Green Tripe Sticks -- Other Suppliers?

Guest Vers

I sent Liz of Organic Bullies a thank you email, and she says she will update here when the dried tripe is back in stock; it might be a few weeks which hopefully doesn't make your dogs as desperate as it did mine. In the meantime, she gave us a coupon for new customers for $5 off a first order, code:HealthyDog

They do have trachea, cow ears and antlers as well as bullysticks. NAYY, but I'm happy with how responsive this company is.

I just ordered three bags.

Received a call the day I placed the order. They said I gotten the last two bags, gave me a refund on the one bag and then gave me a $10 store credit. How is that for customer service. I went ahead and purchased one of the Himalayan Chews. Am anxious to see if it is well liked.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm bumping this question up because I'm back to square one in my search for dried tripe. Does anyone know of any bulk or wholesale suppliers carrying it? I'm willing to buy in quantity. It's very strange to think there might actually be a national shortage of green tripe. Ideas? I've considered switching to another type of treat, but really don't think there's anything as healthy for my hounds -- so the search continues.

Guest grey_dreams

I ordered the Bingo buffalo tripe 12-inch sticks from PetFoodDirect, they were good quality and the dogs adored them. Looks like they have a sale on them right now too. Currently, the main chew that I give to the dogs is trachea from Organic Bullies. I get the 6-inch tubes. The ones from Organic Bullies are high quality, and the 6-inch tubes last quite some time (maybe 15-20 minutes, haven't really timed it out). The trachea also clean their teeth better than tripe.

I have no idea about suppliers, but in regards to the first post about tripe colour, I thought I would share this blog post I got today from my tripe supplier. They process a LOT of tripe so know all there is to know! I thought colour had to do with the food the cow ate, but I guess not....

tripecolour_zps6ee00e5b.jpg

GREEN TRIPE, BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK THAT COLOUR

http://www.boldraw.com/green-tripe-but-it-doesnt-look-that-colour/

"However, it is 100% true that the colour of the tripe is in direct relation to the outside appearance of the animal. Black coloured cows will product tripe with a black surface colour. Reddish coloured cattle will produce tripe with a beige/light brown colour. And brown cattle will produce brown coloured tripe. Within the same herd, from the same farm, feed the same diet, these colour variants will be seen.

So there you have it. Next time you see tripe and it perhaps doesn’t have the same colouring as the last batch, one of the largest contributors is the fact that difference coloured cows have different coloured stomachs – and that few of them will ever be green icon_wink.gif"

Greentripe.com has K-9 Strips. I haven't tried them, but I do order their Xkaliber quarterly for the dogs and can tell you, the quality is very high. My dogs are thriving on the combination I've hit on with the X and other raw items. I can highly recommend their raw stuff, so I imagine their treats are just as good.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

GREEN TRIPE, BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK THAT COLOUR

http://www.boldraw.com/green-tripe-but-it-doesnt-look-that-colour/

"However, it is 100% true that the colour of the tripe is in direct relation to the outside appearance of the animal. Black coloured cows will product tripe with a black surface colour. Reddish coloured cattle will produce tripe with a beige/light brown colour. And brown cattle will produce brown coloured tripe. Within the same herd, from the same farm, feed the same diet, these colour variants will be seen.

So there you have it. Next time you see tripe and it perhaps doesn’t have the same colouring as the last batch, one of the largest contributors is the fact that difference coloured cows have different coloured stomachs – and that few of them will ever be green icon_wink.gif"

Wow. I read this just before I went to run errand so stopped by the Fiesta to get a better look at fresh tripe - not bleached but raw fresh tripe. It was all taupe/beige with a greenish cast. Surely all the cattle were not beige?

Other offerings on the "offal bar" today were turkey necks, Pilgrams Pride chicken backs and necks, pork ears and tails, ox tails, calf hooves (some packaged with bleached tripe in a menudo starter kit), pig stomachs, beef and pork kidneys, liver (chicken and beef), gizzards, beef heart and what RaineysMom would probably swoon over - beef sweetbreads for $1.49 a pound.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest grey_dreams

But all those samples do contain intact rugae folds. The OP was originally asking about smooth-surfaced, pale-colored tripe, which is something different (and my dogs don't like that either). That type is likely from outer sections of the stomach rather than the interior sections that contain all the useful enzymes/nutrients/minerals.

Wow. I read this just before I went to run errand so stopped by the Fiesta to get a better look at fresh tripe - not bleached but raw fresh tripe. It was all taupe/beige with a greenish cast. Surely all the cattle were not beige?

Other offerings on the "offal bar" today were turkey necks, Pilgrams Pride chicken backs and necks, pork ears and tails, ox tails, calf hooves (some packaged with bleached tripe in a menudo starter kit), pig stomachs, beef and pork kidneys, liver (chicken and beef), gizzards, beef heart and what RaineysMom would probably swoon over - beef sweetbreads for $1.49 a pound.

:lol yup, LOVE sweetbreads! I love pig's feet too, they make SUPER stock -- nice and rich and gelatinous! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest kydie

I stopped ordering tripe sticks from Best Bully over a year ago, due to the changes, although when I contacted them they also told me the same song and dance about the light and dark product,, my dogs would not eat the light colored sticks,, and they eat everything,

Edited by kydie

Guest grey_dreams

Just wanted to add: the dogs get a lot of green tripe in their food, including raw green tripe and canned green tripe. It does provide a lot of special vitamins and nutrients, and it will stay as part of their normal diet, but just not in dried form. That's why we switched from dried green tripe chews to trachea, which provide better dental stimulation/cleaning as chews than the dried green tripe.

I ordered the Bingo buffalo tripe 12-inch sticks from PetFoodDirect, they were good quality and the dogs adored them. Looks like they have a sale on them right now too. Currently, the main chew that I give to the dogs is trachea from Organic Bullies. I get the 6-inch tubes. The ones from Organic Bullies are high quality, and the 6-inch tubes last quite some time (maybe 15-20 minutes, haven't really timed it out). The trachea also clean their teeth better than tripe.