Head Shaking

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have had Dante about 2 months now. He is 3 years old and "perfect" :wub: But I have seen him do this twice now and I'm disturbed. For no reason that I can see, Dante's head starts shaking uncontrollably - like he has Parkinson's. I don't think it's a seizure because all he does is shake and he doesn't seem to be particularly bothered by it. When I go over to him and start petting him then the shaking stops. Does anyone know what this is? What's causing it? If there's anything I can do for Dante? I have a vet appt. for him in 2 weeks. The 2nd time the shaking happened, I noted time/date and plan on keeping a journal on it. The first time I just thought it was some fluke. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

DSC00295.jpg

Honestly, it does sound like a seizure. Start to make a log of the episodes. Also, if you can the next time it happens try to capture it on video so the Dr may view the episode. Keep us posted!

Btw--Dante is beautiful-congratulation on your recent adoption!!

Guest FreeholdHound

There is a post & video on Greytalk's FB page of a grey w/ a head tremor & stopping it by presenting a chewy & holding on to it so dog has to focus then the tremor stops. It was posted on Dec 17th if you want to see.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

have you given him any chicken jerky? a friend of mine has a saluki that presents with head tremors and they were linked back to the chicken jerky treats.

Carl does this from time to time. He is fully aware, conscious, can walk around, follow instructions, track with his eyes, has no confusion etc when it happens. If I pet him or give him a treat (and make him work for it a little bit) it goes away. It seems to happen in some breeds more than others, Boxers seem to be prone to it. Here is an interesting article from Examiner.com in 2011.

He seemed to do it a lot more right after I would use Frontline Plus, so I switched to Advantage and it does not happen after I apply it to him. He also seems to be doing it a lot less now that he has been eating raw, don't know if there is any correlation to that or not. He only does it once every several months or so now.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Have you observed the head shaking from before the shaking started to after the shaking stops? It sounds like a focal seizure except that it stops when he's being petted. One of mine has focal seizures but even she can't stop them and we certainly can't. She tries - changes positions, moves her head very emphatically as it to say "stop it!", but nothing works.

Have you searched for focal seizures on youtube? There are a couple of good videos on the subject.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My Pearl did this. Scared the bejesus out of me because she had heart disease and hypertension and was on a plethura of pills. But she'd do it for a little while (fully awake and alert and as soon as I asked her to do something, it stopped). It maybe happened 5 times in her lifetime. (so not much, I had her from age 4 thru 12)

This can also be a long lasting side.effect of bebesia (sp?) .. My girl has had this same type of head sheaking issue ever since we treated her for bebesia. She would have as many as 20 a week but after 3years we are down to may be one every6months. So the doc thinks it is just nerve damage.

Just thought of something: Is Dante on any meds (aside from heartworm and flea preventatives)? Has he had to do a round of metronidazole/flagyl for any reason?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It sounds like idiopathic head tremors. They are similar, but different from focal seizures. I would definitely do a consult with a neurologist before putting him on ANY anti-seizure meds. Sometimes vets assume epilepsy and prescribe meds willy nilly.