bonding activity. Use a harness as suggested for extra security. I actually use a harness and a martingale and attach the leash to both with a coupler for my spook. Again, yummy treats can be useful letting her know this is "good." If you can load a clicker response to her it's extra good! My spook was scared of the clicker noise, so that was out for us.

You want to do things that will build her confidence. A light came on for my girl when she learned a "watch me" command. Once she got the idea that she could really look me in the eye (which is a very confident behavior) and get a nice treat in return, she began to come out of her shell at home. She will never be comfortable away from home, but as long as she is happy and healthy at home, that's all I ask for from her.

See how your girl reacts to some of the above suggestions. It may make all the difference for her. Or you may need to talk with your vet about trying some anti-anxiety drugs. Drugs are not a miracle cure, but a tool you can use to help her. No one really knows how they work in dogs, but they seem to correct some sort of brain function or imbalance that helps to put their brains in a state that helps them accept desensitization and training. Most vets will start with a drug called Clomicalm that is specifically made for canines, but you may need to move on to off-label uses of human anti-anxiety meds to find one that works for your girl. We tried three different drugs (Clomicalm, prozac, and one other I'm not remembering right now) before we tried Paxil. This turned out to be the one for us.

She is now basicaly a "normal" dog at home. Like I mentioned, she won't ever be a meet-and-greet dog - she doesn't even like most people who come to the house. But we can take her on vacation to the beach and she LOVES it - once we're there! She plays and eats and interacts with us and our other dogs. She finally is HAPPY!

All of these drugs take a week to several weeks to build up a clinically effective dose, and then they need to be weaned off, so medical supervision is a must. Also, your dog will need regular bloodwork to monitor any side effects.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your advice, it was very helpful and I will definitely use it!

Thanks again for your advice, I will talk to my parents and have them call someone from our adoption group to observe.

Try putting some rugs or carpet runners down over the parts of the slick floors that she has to walk on. She may only need them temporarily until she gets more comfortable.

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I will echo what others have said, call the group you got your hound from. That is why they do what they do. They are there to help.

I agree that your adoption group may be able to help as they should know more about what she was like and how long it took her to adjust to previous situations. Was your girl fostered, or did she come to you directly from a kennel situation? How did she interact with people in her foster home or kennel?

How does she act away from home? Do you take her for walks around the neighborhood? Does she seem more relaxed or more nervous and skittish outside of your home?

Some dogs are naturally introverted, whether due to genetics or lack of early socialization. As others have mentioned, it helps to love and accept her as she is, and any progress she makes will be icing on the cake. However, if her previous behavior indicates that she's not as extremely shy as she has been with you, maybe there is something about your home that scares her. Is she food motivated, and will she take treats from you?

Thanks! The lady that brought her to our house was fostering her and she said that Coby was literally in her crate all day because she worked all day, so that was what she was used to when she was brought to us. She also said she never raced because she was born shy and I definitely understand that. She is already breaking out of her shell a little bit. She seems a little more nervous when we take her out on walks, she shakes quite a bit but loosens up after a little while.