Peeing On The Bed

Guest DragonflyDM

Guest DragonflyDM

Yesterday he came up to the couch and just started to tinkle on the floor. I came home today and the bed was wet. Not his bed… MY BED. I didn’t want to believe it was pee, and perhaps he was chewing on a bone.

Then I went to bed about 11pm. Boomer jumped on the bed with me (like normal) but he wouldn’t lay down. I wanted to see why and sure enough….he is pissing on the bed. I took him outside.

Now I normally take him out regularly. The last time was about 8pm. He normally pees in small streams… last week he was just gushing out to get back inside from the cold. Today and yesterday he was trickling a little spray.

I did have my girlfriend from Australia stay at the house for five weeks, and we kenneled him once.

Normally if he needs to go more often he will come to the bed, couch, desk and look at me. If I don’t notice, he will bark once to get my attention. I have NEVER had him just get on the bed and piss on it.

Needless to say, I had to go downstairs and get the crate and put him in for the night while I got a third set of sheets for the bed in one evening. There is a trail of piss all over the floor as he ran away from me when I cussed at him once I knew he was peeing the bed. So the past hour has been me using stain remover on the carpet and washing bedding.

Just don’t get it. Seems happy normally and OK. No other signs I am picking up on.

Guest DragonflyDM

I never thought he did it out of spite or anger. But you don’t wake up to someone essentially pissing on you in a good mood. I tried to be cool about it to get Boomer to come outside with me, but he definitely knew I was not happy.

I thought boys didn’t normally get UTI?

Boys can get UTIs. They don't get them as often as girls but they do get them.

Could also be he isn't staying out as long (thus not getting as empty) during the cold weather. Take him out more often until you can get to the bottom of things. Jumping on the bed but not settling was likely, "Da-a-a-d, I have to go out!"

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Males do get UTIs. I would take him in for a urinalysis and have a kidney panel done at least. Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest sirsmom
Males do get UTIs. I would take him in for a urinalysis and have a kidney panel done at least. Sending good thoughts.

Agree on UTI and could be some crystals.

Guest DragonflyDM

Talked to the Vet on the phone and we are going to have him seen. More diagnostic information. He is peeing more frequently. Last week he went from his small stream to a big stream and yesterday/today he is just misting for 5 minutes.

My reading says that dogs will sometimes pee on the bed if they are sick or scarred because it is an instinct to mask their scent from other dogs and predators. He may have come in the room to let me know he needs to go out, but then decided he couldn't wait and jumped on the bed to hide his pee in my heavily human scented bed.

The pee has no smell-- it is like pure water (why I thought it might initially be a lot of slobber).

So waiting to see what the big doc says and if I need to bring him in. If he has crystals or a UTI he certainly needs medication.

I feel so bad about him being in the crate all day without the good bedding (he went on that too apparently)

The pee has no smell-- it is like pure water (why I thought it might initially be a lot of slobber).

This is the part that is the most concerning. Dogs with kidney infections or in kidney failure have seemingly odorless and colorless urine because the kidneys are not concentrating it. Vet visit ASAP.

Guest DragonflyDM

UPDATE: I brought a urine sample to the vet today. They didn’t have a response for me as of yet. The pee I collected was yellow with an order. Just not the pee from last night. He seems to be OK, but I am being cautious with him.

The Vet said that there was nothing remarkable in the urine, so we have an appointment on Tuesday..

Guest mbfilby

Loki has some pee issues similar to what you are describing. Loki hoards water and will drink entire bowls full at a time. When he does this, he sometimes can't hold his urine, or, when he does go out, he will pee for 3-4 minutes, and the urine will come in spirts and pulses, not in a strong steady stream. When he hasn't gorged on water, his stream is strong and steady.

We've had him to the vet about this and they can find nothing physically wrong. What worked for us is to control his water intake, and ensure he has regular potty breaks. We also have a turn out last thing before bed always, no matter what time we hit the hay..

Guest greytone

Is it cold in your neck of the woods? Is he actually going out and going potty when you have him out? Sometimes my Freddie wants to go outside just to see what the weather is doing. And then other times, he goes out and goes potty right away.

Guest DragonflyDM

It is friggin freezing right now. But I have put the crate back up. I am taking him out more frequently and I am pulling the water after 8pm.

I will get him back on a routine. It may have been a sickness, or an anxiety, or a behavior... but that was very scary. Seeing the Vet Tuesday and see what she says.

Guest kkaiser104

No advice, just sending good thoughts for Boomer! Just thinking...could this be related to the boarding kennel incident? Didn't he act incredibly thirsty and have dark urine when you brought him home? Maybe the two are related?

Guest DragonflyDM

My daughter did suggest that this was just the day that my ex-girlfriend left back to Australia and he may have been reclaiming his territory. Perhaps…but why on me???

Just thinking...could this be related to the boarding kennel incident? Didn't he act incredibly thirsty and have dark urine when you brought him home? Maybe the two are related?

Good thinking. Josh, if this is kidney related the last thing you want to do is restrict his water. That will only do more damage and make matters worse.