Toe Injury...could Use Advice Quickly!

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

I'm posting on behalf of me mom. They came home to a very restless Snowy and upon further inspection found this injury...

8390176199_c1d70d7803.jpg
IMG_20130117_194006_616 by Katelyn Kaiser, on Flickr
It looks like the webbing is gone. They have no idea what happened or when, and my mom isn't sure if this can wait until tomorrow afternoon or if they should go into the emergency vet tonight. She's been in contact with her vet but he obviously can't make a decision for her. Would you wait or take her tonight? She's been restless, seems a little upset, but is very good about it. They've put antibiotic ointment on and wrapped it up to protect it.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

she can flush it with clean water and put some polysporin and wrap it up until morning and then head to the vet and it should be ok there isn't too much you can do with torn webbing. if the dog is in severe pain take the dog to the e-vet asap, if not it should ok until morning.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

I think tomorrow would be fine as long as they've cleaned and wrapped it. Gigi did something similar a few months ago and all our vet did was clean it out, put her on antibiotics for a week, and told us to watch her to make sure she didn't lick on it to much so it would heal. They didn't even wrap it up or anything and she was fine.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest grandmagrey

Thanks for posting the pic, Kate. That's my Snowy...with another boo-boo! I cleansed w normal saline,applied triple antibiotic a telfa dressing(non stick) padded w a clean cloth, and put a sock on her foot and secured it all w vet tape. Its not bleeding anymore...it did...a lot.!

Guest grandmagrey

Thanks for the advice. Snowy is sleeping quite contentedly. And I might add, liking the cute sock on her foot! Gotta lovvvve her! I was worrying and contemplating spending big $ at the e-vet. As usual, the advice here is expert and sensible! Thanks so much everyone!

Kathy and Snowy

Edited by grandmagrey

This is a pretty nifty product. Call them if you have a question about sizing.

http://www.pawflex.com/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yikes. My girl did this while I was out of town & had a critter sitter. It did indeed happen while tearing around the yard. I chose not to have it sutured. Healed fine but had to keep her from running for a while afterwards to protect the newly healed area.

Take note of this advice. You MUST leash walk for the duration of the healing process & best to continue for a little while afterwards. Heavy emphasis is also placed on the "walk" portion which is why it requires a leash. All it takes is one short zoom to undue days of healing. Just trust me on this & don't ask how I know. ;) ETA: Someone helping out thought my girl was limping so badly there was no way she could run so unclipped her from the leash because she looked "embarrassed" by pottying on leash. Oi vey! Not the case & next thing ya know she was off after a bunny with toe torn open again.

Feel better, Snowy. Take it easy on your mom.

Edited by kudzu

Guest grandmagrey

Update! Snowy is healing well and with no signs if infection. Dressing are changed 2 times a day. She tolerates this well and really likes her pink vet wrap and pink sock that helps cover her wound.

my Leyla has a few toes where the webbing was ripped in the past, way before adopting her. The problem I've seen later on after this injury, is one of those toes getting stuck below the other. She gets really scared when this happens, and holds her paw up until you right the toes, and she cries, though i don't know if it's painful or just scary for her....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.