Black Bump/lump On Neck

Does anyone know what this is? It's about half way down the side of Zuri's neck. He's had it for at least a few years, but its been gradually getting bigger lately. It's firm, but not rock hard.

IMAG2344.jpg

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Due to the pigmentation and the recent history of change in size I would ask the vet. You need to rule out Melanoma (though I think they look more irregular in shape and are less consistent in texture and coloration). Most likely it is benign, but what if it isn't? That's why it is worth paying the vet to take a look.

Suggest vet visit also. I'd go into it presuming it is benign but would still want that checked. It reminds me of something my dad's dog has had for years. At one point it went for slight bump to something resembling the size/shape of an engorged tick. Can't remember what it is but it is benign & never grew any bigger.

Jim had one that looked a lot like that but was about the size of a pea when I first saw it - I thought it was a tick at first. Turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma. We took it off, and it never returned or spread.

Let us know what the vet says!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My vet has looked at it already (we decided on the "wait and see" approach at that time) and of course I will have her look at it again. Actually, Zuri is getting a dental within the next month so I am guessing there's a good chance we'll just take it off at that time, but in the meantime, I just wanted to get any insight I could into what it might be.

Jim had one that looked a lot like that but was about the size of a pea when I first saw it - I thought it was a tick at first. Turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma. We took it off, and it never returned or spread.

Let us know what the vet says!

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Diamond has something similar on her leg. It's black because she's a spotty dog underneath all that white hair and has pigmented skin in that spot. Her vet says it's basically a mole and nothing to be concerned about unless it changes size or shape. She did recommend that we have it removed, just because, if Diamond has a dental or is under anesthesia for anything else.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest snoopycomehome

Dragon has one on his rump, and has had it for 2+ years (had it when he came to us). It is maybe 2mmX3mm and shiny black. Almost looks like a scab. The vet isn't concerned, but I think I will have him remove it at his next dental.