Slinky's Excessive Scratch Reflex?

Guest DiforDan

Guest DiforDan

You know that cute thing dogs do when you find that "special spot" to stroke (steady on!), usually around the shoulder or neck, and their back leg goes as if to scratch it?

Well, Slinky has suddenly been doing it rather a lot, even when nobody is stroking him. He'll be going about his business and suddenly the back leg comes up. Sometimes it just waves around a bit, sometimes he will actually sit down and scratch his neck.

He had an episode a couple of weeks ago when he was obvously in great pain, and the vets couldn't find anything wrong. We suspect a muscle strain in the groin area. It seems to be fine now.

Anyone seen this sort of behaviour? The excessive scratch reflex? When it is uncharacteristic and unusual for the dog? Thanks guys.

Does he get a topical to treat fleas? And has he had it recently? I think the usual reaction to a topical would be wiggling on his back, but if the topical was mostly applied in just one itchy spot...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest DiforDan

He hasn't been treated for fleas lately.

If it were fleas I would expect the "chatting" with the teeth that they do.

I will examine him more thoroughly and check for dry skin issues as you suggest. Thanks.

I've never had a dog that chatters his teeth with fleas, nor nibbled himself, come to that. All mine have ever done is the hind leg scratch/wave.

Check for fleas. You're looking for tiny black gritty specks in his fur. Favourite spots are around the base of the neck, behind the ears, and on the back close to the tail.

He may have dry skin - this can be very itchy. Look for pinkness or redness, scabs, or dry flakes.

Also check for any little skin growths/warts. Some can be very itchy.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest DiforDan

Had a go with the electronic flea comb and found nothing (phew!)

However there was a little scab on his underside at chest level, and also his front elbow looks a little sore so I have put some anti-itch cream on that.

His skin is a bit dandruffy so I will give him a good brushing when he gets off his bed.

Also: If I rub his fur the wrong way just behind his shoulder, towards "armpit" area, his skin sort of shudders, it jumps, like it tickles or sets something involuntary off. Strange? (I tried it on my other two but they don't do that).

How long have you had your guy? When we brought Truman home, he was NOT used to wearing a collar. He was greatly bothered, and it took him a long time to get used to it. Even after a few months, I took him to a training class and people kept asking why he kept bringing his leg up to scratch at his neck. It did look quite silly for awhile, but he eventually stopped once he realized that the collar wasn't coming off.

If I rub any of my dogs' fur in the wrong direction in that area, their skin will shudder. It tickles!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest DiforDan

a_daerr, we have had Slinky for 5 and a half years, so it's not the collar.

krissn333, Even if I don't rub his fur the wrong way, his skin sort of "jumps" on that side (the left). Hmmm...more observation required I suppose.

I don't know how old Slinky is but my elderly Wink suffered from the same symptoms. We could barely touch her back without her attempting to scratch and act all twitchy/ticklely. The vet put her on a short course of prednisone /valium combination and that seemed to relieve her of those symptoms.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

:dunno Ace's skin will twitch if I touch her anywhere just below her shoulder blades up to the back of her ears. She's just ticklish.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--